[SETUP] Two-Fold 2d3

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

[SETUP] Two-Fold 2d3

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:17 am

Post by TemporalLich »

A setup applying the Two-Fold Matrix6 formula to 2d3. Putting this here as a concept thread.
Two-Fold 2d3One row and one column are selected at random from the Mafia table to generate 1 Mafia role and 2 Anti-Mafia town roles.

Repeat this process on the Werewolf table to generate 1 Werewolf role and 2 Anti-Werewolf town roles.

There are 81 possible setups!

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Neapolitan
Town Cop and Town Tracker
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Doctor
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Neapolitan and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Doctor

ABC
Werewolf
Werewolf Roleblocker
Werewolf Rolecop
Werewolf
Row 1
Town Seer and Town Auditor
Town Seer and Town Wolfstalker
Town Seer and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Wizard and Town Guardian
Town Wizard and Town Wolfstalker
Town Wizard and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Seer and Town Guardian
Town Auditor and Town Guardian
Town Wolfstalker and Town Guardian

Populate the rest of the player slots with 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Werewolf, and 5 Vanilla Townies. You should end up with a 13 player setup.

Both scumteams have multitasking and daytalk.

Cop gets results in the form of Mafia/Not Mafia, Seer gets results in the form of Werewolf/Not Werewolf.

Doctor protects from the Mafia factional kill, Guardian protects from the Werewolf factional kill.

Tracker sees who a player targeted but can't see the Werewolf factional kill, Wolfstalker sees who a player targeted but can't see the Mafia factional kill.

Jailkeeper roleblocks Mafia and Town and protect from the Mafia factional kill, Wizard roleblocks Werewolf and Town and protect from the Werewolf factional kill.

Neapolitan gets "Clear" result on Vanilla Townies and Werewolves, Auditor gets "Clear" result on Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons. If this is not the case, "Not Clear" is returned.

Rolecop and Roleblocker act exactly like their Normal counterparts.

Roleblockers act before Jailkeepers and Wizards.

In the event a Jailkeeper and a Wizard target each other, they are not protected.
time will end
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:35 am

Post by callforjudgement »

Faction-specific Doctors = Archangel (vs. Mafia factional kill), Sorceror (vs. Werewolf factional kill). I don't think there are existing names for the other faction-specific roles, though.

Town get a lot of benefit from claiming here, but they also get a large drawback from the faction sizes, so perhaps this is balanced. (Balance in multiball tends to be screwy anyway.)

Do you have tiebreaks for handling 1:1:1 endings? (2:1:1 endings tend to resolve themselves at night after town force no-lynch during the day, so they don't normally need an anti-screw. 2:2:1 can be a problem sometimes, though.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 1, callforjudgement wrote:Faction-specific Doctors = Archangel (vs. Mafia factional kill), Sorceror (vs. Werewolf factional kill). I don't think there are existing names for the other faction-specific roles, though.

Town get a lot of benefit from claiming here, but they also get a large drawback from the faction sizes, so perhaps this is balanced. (Balance in multiball tends to be screwy anyway.)

Do you have tiebreaks for handling 1:1:1 endings? (2:1:1 endings tend to resolve themselves at night after town force no-lynch during the day, so they don't normally need an anti-screw. 2:2:1 can be a problem sometimes, though.)
I saw Doctor and Guardian used in Two-fold Matrix6. Most of the power role names come from that, though I had to make Auditor up from thin air (it gets clear checks on VTs because they are normal workers, and clear checks on Goons because that's what they want the Auditor to think).

2d3 is more townsided than Matrix6, so I expect this setup to be more townsided than Two-Fold Matrix6. Yeah, claiming not being good is good indeed.

NewD3 wouldn't work well with the Two-Fold formula mostly because a Mason is a Mason is a Mason.

1:1:1 is best resolved as a mafia/werewolf draw, town loses thing right? (maybe not, if you actually played out 1:1:1 and had the mafioso and werewolf shoot each other you'd get a town win, but that's less likely than either scum winning. Town is screwed if either scum is a roleblocker though!)
time will end
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:44 am

Post by popsofctown »

I don't want to play a multiball game, but if I did I think it'd look something like this!!! (?) !!!!
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Role PMs, adapted from the 2d3 newbie queue role PMs.

Spoiler: Role PMs
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when there are no longer any threats to town.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from the Mafia factional kill and be prevented from using their own action (unless they are Werewolf-aligned), if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Mafia
or
Not Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town NeapolitanWelcome!

You are a
Town Neapolitan

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Cleared
or
Not Cleared
. Vanilla Townies and Werewolves are considered Cleared. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result. You will not see the Werewolf factional kill.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from the Mafia factional kill during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town WizardWelcome!

You are a
Town Wizard

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from the Werewolf factional kill and be prevented from using their own action (unless they are Mafia-aligned), if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town SeerWelcome!

You are a
Town Seer

Werewolf
or
Not Werewolf
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town AuditorWelcome!

You are a
Town Auditor

Cleared
or
Not Cleared
. Vanilla Townies and Mafia Goons are considered Cleared. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town WolfstalkerWelcome!

You are a
Town Wolfstalker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result. You will not see the Mafia factional kill.

The game thread is here.

Town GuardianWelcome!

You are a
Town Guardian

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from the Werewolf factional kill during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town and Werewolves have been wiped out, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
Mafia Goons
, and
Werewolves
will all return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town and Werewolves have been wiped out, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

WerewolfWelcome!

You are a
Werewolf

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town and Mafia have been wiped out, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Werewolf RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Werewolf Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
Mafia Goons
, and
Werewolves
will all return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town and Mafia have been wiped out, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Werewolf RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Werewolf Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional PT, located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

edit: Town now has the new Newbie wincon, and scum has their wincons say "wiped out" instead of "eliminated" to reduce confusion
Last edited by TemporalLich on Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
time will end
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:37 pm

Post by Awoo »

This looks super cool.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:32 am

Post by TemporalLich »

I'm planning on running this very soon.
time will end
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:02 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 2, TemporalLich wrote:NewD3 wouldn't work well with the Two-Fold formula mostly because a Mason is a Mason is a Mason.
Technically speaking... no.

Masons can be taken as confirmed not being mafia only, particularly in setups like monks and masons.
This is a Parachute.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:07 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 7, Jingle wrote:
In post 2, TemporalLich wrote:NewD3 wouldn't work well with the Two-Fold formula mostly because a Mason is a Mason is a Mason.
Technically speaking... no.

Masons can be taken as confirmed not being mafia only, particularly in setups like monks and masons.
Yeah, but a Two-Fold NewD3 would have to allow Anti-Mafia roles to be given to the extra Werewolf and Anti-Werewolf roles to be given to the extra Mafioso to not have Masons and Monks be OP.
time will end
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am

Post by Jingle »

Probably a very swingy setup, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it run. The tracker is significantly more powerful than in regular 2D3 I think because of the additional potential for information (more prs, more scum prs). Similarly jailkeeper is not as strong. Jailkeeper and tracker both targeting a wolf pr is interesting.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:11 am

Post by Jingle »

I agree that the setup would need more retooling than this one, but it is possible.
This is a Parachute.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:12 am

Post by TemporalLich »

I will create a Two-Fold NewD3 thread as a concept then...

I still intend on running a Two-Fold 2d3 game soon
but I need a backup moderator
Last edited by TemporalLich on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:55 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Here's the thread for the multiball NewD3 variant: Two-Sided NewD3
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Meanwhile, I've pushed this setup to the Open queue.
time will end
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:18 pm

Post by Jingle »

In post 11, TemporalLich wrote:I still intend on running a Two-Fold 2d3 game soon but I need a backup moderator
Yo.

Just let me know if you want me to get hands on and shoot me a ping when the game starts and I'll check it once a day at least.
This is a Parachute.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:04 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 14, Jingle wrote:
In post 11, TemporalLich wrote:I still intend on running a Two-Fold 2d3 game soon
but I need a backup moderator
Yo.

Just let me know if you want me to get hands on and shoot me a ping when the game starts and I'll check it once a day at least.
I already found a backup moderator, forgot to strike it out.

I'm accepting /pre-ins now.
time will end
Marashu
Marashu
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Marashu
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:57 pm

Post by Marashu »

Didn't want to just edit your wiki entry without permission, but the wiki page has cell A3 in the werewolf table as town Doctor instead of town Guardian (which is what you have in the OP in this thread).
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:37 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 16, Marashu wrote:Didn't want to just edit your wiki entry without permission, but the wiki page has cell A3 in the werewolf table as town Doctor instead of town Guardian (which is what you have in the OP in this thread).
alright thanks, that was actually an error.

Werewolf A3 has a Guardian and a Seer.
time will end

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”