[SETUP+MECHANIC] Magnifying Momentum

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

[SETUP+MECHANIC] Magnifying Momentum

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Post by Vi »

please convince me to stay away from this accursed forum game

2 Mafia Lovers

5 Vanilla Townies

=7 players total

Nightless
Magnifying Momentum

Magnifying Momentum: A new mechanic, because it's not me if it's not extra.
*Players can never not be voting for someone. Players start each Day with their own vote on themselves (this is arbitrary).
*At the beginning of each Day, the FLOOR for consideration is zero.
*Who's voting for whom is only considered once every X days. At that time, it is determined that any players that do not have at least zero votes on them at that time cannot be voted for for the remainder of the Day.
*Each time X days comes around, the FLOOR for consideration increases by one. The second time X days comes around, players who do not have at least one vote on them are removed from consideration. The third time X days comes around, players who do not have at least two votes on them are removed from consideration. (etc.)
*Invalid votes (e.g. those resting on players who are removed from consideration) are placed arbitrarily.
*If exactly one player can still be voted for, that player is removed from the game. If a circumstance arises such that zero players are left for consideration (e.g. a 3-3 tie), the Mafia privately chooses one of the tied players to be removed from the game.

---

Lovers Mafia is a fairly well-established rebuke to the concept of EVs, so I threw another Townie in to compensate. Town losing on the third miss is about as generous as ye olde balance standards, ne? I've gone back and forth about whether the mechanic is pro- or anti-Town, and as of this five minutes I'm leaning pro-.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:51 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I wonder if it's just like a strictly better way of doing mafia-with-deadlines if that's not too hyperbolic. It kind of forces vanity wagons out of the game, which forces more associatives for the mafia and townsides the dayplay. (Imo, townsiding the dayplay is always good, townsiding the game as a whole isn't always)
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Post by Vi »

It's a little hyperbolic. Removing the ability to radically redirect how a Day is going has disadvantages - the worst case is when the only two players on offer are Town, everyone basically agrees that they're Town, and mechanically there's nothing they can do about it.

The other thing - the reason why the mechanic is paired with this specific setup - is that I'm not sure if it has the same effect when scum are able to bus. Since this mechanic magnifies pressure on people who are already under pressure, it seems way easier for scum to let their partners drown if they can't swim for themselves. This setup removes that privilege.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:15 pm

Post by RadiantCowbells »

I think this is a hard game for scum.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I think it's kinda 2:4 is too easy and 2:5 is too hard, right?

But anyway it looks fun
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:53 pm

Post by Vi »

Well, what happens if we bump it to 2 Lovers vs. 7 Townies and let scum have an NK? Mountainous is Mountainous but in theory it's still easier for Town than the "worst" F11 setup.

EDIT: or maybe 6 Town and let scum have one NK for N1; IDK I was never scum and haven't run a game like this so I have no personal experience with this particular sort of setup
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:02 am

Post by popsofctown »

What about

5 town.

With a N1 Loverizer on the mafia team.
I just want to feel loved
"Well, I..."
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:32 am

Post by Vi »

I'll pass. Although your idea gave me some interesting thoughts, but they're all kind of impractical.

I'll take the mechanic and try something else with it. If Lovers Mafia can't be made more palatable with an easy scooch one way or another, there's no
real
need to spend too much thought on it when there are other things that could be done with that effort.

[thread soft-locked]

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”