Corporate says mafia needs an autobattler

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Corporate says mafia needs an autobattler

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:42 am

Post by popsofctown »

If your online game hasn't adapted itself to an autobattler, you're losing money!
Make it happen people!
Throw some type tags onto whatever you were already using, and give out some bonuses from the base game when players mix and match them!
Don't include more than eight players! Bite sized experience! Get the queue time as low as possible!
Autobattler mafia2
Mafia Goons

Vanilla Townies

Each player is also one of several identity cards, which have certain characteristics. The moderator rolls a random card that must belong to either goon, but the mafia distributes all cards pre-game.
Night two is always skipped.
When exactly five players are alive, the town receives a one-time bonus for meeting one of the characteristic conditions among living players:
Bonuses:
Attacker
s - The rest of the game is nightless.
Healer
s - Choose two players to HEAL: , instead of lynching each day. They lose their vote and voice. If both selections are town, win, otherwise, lose.
Devil
s - Town collectively votes on a player, that player is public cop'ed.
God
s - If there are two living mafia, the mafia kills one mafia and one townie, otherwise the remaining Mafiosi chooses a player to be public cop'ed.
For each characteristic, 5/8 players have that characteristic, so only one bonus can be unlocked. Half the players have three characteristics, and half have two. That's what matters most, but these are the cards, for specifics:
Spoiler: Cards
Crimson Lotus Empress, Echidna - Sara :
Healer
Devil
Attacker

White Swan War Goddess, Valkyrie - Ciel :
Healer
God
Attacker

Night Star Divine Queen, Hera - Luna:
God
Devil
Attacker

Cruel Bleak Night Goddess, Pandora:
God
Devil
Healer

Four Leaf Clover Princess, Thumbelina:
Attacker
Healer

Yog-Sothoth, the Unbounded:
God
Devil

Pitch Black Night Princess, Lilith:
Healer
Devil

Five Virtues' One-Eyed God, Date Masamune:
God
Attacker

The inspiration for this setup was indeed the plague of autobattlers. I tried to pick something from their rising popularity that seemed somehow relevant to mafia, and I think maybe there is: players enjoy "grouping" players together in some sort of way and this doesn't have to be alignment indicative, so the "poker hands" minigame that appears throughout autobattlers has potential relevance for designing a mafia setup. Players seem to like neighborhoods and dance games and those are examples of groupings. If players' minds drift to groupings I expect that to scumside the setup, so I tried to give strong base EVs to all four paths.

What do people think about this concept?
Last edited by popsofctown on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:21 pm

Post by the worst »

oh my. i haven't considered balance yet, but this made me smile.
i'd play it for the artistic statement.

if the god effect triggers in a 3v2 situation: doesn't mafia just princess themselves and win?

edit: How much do 3,000 mafiagems cost? do i get a first time bonus? :P
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:37 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 1, the worst wrote:oh my. i haven't considered balance yet, but this made me smile.
i'd play it for the artistic statement.

if the god effect triggers in a 3v2 situation: doesn't mafia just princess themselves and win?

edit: How much do 3,000 mafiagems cost? do i get a first time bonus? :P
good catch. When I was braining it I had a restriction that you cold only Princess 2 townies 1 scum but i didn't write that restriction I just brained it.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:39 pm

Post by popsofctown »

You get 10,000 mafiagems the first time you advertise mafiascum autobattle on a digital platform if you tag #sponsored
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 am

Post by popsofctown »

I replaced the God bonus with something else for now. I like the idea of saying "town has to play the hard 3p LyLo but they get to skip the easy 5p LyLo and that's the bonus they get" but it was tricky to word/get what I want and I gave up.

For posterity sake the version the worst criticized was: "The mafia choose three players to become Beloved Princesses. All other players are public cop'ed."
"Well, I..."
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:28 am

Post by mith »

Wouldn't "Mafia public cop (or just outright kill) 1 Mafia and 1 Townie" be the equivalent of what you were going for? You could couple that with the second part of the new version.

(It's only a difference of 40% EV and 33% EV, so not a huge deal either way.)
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:08 am

Post by popsofctown »

In post 5, mith wrote:Wouldn't "Mafia public cop (or just outright kill) 1 Mafia and 1 Townie" be the equivalent of what you were going for? You could couple that with the second part of the new version.

(It's only a difference of 40% EV and 33% EV, so not a huge deal either way.)
Yeah I thought about that, but I didn't want to write something that's "Case one: do X, case 2: do Y"
But then I ended up with going something that is written that anyway, as you have pointed out, so I'm not making much sense. I think it's generally worthwhile to sacrifice aesthetics, too.

Random for-the-record aside: Autobattlers almost always have exactly 8 players, but I originally tried to make this as a 7p. The numbers on typings just didn't work out as easily unless it was changed to 8p.
changelog:
Gods: If there are two living mafia, they become lovers, otherwise the remaining Mafiosi chooses a player to be public cop'ed -> If there are two living mafia, the mafia kills one mafia and one townie, otherwise the remaining Mafiosi chooses a player to be public cop'ed.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:09 am

Post by popsofctown »

I want to play this setup
"Well, I..."
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

In post 7, popsofctown wrote:I want to play this setup
Should/can I mod this as written?
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:23 pm

Post by the worst »

yes please - if you do i'm happy to backup/comod if you'd like
if i weren't in the queue i'd do it
who's scum? i haven't read up yet but like, it's me
--
intermittent v/la until late march
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 8, Dunnstral wrote:
In post 7, popsofctown wrote:I want to play this setup
Should/can I mod this as written?
YES!

Mith is a pretty experienced open setup reviewer, naturally, him picking at a minor issue he said wasn't a dealbreaker implies it has no major issues.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Micro queue might be the best queue for it
"Well, I..."
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:01 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

If mafia can kill night 1, can't they deny all the bonuses by killing based on what town lynched?

Example: Town lynches Healer/Devil, mafia can night kill God/Attacker or God/Attacker/Healer
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Yeah I messed up the characteristic cards. There's supposed to be 6 cards of each characteristic so that's impossible but I misscounted it into 5 it looks like

Well I wrote 5/8, but, my brain was jumping back and forth.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:14 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I figured out how you fix it to get what my brain was trying to do: you only require 4 of a certain characteristic to be present to unlock the bonus, not 5.

It's still impossible to unlock 2 bonuses that way. Mafia have to match the lynch's types with a nightkill instead of going differently, and even then it won't cut off all the routes.
"Well, I..."
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Autobattler mafia2
Mafia Goons

Vanilla Townies

Each player is also one of several identity cards, which have certain characteristics. The moderator rolls a random card that must belong to either goon, but the mafia distributes all cards pre-game.
When exactly five players are alive, the town receives a one-time bonus for meeting one of the characteristic conditions among living players:
Bonuses:
Attacker
Healer
s - Choose two players to HEAL: , instead of lynching each day. They lose their vote and voice. If both selections are town, win, otherwise, lose.
Devil
God
s - If there are two living mafia, the mafia kills one mafia and one townie, otherwise the remaining Mafiosi chooses a player to be public cop'ed.
For each characteristic, 5/8 players have that characteristic, and only one bonus can be unlocked. If multiple characteristics are met, mafia secretly decide which is enacted. Half the players have three characteristics, and half have two. That's what matters most, but these are the cards, for specifics:
Healer
Devil
Attacker

Healer
God
Attacker

God
Devil
Attacker

God
Devil
Healer

Attacker
Healer

God
Devil

Healer
Devil

God
Attacker

This is what I've got. In the scenario where three 2-attribute players are killed, 2 attributes are met but only one is enacted and the mafia secretly decide which one that is.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:19 am

Post by Dunnstral »

Made additional changes based on some very good feedback, here is the hopefully final version for this run:

Autobattler mafia2
Mafia Goons

Vanilla Townies

All players cards are revealed at the start of day 1.
Bonuses:
Attacker
Healer
Devil
God
For each characteristic, 5/8 players have that characteristic, and only one bonus can be unlocked. In a case where multiple characteristics are met, cards with only 2 characteristics have a "tiebreak" trait that takes precedence. Half the players have three characteristics, and half have two. That's what matters most, but these are the cards, for specifics, tiebreak characteristics are underlined:
Healer
Devil
Attacker

Healer
God
Attacker

God
Devil
Attacker

God
Devil
Healer

Attacker
Healer

God
Devil

Healer
Devil

God
Attacker
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:46 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Egg Drop Mafia2
Mafia Goons

Vanilla Townies

Pregame, the mafia distributes identity cards with characteristics referenced by the setup later. The moderator randomly selects two cards the mafia will not be able to assign to a member of your team. The cards are publicly announced after selection. Some cards have a night action.

After two nightkills, the identity cards of the two players who died during the night generate a bonus for the town based on their characteristics. If two bonuses apply, the mafia chooses.
If the cards share a type (divinity or battle style):
Attackers
: The mafia become lovers.
Healers
: The mafia choose one player to make immune to HEAL: votes, then the town HEAL: two players in a vote. If both those players are town, the town wins, otherwise, the mafia wins.
Devils
: The town chooses a player, that player is public cop'ed.
Gods
: If there are two living mafia, the mafia immediately strongkills one mafia and one townie. If there is one living mafia, that player public cops two other players.
If the cards do not share a type, instead receive this bonus: all cards with the same attribute (color) as those two cards are public cop'd.

Uriel - Attacker/Healer

Ronove - Attacker/Devil

Date Masamune - Attacker/God

Echidna Sara - Healer/Devil

Elia - Healer/God

Uranus Devil/God

Venus - Attacker/Healer, one-shot ability to become Devil/God

Haku - Healer/God, one-shot ability become Devil/Attacker

Amberjack - Attacker/Devil/Healer/God, two-shot ability to lose any number of types.

Rough draft here.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Gacha Mafia2
Mafia Goons

Vanilla Townies

At the start of the game, each player receives a card-egg. For the first six meatworld days of dayplay, they can
Throw:
their card-egg to another player with no card, cracking it open and publically granting them the card. If any townie hasn't thrown their card-egg by the deadline, all such townies are considered the day1 lynch and the setup becomes mountainous.
When a player is nightkilled, their card is pinned to the OP. Once exactly two cards have been pinned to the OP, they are examined for shared characteristics to produce a bonus for the town. If two bonuses could apply, the mafia chooses one.
If the cards share a type:
Attackers
: The living mafia become lovers.
Healers
: The town HEAL: s two players in a vote. If both those players are town, the town wins, otherwise, the mafia wins.
Devils
: The town chooses a player, that player is public cop'ed.
Gods
: If there are two living mafia, the mafia immediately strongkills one mafia and one townie. If there is one living mafia, that player public cops two other players.
If the cards do not share a type: they'll never share a color, instead receive this bonus: all cards with the same color as those two cards are public cop'd.

Uriel - Attacker/Healer - Night One neighborizer

Phantom Ninja, Jiraiya - Attacker/Devil - Can make a bah post before daystart+<prodtimer> consisting of an image of any other card

Date Masamune - Attacker/God - Disables daytalk in all his PTs.

Echidna Sara - Healer/Devil - Night Two Bodyguard

Archangel Raziel- Healer/God - Macho. Shares a PT with Lucifer. Can at any time PM the mod to lock the PT and reveal it.

Archdemon Lucifer- Devil/God - Shares a PT with Raziel. Can at any time PM the mod to lock the PT and disable Raziel's ability.

Venus - Attacker/Healer, one-shot ability to become Devil/God

Haku - Healer/God, one-shot ability become Devil/Attacker

Amberjack - Attacker/Devil/Healer/God, N1 Bulletproof, N2 chooses three types to lose.
Last edited by popsofctown on Mon May 04, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I feel that this is more complexity than most people want to see in an open setup, but maybe I'm wrong?

There's probably more bytes in the code of some large themes, but opens force you to see how the sausage is made.
"Well, I..."
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri May 01, 2020 4:28 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Time limit for the bah post?

That looks fun to me, I don't think it's more complex than what people want to see - it's something to talk about during the game
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri May 01, 2020 4:49 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 21, Dunnstral wrote:Time limit for the bah post?

That looks fun to me, I don't think it's more complex than what people want to see - it's something to talk about during the game
My expected use-case for the bah-post was a scumread based on reviewing the previous day's lynch flip and the nightkill decision. I think using the bahpost to render a verdict on dayplay from the subsequent play is less frequent, but it could come up some, and would be less fun. So I think capping it at <prodtimer> would be best.

If this is truly not too complex, that's good news, I feel really confident about the balance and complexity is the only concern (it's a pretty natural luxury from balancing a 9 player open game to get to say that, of course).

I may queue this soon.
Dunnstral
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Dunnstral
he/him
Goodfellas
Goodfellas

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri May 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Post by Dunnstral »

Well actually it looks quite complex, especially the cards that lose abilities/switch abilities. But it looks fun.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri May 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Post by popsofctown »

X.X
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”