[Challenge] Team Mafia 2020

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:49 pm

Post by Alisae »

You might as well replace vanilla cop with just a cop they're basically the same thing in this setup lol
GTKAS
| here.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 149, popsofctown wrote:I think You Shall Not Act looks like it has a claiming strategy but is only slightly townsided or maybe even o.k. after executing it.
I think 5 differently named townies + 5 VT versus 3 scum is townsided. (With 4 differently named townies, it would be closer.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:58 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I'll take your word for it I don't really design 15ps :X
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Post by popsofctown »

The deadline for open setup submissions has passed. By my not-infallible count these were the five added since the last time Micc collected submissions into the OP:

Spoiler: Volpe
In post 128, Volpe14 wrote:
The Four Kingdoms

11 Town Monarchists

4 Mafia Monarchists

The game phases always consist of Day, Twilight and Night.

On days there's always a standard lynch by majority.

On Odd-number Twilight, a
Commander
is chosen by majority votes. The Commander during the night following their twilight election will select one player to nightkill. Only during Night 1, the Commander is bulletproof and an invalid target for mafia factional kill.

On Even-number Twilight, a
Monarch
is chosen by majority votes. The elected Monarch, if town, turns into an
Deathproof Innocent Child
. If mafia, leaves the game. Regardless of alignment, an elected Monarch isn't a valid option in lynches or nightkills.

On Nights, mafia must compulsively choose a valid factional nightkill target, and if there's a elected commander, he also must compulsively choose a valid kill. Failure to do so will randomize the targets.

Once an mafioso is
lynched
, they must in their private topics compulsively elect a
Mafia Duke
, that if
lynched
causes town to immediately win the game. While also electing one
Mafia Duke Backup
, that will succeed the Duke title if the original Duke is elected as a monarch. One elected
Mafia Duke
is also revealed to have been the Duke before election, but the
Mafia Duke Backup
isn't revealed as a Duke Backup if lynched or elected.

Once an Town Monarch is elected, during the night following their election they must compulsively select two players as
Knights
. The two chosen Knights will be added into a Neighborhood with the chooser Town Monarch in it by the start of the next day phase. The Knighted players will not suffer a change in their original roles.

Town wins the game if they either: elect 3 Townies as Monarchs, kill 3 Mafiosos by any means or lynch the Mafia Duke. (Mafioso leaving isn't considered as killed for this win con purpose).

Mafia wins the game if they either: elect 2 Mafiosos as Monarchs or reach parity with town.

One mafioso can't target another mafioso with their
factional nightkill
. However, this doesn't apply to a mafioso elected Commander, that is able to nightkill partners with the Commander's ability .

Anything failing to reach majority decision will be decided by plurality or randomized, depending on the case.

Regardless, no one can self-target their abilities.

Spoiler: popsofctown
In post 131, popsofctown wrote:
15p dance12
Vanilla Townies

Mafia Goons

Day Zero, there is a single lynch. Night Zero, the mafia equally divides all the players in the game into ladies and gentleman.

Starting with Day One, a lady may post a bolded proposal to a gentleman for him to dance with her. If the gentleman bolds an acceptance, the two players become lovers and receive a PT. During Day One, players can't vote or be voted unless they are lovers.
There are three lynches each day. At night, the mafia kill one lover, and may additionally kill any number of players who are not lovers. The first four players to become lovers are immune to the nightkill.

Spoiler: Ircher
In post 132, Ircher wrote:
Mafia Exam

15 Players: 11 Town, 4 Mafia

Daytalk is allowed and standard lynch and night kill mechanics apply
with the exception that "No Lynch" is not a valid vote.
Added in version 2.0.

Each night, every town player must submit a list to the mod of who they believe is scum. Players may include as many names as they like (including all of them), but they must include at least as many names as there are scum remaining. At the start of the following day, each player will receive back a percentage from the moderator indicating how accurate their guess was. The person who scores highest is rendered bulletproof the following night; however, if there is a tie for highest, no one becomes bulletproof.

For instance, suppose the remaining players are Alex, Bob, Charles, Diana, Esther, Fiona, and Giles. Of those seven players, Alex and Fiona are scum. Suppose Bob guesses that Alex, Diana, and Esther are scum. Then Bob will receive "33% correct" back at daybreak since 1/3 of his guesses is correct.
Deleted in version 2.0.

At the end of each day until only one scum remains, every town player will receive a pm from the moderator noting the percentage of their votes that were on scum during the day. The town player(s) with the lowest percentage die at the end of the night while the town player(s) with the highest percentage are rendered bulletproof that night. (Note that voting the same person twice in a row does not count. If Alex, Bob, Charles, Diana, and Esther are playing and Alex and Bob are scum and Charles votes Alex --> Diana --> Alex --> Alex --> Diana, then Charles should get back 50% since the fourth vote shouldn't be counted.) Added in version 2.0
---
Maybe this setup is too swingy, but I think it leads to an interesting game. I don't think there is a breaking strategy as scum can fakeclaim even if someone receives 100% back. I could also drop the bulletproof reward for being the most accurate.

Edit: Changed it to be based on votes since flips broke the previous version of the setup. The elimination of the player(s) with the lowest percentage disincentives people from voting only a few times. This also reduces the odds of someone receiving 100%.

Spoiler: gobbledygook
In post 135, gobbledygook wrote:
Next Stop11:4

24 hour Pre-game phase where the mafia team select two teammates to be
Consigliere
and
Godfather
-
Consigliere
Day 1 Neighborhood will be revealed to contain Consigliere
-
Godfather
last mafia allowed to leave, mafia immediately lose if Godfather is lynched

Day 1 will be 14 days, broken up into two 7-day sections
- 1st 7-day section game will broken up into 5 3-person neighborhoods. Neighborhoods are completely random except that Consigliere must be with two townies
- At the end of this 7-day section, the Consigliere's neighborhood will be revealed. This neighborhood will also be revealed as containing the Consigliere
- 2nd 7-day section is a regular day ending with a lynch

If mafia lynched Day 1, mafia get 2 nightkills on N1. Start to leave on N2
If town lynched Day 1, mafia get 1 nightkill on N1 and 1 leave on N1.

No lynches are not allowed, if a majority has not been reached at any point in the day phase, the day will end with plurality lynch.
Mafia can leave every other night. Therefore, if Mafia are lynched Day 1, they will be able to leave N2, N4, N6. If town are lynched Day 1, they can leave N1, N3, N5.

Wincondition for mafia is Godfather must leave, or nothing can prevent the same.
Wincondition for town is lynch two mafia, or lynch the Godfather.

I like the fact that mafia have a lot of choice in how to play this game starting in pre-game. I also like how this messes with the race to the bottom that we commonly see in games like the Flags and other mostly vanilla games.

I have no idea if this is balanced, but I think we should probably aim for something that is 30-40% winnable for town seeing as the Team Mafia mechanic is inherently townsided.

Spoiler: Farkran
In post 147, Farkran wrote:Hello, decided to try this because it sounded fun while i was thinking about it

YOU SHALL NOT ACT
2 Mafia Multitasking Roleblocker
1 Mafia JOAT (Roleblocker, Rolestopper, Rolecop, Tracker) all 1-shot

1 Town Roleblocker
1 Town Doctor
1 Town Vanilla Cop
1 Town Fruit Vendor
1 Universal Backup
7 Vanilla Townies

Mafia has Daytalk
Mafia roleblock take precedence over Town roleblock
Mafia rolestop does not block kills

Heavily PR loaded setup to encourage PR hunting by scum and nk/rb dodging by town. Massclaim is very dangerous.

The OP makes it unclear to me whether there's any formal process for community input about which setups are best or whether these will be taking to the TM mod team straightaway for deliberations, but I figured the combthrough might be helpful in either case.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:25 am

Post by gobbledygook »

I think Gammagooey’s modified tit for tat and RC’s Thunder are the closest to balanced? I would like there to be a little bit more power on the town side in the Mod Tit for Tat.
Micc
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Micc
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:05 am

Post by Micc »

Big thank you to everyone who submitted a setup! We've decided to use BBmolla's Doctor Lonely for the event.
"To hide a tree, use a forest" -Ninja Boy Hideo

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”