Micc's Great(est) Idea Card List

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Post by Micc »

The original card list uses Goo as the main recruitment method and balances the unrestricted cult recruiter at least in part by making it rare. A delay certainly came work too. The big hang ups that will need to be worked out are smaller details such as how recruiting non town alignment works, communication rules, win condition, card makeup, whether non-factional abilities are retained. probably some other things ill remember when i go back to look at my notes from that one game i did actually have a cult...
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:50 am

Post by TemporalLich »

There are three roles capable of cult recruiting in Great Idea, and none of them are an unrestricted cult recruiter (there's a 1-Shot Cult Recruiter though, and that specifically can't recruit groupscum).

AFAIK cult recruitments in Great Idea only change alignment, so only factional abilities are lost.
time will end
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:59 am

Post by Kerset »

How about perfectionist recruitment? Cult may recruit other players as long as they don't fail on doing so. Once their fractional ability gets blocked by anything or target dies during converting, they lose their fractional power permanently. Great Idea is meant to be very chaotic setup, so swing doesn't matter (i think?).
giv me pagetop :(
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 am

Post by T-Bone »

If I recall, to make up for the Aliens restricted kills, the Alien factional kill had priority on all other night actions...and they had another factional ability that also compensated for the lack of consistent nightkills. I think their win condition was altered to allow them to have priority on wins too.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
chamber
chamber
Cases are scummy
chamber
Cases are scummy
Cases are scummy

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:03 am

Post by chamber »

In post 28, T-Bone wrote:If I recall, to make up for the Aliens restricted kills, the Alien factional kill had priority on all other night actions...and they had another factional ability that also compensated for the lack of consistent nightkills. I think their win condition was altered to allow them to have priority on wins too.
I don't know what has been done to them online, but offline the main thing with aliens is just having completely OP abilities.
Taking a break from the site.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:50 am

Post by Micc »

In post 26, TemporalLich wrote:There are three roles capable of cult recruiting in Great Idea, and none of them are an unrestricted cult recruiter (there's a 1-Shot Cult Recruiter though, and that specifically can't recruit groupscum).

AFAIK cult recruitments in Great Idea only change alignment, so only factional abilities are lost.
ooof. that's what i get for speaking from memory.

the problem with 1-shot recruit is that it doesn't scale well with game size, same as the original implementation of limited alien factional kills. Cult recruits primarily made through goo, scaled based on game size, or non-consecutive night are all good thoughts because they scale to at least some degree.
In post 29, chamber wrote:
In post 28, T-Bone wrote:If I recall, to make up for the Aliens restricted kills, the Alien factional kill had priority on all other night actions...and they had another factional ability that also compensated for the lack of consistent nightkills. I think their win condition was altered to allow them to have priority on wins too.
I don't know what has been done to them online, but offline the main thing with aliens is just having completely OP abilities.
The Alien OP abilities work good for regular old great idea, but with the picking cards mechanic of greatest idea the reward for using alien cards gets separated from the drawback so everyone takes the alien card as an ability and no one plays alien as a faction.

The idea suggested most, and that I think ill go with for greatest idea is that if someone picks an alien card for alignment they retain the ability of the alien card in addition to an ability from their ability card. That would give plenty of upside for picking alien to mitigate the downside of limited factional kill and there being fewer cards in the deck to provide teammates.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 am

Post by TemporalLich »

1-shot cult recruiter can still be pretty frightening in endgames, but yeah it scales poorly
time will end

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”