[SETUP] [EV] Monty Hall 7p

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:55 am

Post by Mathdino »

no, for other mountainous setups
In post 43, RadiantCowbells wrote:intuitively if you ignore EV doesn't starting in lylo feel better for town's odds?
having thought about it i think 2:5 feels better because even if we lynch wrong, we get to keep our towniest player to dictate 2:3 LyLo and still get the clear from 1:2
RadiantCowbells
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
RadiantCowbells
He/him
Smooth Criminal
Smooth Criminal
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:18 am

Post by RadiantCowbells »

ut like

of your two towniest players at the start of the game in 2:5, you have none in lylo to be your safe pick to autowin the endgame and have to rely on your third

in 2:3 you get to use your single biggest townread from that point.
2019 stats: Town WR 76.7%, overall WR 81.667%, 1 scum defeat involving a major mod error in lylo vs 8 scum wins.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:45 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 41, RadiantCowbells wrote:I think EV is essentially worthless.
I wouldn't say worthless.

EV has it's use. That use is "Compare the EV to a similar setup that has been run before and is balanced to determine what EV is functionally fair" not "Try to get EV to 50%", but it IS helpful in determining starting points for tweaking truly innovative designs and determining starting points that for setups that are similar to established ones.

Also, I agree both that this setup is likely scumsided in practice and that the mechanic means a lot less outside of LYLO to the point where the first few days are mostly WIFOM.

I don't think dropping it to 2v3 fixes the balance, though, because at that point there's no accountability for lynches. It turns the game into "If the strongest player is scum, scum probably wins." without much room for town to catch on that they're being played.
This is a Parachute.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:43 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 42, Mathdino wrote:For Mountainous setups, would you feel more comfortable with a model that randomly ranked players from towniest to scummiest and lynched/NK'd accordingly?

Redoing the EV project with that in mind would be pretty trivial. You could call the status quo the Random Lynch Model and yours the Random Reads Model.
I do all balancing based on locked in day 1 sort, since rc convinced me about this a few months ago
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:45 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm too lazy to simulate possible read changes and stuff
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:46 am

Post by popsofctown »

Also I just call it "EV" because I'm lazy
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:48 am

Post by popsofctown »

The goal of mafia is to make everyone townread you and murderlate everyone who doesn't townread you.
"Well, I..."
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:52 am

Post by Awoo »

The goal of mafia is to kill everyone who disagrees with you regardless of alignment
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:55 am

Post by popsofctown »

It's not really mafia unless I can lynch or nightkill the large theme mod for disagreeing with me about whether the roles he included are bastard
"Well, I..."
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Post by Mathdino »

When you guys talk about "simulating", what do you literally mean by that? Because my version of it is either "bash out all the probabilities" or "write a program simulating random lynch/night actions and count town wins".
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:27 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Depends, sometimes the second one. I wrote temporal lich's dark angel setup in c++ and it was a hundred or two hundred lines, and it simulated several nonrandom components of behavior for that setup like not lynching someone relevant to the alt win condition if other good lynched are available.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Post by popsofctown »

It seems like there's room for programming more aligned with the readslist model, having a certain probability of the D1 readslist getting shuffled d3 and stuff and seeing how that impacts win chances. Like does a friendly meighbor help you more or less when you lock onto reads more stubbornly? I don't know I would wanna program that and run it a billion times
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Post by popsofctown »

But if you jam something out by hand and say ,"ok here on step three, the mafia shoot the cop, because they know they are in a subsetup with no doctor and the cop outed" that is still simulating behavior
"Well, I..."
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

Fwiw, I always enjoy playing RC modded games, because they are almost always fairly balanced.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

ego
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:24 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 56, popsofctown wrote:The goal of mafia is to make everyone townread you and murderlate everyone who doesn't townread you.
In post 57, Awoo wrote:The goal of mafia is to kill everyone who disagrees with you regardless of alignment
The goal of mafia is to eliminate any slots that you deem a threat to your wincon. Like even if you have a slot that is townlocking you and agreeing with you, if that player has dangerous mech powers that could potentially be a threat to your wincon or maybe they’re so bleeding obvtown, they’re unlynchable, you also need to get rid of them. In HW, I pushed back at Nos who was pushing me but I never ever wanted that slot lynched until LYLO and my reluctance to push it, caused him to do a complete 180 on my slot and tr me for it. Unfortunately for me, he experienced the equivalent of being vigged, which totally sucked for me.

But it’s 100% about threats - whatever they may be.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:39 pm

Post by Awoo »

The true goal of mafia is to kill everyone who poses a threat to your ego
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 66, Awoo wrote:The true goal of mafia is to kill everyone who poses a threat to your ego
If that were truly the case, I’d never play another game. :lol:
~the worst
~CheekyTeeky
~Taly
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:20 am

Post by Awoo »

You win when you are the best player left in the game, and no one contests this position.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”