[ROLE/SETUP] VIP

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

[ROLE/SETUP] VIP

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:22 am

Post by mith »

From pops' suggestion and TL's name:

2 Mafia Goons
1 Town VIP
6 Vanilla Townies

The VIP's target becomes a Bodyguard targeting the VIP for the night. (I like to think of this as turning someone into a Human Shield.)

VIP is comparable to a 1-shot Vig who can't decide when to use his shot (and may not get to) and steals the scum's shot rather than generating an extra. The VIP is also effectively a Bulletproof IC unless counterclaimed. Claiming strategy may be interesting here. VIP will obviously claim on the verge of lynch, and Scum will obviously fake claim on the verge of lynch, but there may be a mixed strategy for both with regards to counterclaims.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:48 am

Post by popsofctown »

Town VIP is a really strong asset for scum. IC + unkillable have this special synergy.

I think if I ran it in the Micro queue (which has a less scumsided playerbased than the newbie queue?) I would make the Town VIP Loyal (which then requires all 9 slots to crumb which is o.k. but some people might not enjoy that)
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:22 am

Post by mith »

I assume you mean for town.

This should just be 2:7, I'm clearly not thinking well, unlike Vig, VIP doesn't generate an extra kill, so town should just no lynch at an even count.

FWIW, 2:7 with a BP-IC has an EV of 37.5%. If the VIP is targeted, there's a chance of hitting scum, and that should bump this closer to 50-50. (In practice, a BP-IC is going to be stronger in some games due to the strength of that player.) Additionally, scum do have the option of fake-claiming to draw out the role (VIP isn't guaranteed to be targeted to take out the fake claim, though obviously will target that player from then on if he doesn't counter immediately), and possibly even counterclaiming in some circumstances (for example, if it gets to 2:1:2, [edit] EV is the same whether scum fake/counter to make it a (1:1)/(1:2) census, or let the BP-IC occur; either way is EV 1/4).
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:53 am

Post by popsofctown »

Yeah I meant for town.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”