[SETUP] Flavortown

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

[SETUP] Flavortown

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

A smalltown setup based on roles that add flavor to the game.

Flavortown
9 players

2 Mafiosi

7 Townies

Roles are distributed like a smalltown setup, they are rolled randomly and independently of alignment.

Smalltown role list:

Mason
(is in the Mason PT, each Mason knows the other Mason's alignment)
Mason
(ditto)
Neighborizer
(adds people to the Neighborhood PT)
Mailman
(sends messages through the moderator at night)
Modposter
(writes day start flavor to be posted)
Role Flavorer
(writes flavor for each Smalltown role during pregame, does not know who has what smalltown role. Flavoring a Town Mason "Dragon" causes them to flip as Dragon, Town Mason)
1-shot Namer
(may change a player's role name once in the game during night. Naming a Town Mason "Dragon" causes them to flip as Town Dragon with the Mason part of the Role PM still left intact)
Flip Colorizer
(during pregame chooses what color to flip)
Vanilla
(no special abilities)

Smalltown roles are not public.

All PTs have daytalk.
Wanted to make a smalltown setup based on flavor. The Masons should be enough to townside the setup, but this makes the setup technically bastard (though a Mafia Mason is confirmed to the other Mason as mafia-aligned!).

This is probably busted by massclaim lol.

v1.1 - Removed the part about Flip Colorizer flipping as vanilla (it doesn't matter much and is kinda bastard for no reason).
time will end
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:04 am

Post by Awoo »

Is there a character limit on names? Can I set the flavor for a mason flip to be my entire reads list?
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:25 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 1, Awoo wrote:Is there a character limit on names? Can I set the flavor for a mason flip to be my entire reads list?
I think the character limit on names and flavor should be set to 30.

That being said, I am thinking about giving Flip Colorizer a night action that colorizes flips (keeping its pregame effect).

On another note, I should point out that you will be informed of what flavor or name you have gotten.
time will end
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:29 am

Post by Mathdino »

The current issue conceptually is that there's really no way to use the flavor for game play except for giving the Mailman, Modposter, and the Namer limited last will abilities.

In practice, EV changes by a LOT depending on the alignments of the masons and to a lesser extent the neighborizer (which is +scum EV). It's a bit swingy to move forward on it.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:12 am

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 3, Mathdino wrote:The current issue conceptually is that there's really no way to use the flavor for game play except for giving the Mailman, Modposter, and the Namer limited last will abilities.

In practice, EV changes by a LOT depending on the alignments of the masons and to a lesser extent the neighborizer (which is +scum EV). It's a bit swingy to move forward on it.
The masons and neighborizer were intended to townside the setup but still keep in the theme of flavorful roles (you decide what you can post in a PT, unlike a Cop which has no flavor bonuses and still is swingy if it gets on scum).

But the masons are a major source of swing, so... idk. The PT roles were to keep in the theme of "roles that allow generating flavor or content" but provide the actual EV-wise townsiding the setup needs.

I originally considered making the modposter Unending (it can still modpost while dead!) and making a 1-shot Bah Poster (can post once while dead) role, but that would require the Dead PT to be unspoiled.
time will end
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:20 am

Post by Mathdino »

As someone whose favorite role is Neighborizer, a random alignment Neighborizer typically is better for scum when it's scum, than it is for town when town.
Mathdino
Mathdino
Survivor
Mathdino
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:23 am

Post by Mathdino »

As a concept, this is interesting. I'm not sure it works for a semi open though. If everyone knows what roles there are, it detracts from the novelty of seeing the roles play out.

Consider finding a theme in fiction that fits this idea of manipulation of words or identities? What would be a boring open could become a really fun closed theme.
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 am

Post by TemporalLich »

Hmm... I don't really know a good theme to put on a heavily flavor-themed closed Theme.

I might have to remove the Neighborizer, but the alternative to keep a EV-townsiding role that fits the flavor theme would be to have a Nymphomaniac with a PT or a Compulsive Masonizer (using the definition of Mason on this setup), which seems clunky.
time will end
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Another alternative would be to create a fully open setup based on a Town Role Flavorer (I still want to keep it a micro, and I will likely add two town masons).
time will end

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”