How do I design this?

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

How do I design this?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:07 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Hi, I’m thinking of modding a lovers’ game with 6 townies and 2 mafia, with a twist, which basically allows players the option of either signing up with their preferred partner pre-game or going with a random option. Role pms would be handed out only afterwards. It is my experience that the bulk of player dissatisfaction with this setup, comes from getting stuck with a partner you don’t want to work with, so with this switch, it’s the player’s choice, so they can’t complain later.

Since this would be my first game, I have absolutely no clue where to begin.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Oversoul
Oversoul
Survivor
Oversoul
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:21 am

Post by Oversoul »

So people sign up as a pair essentially? Say I wanted to pair with Mastina I would ask her and then we would both come to join your game as a pair?
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:50 am

Post by chennisden »

this is called a dance game
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:18 am

Post by Awoo »

No, because dance games have alignments given out before partners.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:01 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 1, Oversoul wrote:So people sign up as a pair essentially? Say I wanted to pair with Mastina I would ask her and then we would both come to join your game as a pair?
Yeah but you wouldn’t know your alignment, until the roles are randed.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:07 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 2, chennisden wrote:this is called a dance game
No, it’s not. It’s called a lovers’ game but yeah there are some similarities. The main difference is that everyone is already paired up before the game starts, so no pre-dance phase. There is also no IC, intermission and is nightless and plays out like a regular mountainous game. Also, you cannot leave your partner but you can vote them or self-vote if you think they’re scum, and just like any regular game, there is only one lynch per day phase.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Lovers_Mafia

Here it says 4-2 but I prefer 6-2. I’ve played both 6-2 and 12-4. If I run it a second time, it will be themed but since it’s my first game on here, it will be just normal.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:33 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 3, Awoo wrote:No, because dance games have alignments given out before partners.
Typically, they’re randed simultaneously but people are frequently unhappy with the partner they get by randing, which is why I will give players the option to choose their partners to decrease inevitable dissatisfaction. So, you would have the option to either sign up with a partner or choose from amongst the playerlist. Once there are 4 confirmed pairs, the roles will then be randed.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:56 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

I just want to be clear,
the only reason I made this thread, is because I would be a first-time mod
rather than I consider this setup remotely difficult to design. I’m choosing it because it’s one of the few setups I actually understand how to do. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:32 pm

Post by chennisden »

In post 5, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:
In post 2, chennisden wrote:this is called a dance game
No, it’s not. It’s called a lovers’ game but yeah there are some similarities. The main difference is that everyone is already paired up before the game starts, so no pre-dance phase. There is also no IC, intermission and is nightless and plays out like a regular mountainous game. Also, you cannot leave your partner but you can vote them or self-vote if you think they’re scum, and just like any regular game, there is only one lynch per day phase.

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Lovers_Mafia

Here it says 4-2 but I prefer 6-2. I’ve played both 6-2 and 12-4. If I run it a second time, it will be themed but since it’s my first game on here, it will be just normal.
"Dance" does not mean "FakeGod Dance"

Also the leaving mechanic is a fakegod thing not necessarily a dance thing

Dance just means
everyone
is paired up, usually by player choice.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:02 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Did you read mine and Awoo’s posts?
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 7, Nancy Drew 39 wrote:I just want to be clear,
the only reason I made this thread, is because I would be a first-time mod
rather than I consider this setup remotely difficult to design. I’m choosing it because it’s one of the few setups I actually understand how to do. :lol:
@Chennisden, if you want to argue about this, please don’t do it in this thread, that isn’t why I created this thread.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:39 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

There's no definition of a dance game so idk why were arguing over what is and isn't one lol
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 11, RadiantCowbells wrote:There's no definition of a dance game so idk why were arguing over what is and isn't one lol
I don’t know either, I just want advice and help in creating my game. I don’t even know where the thread that tells you specifically how to create the specific setup is.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:14 am

Post by chennisden »

Whatever you want to call these games, you'll need more than 8 players. Dance games are very fast paced, and your game would be over in about 12 hours

That might not actually be a bad thing though, a very fast game? But idk if it's what people signup for on MS and it's too big to be a marathon.
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:15 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 13, chennisden wrote:Whatever you want to call these games, you'll need more than 8 players. Dance games are very fast paced, and your game would be over in about 12 hours

That might not actually be a bad thing though, a very fast game? But idk if it's what people signup for on MS and it's too big to be a marathon.
For the last time:

It’s not a dance game and as such, it wouldn’t be structured like one. With one lynch per day and of course 2 deaths, it would take 3 game days to complete. And I will probably designate it a deadline lynch, so dependant on length of gameday - probably about a week, so 3 weeks total, from official game start. And 8 players was what Lovers’ games were originally. I don’t know how how it got changed to 6, I think that’s way too scumsided.

If it goes well, I will probably design a themed game with double the number of players and length of game, at some point in the future.
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”