[CHALLENGE] December Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:47 am

Post by popsofctown »

Everybody has named guns and everybody has rope

11 Townies
3 Mafia

The abilities to be drafted are "A daykill that can only target <username>" and there are 28 such abilities, two copies for each player.
Each player has 91$ to bid on each ability they want, secretly, in pre game, spreading it out or lumping it together as much as they like. The abilities are given to the player who bid highest or second highest on the player name, if there's a tie it is randomized. You cannot bid on your own username. If a mafia aligned player's partners gain control of both of his or her or their daykills, the third place bidder will also receive a third copy of the ability.
Daykills reset the VC but do not replace the lynch. There's a standard factional nightkill.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:42 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Since time is almost over...

Evil Draft

2 Mafia Drafters
2 Town Drafters
7 Vanilla Townies
At pregame, a draft(https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Draft) becomes avaliable. Three draft draws in a row(picking the same) results in all involved players being Drafters for the rest of the time(with no other ability)
Just four picks are avaliable.
Loyal Doctor(First pick only)
Complex 2-shot Vigilante
3-shot Compulsive Ghost Vigilante(First pick only) - this person dies and flips, but has to shoot people at night, thrice...(due to Compulsive, Night 1, 2, 3)
Compulsive Self-Vanillaizer(Unlimited; everyone who picks it gets it; counts as Vanilla Townie for the rest of the game)
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Post by Ircher »

The Setups

Spoiler: NewD3 Draft by Ircher
In post 1, Ircher wrote:
NewD3 Draft

The setup is the same as NewD3, the current newbie setup. During the pregame (with roles not listed), players submit numbers to the moderator. Players are sorted into a list based on their numbers as described by Pick Your Power with the player with the lowest least-repeated number at the top and the highest most-repeated number at the bottom. This list is kept secret by the moderator. The top 1 or 2 players are assigned the town's power roles and the bottom two players are assigned the mafia power roles. (Note: Alignments are determined by the draft.) (If Mafia have a power role, the bottom player gets it.)
---
Does this count for the symmetric part of the rules? Basically everyone drafts the entire setup including alignments.

Edit: Clarified that alignments are determined by the draft and the player at the bottom of the list is the one who receives the power role (e.g.: roleblocker) while the other becomes a goon. The order that town power roles are assigned if there are two is open to mod discretion; however, the top player should always get a power.

Spoiler: Unwanted Ability Draft by TemporalLich
In post 5, TemporalLich wrote:alright here's a setup

Unwanted Ability Draft
13 players

3 Mafiosi

10 Townies

During pregame and each night phase, each player without an ability must submit a primary and a backup ability to draft.

If only one person selects that ability to draft, they permanently gain that ability. Priority is given to the ability selected as primary in case both are uncontested, but even if the primary is uncontested, the selected backup ability still counts as being selected.

Players flip with their abilities.

List of abilities:

Cop
- Investigates each night, learns if target is Town or Mafia.
Ability Cop
- Investigates each night, learns what ability the target has (or "No Ability" if no abilities).
Roleblocker
- Prevents an ability from being used each night. Does not prevent drafting.
Neighborizer
- Adds someone to the neighborhood each night.
Mailman
- Sends a message each night.
Watcher
- Sees who visited target player each night.
1-shot Day Vigilante
- Shoots during the day once in the game.
Supersaint
- Shoots the player who cast the deciding vote if lynched.
1-shot Bulletproof
- Immune to one kill.
Seraph Knight
- Protects a static target from being killed until the Seraph Knight dies. (does not protect from lynching)
Fruit Vendor
- Gives fruit each night.
Flipless
- Flips as if janitored.
Paranoid Singer
- Compulsively targets someone immediately as this ability is received. If you die, the targeted player flips as well.
Custom Named
- May have their role name be whatever they want excluding any ability from this list.
Universal Backup
- Inherits the first ability to die after receiving this ability.

Mafia have multitasking and daytalk.

Spoiler: Modifier I Hardly Knew Her by BBmolla
In post 16, BBmolla wrote:
Modifier I Hardly Knew Her
13 players

3 Mafiosi

10 Townies

During pregame, players are first assigned alignments. After this, there is a Draft. Town may not speak during this, but Mafia may. All players select two numbers and then the order of preference for all roles. If their top choice is chosen, they instead get the next one on the list that has not been chosen.

Upon drafting their modifer, they will immediately select a player to receive a role. If that player already has a role, it will instead be given to the next player on the list. This continues until it's given to a player. If at the bottom of the list it cycles back to the top.

The draft numbers are made public. Roles are not made public.

List of modifiers:

Miller
- Immediately select a player to be a Cop. You appear guilty to Cops.
Macho
- Immediately select a player to be a Doc. Protection on you will fail.
Ascetic
- Immediately select a player to be a 1-shot Vig. Actions other than killing actions on you will fail.
Ninja
- Immediately select a player to be a Tracker. You will appear to visit no one.
Chipper
- Immediately select a player to be a Framer if Mafia, Compulsive Framer if Town. You appear innocent to Cops. Framing trumps your modifier.
Loyal
- Immediately select a player to be a 2-shot Fruit Vendor. Your ability will only work on targets on the same alignment.
Neighbor
- Immediately select a player to be a 1-shot Visitor. You have a neighborhood where you can talk to the other neighbors.
Neighbor
- Immediately select a player to be a 1-shot Visitor. You have a neighborhood where you can talk to the other neighbors.
Neighbor
Novice
- Immediately select a player to be a Rolecop. You may only perform your action on Night 2 and onwards.
Odd Night
- Immediately select a player to be a 1-shot Bodyguard. You may only perform your action on an Odd Night.
Even Night
- Immediately select a player to be a 1-shot Motion Detector. You may only perform your action on an Even Night.
Night 2 and 5
- Immediately select a player to be a 1-shot Commuter. Your ability may only be used during night 2 and 5.

Mafia have multitasking and daytalk.

name is flexible

The "Both factions must have at least one player who has agency in power acquisition" is a little unclear, let me know this breaks it

Spoiler: By Kerset
In post 23, Kerset wrote:10 vanilla townies
2 mafia goon
1 strongman mafia goon

Day 1 lynch is compulsory. It will be based on majority of votes, if town fails to make it in time then game over. During N1 draft pick will happen. People, which received at least 1 vote in final D1 votecount will also receive
loud
modifier. Available choices:

N2 Mailman
N3 Tracker
N3 Poisoner
2-shot Redirector

Each person can pick only single role.
Other days have regular lynches.
Strongman can't be redirected.
Multitasking? I am not sure.

Spoiler: Friday Night Mafia Draft by student
In post 24, student wrote:
FRIDAY NIGHT MAFIA DRAFT

Players: 9, 2 mafia 7 towns.

THE CARDS:

Roles Cards:

Two-Shot Gunsmith
Two-Shot Doc
Two-Shot Roleblocker
Two-Shot Role Cop
Tracker
Watcher

Positive Passive Cards:

Vengeful
Loyal Backup (inherits unused, no multitasking)
Double-Loved
One-shot Bulletproof
Ascetic
Strongman

Negative Modifier Cards:

Hated
Lover (only active if more than 1 player picks lover)
Forever Indecisive (can NEVER target the same player twice)
Universal Miller
Novice
Odd Night

THE DRAFT

There are 3 of each card, and randomly distributed into 9 packs of 9 that have 3 Role Cards, 3 Negative Modifier Cards, and 3 Positive Modifier cards. Each pack is given to a player. A player must pick a card, and the pack is given to the next player in the player list, where they pick a card from the pack. This process repeats.

Each player ends up with 9 cards that they drafted. They must have one of each card type (italic) or is killed immediately. Each player forms a role out of the 9 cards they have featuring one of each card type, for example: even night strongman tracker.

Mafia are told of their partners are only revealed after the draft is finished.

THE GAME

The game proceeds as normal with the drafted roles.

Spoiler: Everybody has named guns and everybody has rope by popsofctown
In post 25, popsofctown wrote:

11 Townies
3 Mafia

The abilities to be drafted are "A daykill that can only target <username>" and there are 28 such abilities, two copies for each player.
Each player has 91$ to bid on each ability they want, secretly, in pre game, spreading it out or lumping it together as much as they like. The abilities are given to the player who bid highest or second highest on the player name, if there's a tie it is randomized. You cannot bid on your own username. If a mafia aligned player's partners gain control of both of his or her or their daykills, the third place bidder will also receive a third copy of the ability.
Daykills reset the VC but do not replace the lynch. There's a standard factional nightkill.

Spoiler: Evil Draft by Not Known
In post 26, Not Known 15 wrote:Since time is almost over...

Evil Draft

2 Mafia Drafters
2 Town Drafters
7 Vanilla Townies
At pregame, a draft(https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Draft) becomes avaliable. Three draft draws in a row(picking the same) results in all involved players being Drafters for the rest of the time(with no other ability)
Just four picks are avaliable.
Loyal Doctor(First pick only)
Complex 2-shot Vigilante
3-shot Compulsive Ghost Vigilante(First pick only) - this person dies and flips, but has to shoot people at night, thrice...(due to Compulsive, Night 1, 2, 3)
Compulsive Self-Vanillaizer(Unlimited; everyone who picks it gets it; counts as Vanilla Townie for the rest of the game)

I think this is all of them; let me know if I missed any. I'll likely have my rankings of the setups up sometime tomorrow.
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:38 am

Post by Ircher »

Rankings
(From most favored to least favored)
NewD3 Draft
by
Ircher
: Obviously, it is my setup, so I like it. Part of the reason I like the setup is because the draft gives players something to think about since alignnments are drafted as part of the setup. The other reason I like it is because I think most games where there is a draft are excessively swingy. I chose NewD3 since it has some variations while still being supposedly balanced.

by
popsofctown
: Setups where you can day kill other players are always fun, and the auction is a different way to do the draft then normal.

by
BBmolla
: This setup looks interesting. It suffers the same swing/balance flaw that is inherent in pretty much every setup involving a draft. I like the role-gifting aspect of it.

Friday Night Mafia Draft
by
student
: I like this setup's attempt to reduce swing by forcing players to commit to both a positive and negative modifier.

Evil Draft
by
Not Known 15
: I'm not sure I fully understand this setup. Anyway, it looks okay, but nothing really captures my attention about the setup.

Unwanted Ability Draft
by
TemporalLich
: This setup looks like a role-madness kind of setup. While I think role madness can be fun, I don't think it is appropriate for the open queue. I also think this setup will likely be very swingy, but that's a bit inherent to the required draft mechanic.

By
Kerset
: This setup looks awful to play as town. Even if town succeeds in drafting all the roles, I think it would be an uphill battle for town.
Links: User Page | GTKAS | Ratings
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [In Signups: 6/9]
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 am

Post by OkaPoka »

pops
ircher
student
bbmolla
lich
Nk15
kerset
Last edited by OkaPoka on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 am

Post by popsofctown »

BBMolla
TemporalLich

Too unmotivated to rank further, dislike the challenge, etc
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:59 am

Post by OkaPoka »

im going to yeet ur idea pops

in the future

maybe

if thats ok with you
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:05 am

Post by popsofctown »

Sure

I noticed now the setup needs some kind of tweak to make sure that town has IRL time to kill a Mafiosi who made an obviously scummy daykill before that Mafiosi fires off another obviously scummy daykill.

72 hour cooldown or something.
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 am

Post by TemporalLich »

(pops) - I want to see this setup play out but I'm not sure whether this should be higher than NewD3 or not. It's an interesting auction and can lead to chaos when people go into a bidding war on the bullet with their name on it. edit: actually yeah, this isn't a normal role-wise and the hidden aspects of chaos while somehow also being balanced deserves a freaking medal of ordered chaos. And the 72h cooldown avoids time dependency which makes the setup more balanced and fun

NewD3 Draft
(Ircher) - An interesting mutation on the draft mechanic. The alignment-based draft makes this play like a non-role madness non-bastard GestIdea setup during D1, and that's why this setup deserves to be called interesting despite being based off a Normal setup and being a Normal role-wise.

Friday Night Mafia Draft
(student) - An intentional damper on the swing (or die) is eh, but otherwise I like this setup basically being a Booster Draft but with parts of your role.

Unwanted Ability Draft
(TL) - The uncontested drafting mechanic is much more suited for chaotic and swingy setups like this one. It is meant to be used with abilities of varying power, if it were used for a balanced list of abilities that would ruin the novelty of the drafting mechanic and end up leading to mountainous more likely than one with a varied list of abilities. However the latter introduces swing, but swing is a problem with the drafting mechanic itself.

(BBmolla) - A modifier draft setup with a delegation of power roles. The inherent gating of roles is a damper on the chaos, but this seems like a fun setup.

Kerset's "Loud Day 1 Vote"
(Kerset) - This is a standard "pick your power role" setup. I am not sure if Strongman affects abilities. Seems scumsided and not very innovative.

Evil Draft
(NK15) - You somehow made the draft mechanic less fun than mountainous! I would give you a medal, but this is not a good thing.
time will end
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:07 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

There are only four submissions, and pops wins two of them with Ircher being second on these. and is second with Ircher leading on a third one. A fourth is drawn between those two.
Ircher and pops voted.
The winner is popsofctown, and ircher is second.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”