What type of setup is best for a first time mod?

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

What type of setup is best for a first time mod?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I’ve been seriously considering popping my modding cherry but I’d like first to get feedback on which setups, most people think would be best. Thanks. :)
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Wrong subforum, I think, because I think it'd probably ideal to do a Closed.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Where should I have posted this?
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I'm just teasing, it's not that wrong of a place to post it (I'd guess MD?)

I'm sure you'll get good feedback from this subforum alone.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:00 pm

Post by Oversoul »

I feel like running an open is perfect for your first time. Teaches you the mechanics of what a mod’s job entails: vote counts, player management, night actions, etc. Then once you feel comfortable with that, you can move on to designing/modding closed setups that you created which is really where mod skill comes into play. Recognizing what roles and combinations of roles make a game fun or interesting.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Post by popsofctown »

The normal queue provides people with premade setups.
"Well, I..."
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:09 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I can see the wisdom of both honestly. I plan to mod theme games in the future so I’m not totally crazy about pre-made setups but if I did choose one of those, which ones would be easiest for a first time mod?

I have yet to even play a single game in the Normal queue. I did however play a lot of normals on MU though, that’s probably why I don’t care for them now, I guess. I probably would enjoy modding in the open queue over the normal queue if someone came up with a workable setup for me.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:31 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 3, popsofctown wrote:I'm just teasing, it's not that wrong of a place to post it (I'd guess MD?)

I'm sure you'll get good feedback from this subforum alone.
I did consider posting this in there first but I thought this was better?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:33 pm

Post by Cheery Dog »

If you're doing opens as your first mod, you're limited to the approved open games the listmod will give you. Take a look at those in the wiki and find one you like
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:31 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 8, Cheery Dog wrote:If you're doing opens as your first mod, you're limited to the approved open games the listmod will give you. Take a look at those in the wiki and find one you like
Which queue do you think is the most optimal for a first time mod?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:06 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 9, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 8, Cheery Dog wrote:If you're doing opens as your first mod, you're limited to the approved open games the listmod will give you. Take a look at those in the wiki and find one you like
I'd recommend the Micro Queue so that you are managing fewer players, and so that your game is likely to fill in spite of not having a modding reputation yet.
You can run an open micro from the approved setups in the wiki, or you can run closed normal micro that has been pre-designed by the NRG. The latter is more likely to fill and barely more difficult to mod.
"Well, I..."
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:19 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 10, popsofctown wrote:
In post 9, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
I'd recommend the Micro Queue so that you are managing fewer players, and so that your game is likely to fill in spite of not having a modding reputation yet.
You can run an open micro from the approved setups in the wiki, or you can run closed normal micro that has been pre-designed by the NRG. The latter is more likely to fill and barely more difficult to mod.
Which do you think would be some of the best games for my first?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:19 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I strongly recommend you mod Black flag nightless
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 12, RadiantCowbells wrote:I strongly recommend you mod Black flag nightless
I'm surprised you would "strongly" recommend open setup over the other open setups that are options which makes me wonder if I'm going gullible into a joke here that that choice of words was supposed to clue me in on. But my initial thoughts is on reading the setup is that it would nightless is a mechanic that goes well with being a first time mod, flag mechanic is a mechanic that goes well with being a first time mod, and mountainous is good for a first time mod.
But apparently she -technically- can't run that setup, since the 10th player makes it not a micro, and it isn't on the approved setup list, which is the requirement for a first time mod in the Open Queue as Cheery Dog mentioned.
"Well, I..."
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:41 am

I want someone to run Black flag nightless I've been waiting for it to be run for such a long time
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:46 am

Post by popsofctown »

It looks like a really cool setup. I wonder if an exception can be made, I don't know a lot about how Opens get approved/unapproved.

I would definitely rather live in a world where first time mods are modding black flag nightless than one where they are modding Hope Plus One, which I am dismayed to learn is an approved setup.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:23 am

Post by popsofctown »

Grey Flag Nightless is similar to Black Flag Nightless. I'm not sure why Grey Flag Nightless is considered an approved setup and Black Flag isn't. I imagine RC is less excited about Grey Flag Nightless because the mafia are vengeful so really it's "nightless" with airquotes but it looks like a good setup to run.
My runner up suggestion would be Alternating 9p.
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:57 am

Post by TemporalLich »

My answer is going to be practical but boring...

a pre-designed Normal.

If it must be an open (assuming this because is in the Open Setup Discussion forum), run a pre-designed Normal anyway because the approved open setups are in sore need of being heavily reworked.

If it absolutely must be an open, run grey flag nightless as it's a simple setup.
time will end
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:58 am

Because if there's one nightkill and only one nightkill I am still going to be nightkilled
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:02 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 18, RadiantCowbells wrote:Because if there's one nightkill and only one nightkill I am still going to be nightkilled
You should have played Death List, it was secretly essentially nightless, you just had to think about the setup a long time + not misread the setup to realize that.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:14 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 17, TemporalLich wrote:My answer is going to be practical but boring...

a pre-designed Normal.

If it must be an open (assuming this because is in the Open Setup Discussion forum), run a pre-designed Normal anyway because the approved open setups are in sore need of being heavily reworked.

If it absolutely must be an open, run grey flag nightless as it's a simple setup.
A lot of the approved open setups look like setups I don't personally want to play. And additionally, when they are queued in the open queue some of them are not firing. So I think that might be a good take.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:28 am

Post by popsofctown »

If you are ok with running a 6p, the Micro Queue requires only review, not an approved status, so you could run Oka Poka's contest winner, which is a pretty decent setup and easy to manage: post 21.

Unfortunately that was the only contest winner I could find that seemed like a good fit. Last month's challenge theme was "super basic setup" but the winner was a 13p and I think it'd be ideal to start with a single digit playercount
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”