[CHALLENGE] September Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:15 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 19, popsofctown wrote:@NK15: Are the Ninjas in Row 4 Column 1 intended to function as named townies who share a name with eachother but don't have meaningful power?

If so I would suggest, for identical functionality and slightly more elegance, that they be Informed Townies, information: "You know that there is only two mafia." or "You know that there is one other Informed Townie".
No. They are also incentives for the upper setup Ninjas not to claim immediately(the same is true for Encryptors).
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:48 am

Post by popsofctown »

Wiki page is totally silent on whether lovers is normal (and whether neighborlovers or masonlovers would be more normal since it's not mentioned at all)
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:59 am

Post by northsidegal »

lovers are not normal
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:03 am

Post by callforjudgement »

A role has to be explicitly listed as Normal to be Normal, under the current rules. If it isn't mentioned on the page it isn't allowed.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:17 am

Post by popsofctown »

Three Can Keep a Secret If1
Mafia Traffic Analyst Enabler

Mafia Goon

Town Traffic Analyst
Backup Town Traffic Analyst

Vanilla Townie
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:44 am

Post by northsidegal »

what's the point of the enabler when a traffic analyst already can't get meaningful results once one scum is dead?

things fall apart
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am

There are three scum total, so if the Enabler dies first, it makes a difference.
scum
town
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:10 am

Post by northsidegal »

oops, thought there were only two scum.

things fall apart
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:21 am

Post by popsofctown »

The 7-2 version of the setup would be the same mechanics with different names, 1 Mafia Gunsmith Enabler, 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Gunsmith, 1 Backup Gunsmith, 5 VT.

But I think the setup concept is funner for scum if they can "sacrifice" the Enabler for either of two possible deepwolf wincons (or also sweeping 5 man lylo), rather than being restricted to one, less flexible.

Certainly not to say it's not a setup concept worth challenging in and of itself on whether it'd be fun or not.
"Well, I..."
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 29, popsofctown wrote:

Mafia Goon

Town Traffic Analyst
Backup Town Traffic Analyst

Vanilla Townie
Backup is a modifier. Traffic Analyst is a role.
The setup does not follow the rules.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:23 am

Post by Something_Smart »

That can be trivially fixed by changing it to a Universal Backup, but the Enabler's more of an issue. I remember cfj saying somewhere that enabler is a separate role and not a modifier but the Normal guidelines beg to differ there, so I wonder how he would rule it.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 am

Post by popsofctown »

S_S, the rules explicitly stat that Vanilla slots can have a modifier. The Mafia Traffic Analyst Enabler we previously a Mafia Goon, so it is ok for me to give him 1 modifier (despite Traffic Analyst Enabler being 3 words it's 1 modifier, 1 ability).

I didn't notice the thing about Backup Traffic Analyst, there's kind of like two ways of thinking about Backups, "It's a Traffic Analyst, but modified to have this restriction: you may not use your power yet unless <> dies", versus "Here is your role: the one thing you do is hope <> dies and absorb all his powers". I tend to think about it the latter way. The former way is probably better. It resolves Gunsmith on not-yet-active Backup Vig more intuitively.

Universal Backup just kind of forces you to think about it the latter way (and like, it has to be described the latter way). So I'll do that change.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:41 am

Post by popsofctown »

Mafia Goon

Town Traffic Analyst
Town Universal Backup

Vanilla Townie

Modnote: Normal Queue Universal Backup only triggers on own alignment, so Town Universal Backup cannot inherit Traffic Analyst Enabler.
Last edited by popsofctown on Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, I..."
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:47 am

In post 36, popsofctown wrote:S_S, the rules explicitly stat that Vanilla slots can have a modifier. The Mafia Traffic Analyst Enabler we previously a Mafia Goon, so it is ok for me to give him 1 modifier (despite Traffic Analyst Enabler being 3 words it's 1 modifier, 1 ability).
Yeah, and I mean that's the thing. While a traffic analyst enabler is not really a traffic analyst that's modified, the Normal rules define it as that for simplicity. Just like you can't have a Weak Townie or a Backup Townie, you can't have a Vanilla Enabler-- it has to be attached to a different role, meaning it has to either have a new specification as a role (enabler is a role that requires another role to be listed as the thing it's enabling) or be written as a modifier, and the latter is simpler.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:01 am

Post by popsofctown »

A Traffic Analyst Enabler is a "modified Traffic Analyst"?

But a Traffic Analyst Enabler can't analyze traffic.

How does that add "simplicity"?

It seems equally logical to saying that Informed with information "This setup has a vigilante", is actually a Vigilante with a modifier.
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

is my setup balanced ?
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I think your setup is too townsided. If we loosely call a vig shot a lynch, vig can shoot night 1 and holster the rest of the game to compensate for the evens/odds issue, and mafia's win condition is mislynch 4 times. The informed mechanic is just about guaranteed to remove the vig before it can generate strong advantages on being a clear, but I think needing to mislynch an entire additional player is a bigger deal then the missing few clears you'd generally expect in a setup of this size. Additionally you need to remember you're making removing the vig cost something for the scum, they're losing NK/mislynch push freedom.

It is pretty slightly townsided and I'm pretty sure I have really scumsided setup preferences so everyone else might say it's about where they want it. Also I'm not that smrt.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:15 am

Post by popsofctown »

callforjudgment can you comment on whether my setup is legal or possible to make legal?
"Well, I..."
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm

I consider "X Enabler" to be a role, not a modifier. The role isn't actually and cannot be an X, after all (and trying to write a role worded as though it's an X just doesn't work). So the Universal Backup version is legal.

I consider "Backup" to be a modifiier "you can't use your ability until an X has died", so that version isn't legal.
scum
town
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:59 pm

Post by student »

Too Many Guns (Too Many Guns)2
Mafia Goon

Mafia Doctor

Town Gunsmith
1-Shot Vigilante

Vanilla Townie
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:05 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Power roles outnumber vanilla 7:5, so it's invalid.
"Well, I..."
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Post by student »

Thanks pops! Tweaked. (Can't have 1-shot anyhow)
In post 44, student wrote:
Too Many Guns (Too Many Guns) V22
Mafia Goon

Mafia Doctor

Town Gunsmith
Town Vigilante

Vanilla Townie
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:41 pm

Post by Jingle »

Do gunsmiths have guns? I don't think they do normally, but I can't remember. Either way, probably best to massclaim and then aim for the pools with the highest mafia proportion, since gsmiths are mostly useless.
This is a Parachute.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:48 pm

They do.

Those gunsmiths are very useful once the mafia doctor flips.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Post by Jingle »

Eh. They're okay useful post massclaim, but given 3 kills N1 the game doesn't last long enough for them to be a huge influence. Maf doc claims VT, Goons split into vig/gsmith. Any maf death clears townies, vigs prob shoot for the doc, mafia probably shoots a vig. Not sure EV wise, but I'd guess it leans townsided.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”