January Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:50 pm

Post by chennisden »

I'm more attached to the second version. It allows big ball scum plays of putting themselves on the list and getting themself voted off. So beautiful.

Also this works but the way it works is so elegant, you remove the townie from the list (or do nothing if they aren't on the list) and flawless the scum, so big brain.

Also I realized I meant to write "town can only do this once" on public hitlist, but I didn't write that and I realized taking that restriction off makes me feel happier inside.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:46 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

The Journey16 Vanilla Townies
4 Mafia Goons
On some days and nights, there will be an event.
Day 1:The Town selects a leader for the journey by plurality vote. The Leader is Deathproof until Day 6(not including Day 6), or Day 3(not including Day 3) if The Trial ends with three Mafia deaths. Ties are broken in a way chosen and announced by the moderator before the start of the game.
There is no lynch on Day 1.

Day 2:The Trial:The Day 2 lynch target selects 3 living players - publicly; If they are all Mafia, they are lynched(The Leader can be selected, but they won`t die). If none are Mafia, the lynch target gets lynched and loses the game(not announced until end of game). If the Day 2 lynch target is Mafia they get lynched and lose the game. Otherwise, the lynch target is lynched.
Day 3:Gathering Food:The town selects two players. If they are both Mafia Town loses the game. Otherwise, they leave the game until Day 5.
Day 4:Protector: Town selects a Guard. That person prevents the death of someone the following night if that target is targeted with the Nightkill. They may target themselves.
Night 4:Crossroads: The Mafia selects either path 1 or path 2, along with 2 players who didn`t leave the game.
Day 5:Crossroads: Town selects path 1 or path 2. If the selected path is the same as selected by the Mafia, the two selected players die.
Night 5:Trail of Evidence: Everyone selects one person. If at least 40% of all people select a person, that person is being cop-investigated by these people.
Day 6:Trials: There are two lynches that day.
Day 7:The Path: Town can either lynch two people at once, or none.
Day 8: The End: Depends on the events before:
More than one night without kills:Mafia loses the game.
Less than one night without kills:Town has to vote for a selection of townies(at least 1). If that selection contains all town members except one, or all town members and zero Mafia members, they win. Otherwise, Mafia wins.
One night without kills:Town has to vote for a selection of townies(at least 1). If that selection contains all town members except two, one, or all town members, and zero Mafia members, they win. Otherwise, Mafia wins.
If Mafia achieves parity at any time they win.
If all members of the Mafia are eliminated before Day 8 Town wins.
Town is not compelled to lynch.
Last edited by Not Known 15 on Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chennisden
chennisden
Macho Pichu
chennisden
Macho Pichu
Macho Pichu

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:00 pm

Post by chennisden »

going with Public Hitlist.
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:00 pm

Post by student »

Shadow Realm
14 players

3 Mafia Goons

11 Vanilla Townies

Mafia may communicate in their PT at any time. Mafia has a factional NK that banishes a player (could be mafia aligned) from
Main Thread
into the
Shadow Realm
, and their roles are not revealed.

Players banished to the
Shadow Realm
have a private PT where they can communicate with each other. In the
Main Thread
, players banished to the
Shadow Realm
can only vote.

Lynching occurs normally (majority of all players that can vote). Players Banished and Not Banished can both be lynched. Mafia wins when they reach plurality in the
Main Thread
. Town wins when no mafia is alive in the
Main Thread

A different take on Treestumping. Mafia gets more freedom by deciding who to send to the Shadow Realm (Obv-town, deep wolf to influence opinions, or obv-scum to preserve a vote). Unfortunately, not a ton of town decisions, but that's the spirit of mafia, no?
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am

Post by popsofctown »

I actually don't have great ideas for this category. That is kind of why I proposed it!
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:04 am

Post by popsofctown »

Dives2
Mafia Goon

Vanilla Townie

Each night, the mafia choose a primary nightkill target, and a town player to offer the opportunity to dive. The moderator PMs that player that they have the opportunity to dive, and who they would protect. If they decide to dive, they die in place of the primary nightkill target. If they do not decide to dive, the dive mechanic is skipped the following night.

If I'm counting things out right, 3p LyLo is always a 50/50 because the massclaim of "I was offered a dive" "I was not offered a dive" rules one player out.

Even with that scumsidedness is a concern I had a hard time this month.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Post by northsidegal »

what's the purpose of asking the diver who they'd protect? or is that the diver being told the person that they would be sacrificing themselves for?
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:39 pm

Post by northsidegal »

I'm not sure this is a good idea or a fun setup but I might as well post it.

The Swap
9 Players

• 7:2
  • Lynches and Nightkills are mandatory.
  • For the first two Days and Nights, the game is flipless.
  • At the beginning of Day 3,
    The Swap
    takes place.
    • The Mafia will choose who begins.
    • When it is a player's turn to Swap, they may post
      Swap: X
      where X is any currently dead player. They will take that player's place as dead and the player they choose will return to life. Additionally, they will post
      Pass: X
      where X is a currently living player, to select who swaps next.
      • The player may choose to forego swapping and simply Pass to another player, if they choose.
  • After all living players have gotten a chance to swap, all dead players will be flipped.
  • From there, regardless of how many scum are alive, the game is in LyLo. Even if one one Mafia is alive, Town must lynch them that day to win.
    • The game also immediately ends in a Town win if, at any except during the middle of a swap, both scum are dead.

So, for example, if your playerlist going into Day 3 looks like this:

Dead
  1. northsidegal
  2. The Dark Wanderer
  3. Irrelephant11
  4. the worst
Alive
  1. Not_Mafia
  2. Nibbui
  3. Gamma Emerald
  4. DVa
  5. skitter30
A Swap might then look like this:

Not_Mafia swaps with northsidegal
Nibbui swaps with The Dark Wanderer
Gamma Emerald doesn't swap
DVa swaps with Nibbui
skitter30 swaps with DVa

So then the dead would flip:

Dead
  1. Not_Mafia,
    Vanilla Townie

2. skitter30,
    Vanilla Townie

3. Irrelephant11,
    Mafia Goon

4. the worst,
    Vanilla Townie
And the alive Townies would try to lynch the last scum:

Alive
  1. northsidegal
  2. The Dark Wanderer
  3. Gamma Emerald
  4. Nibbui
  5. DVa
As you can see, once someone who was dead is swapped to alive they'll remain there, but someone who was alive and swaps to dead can be re-swapped back in by someone else.

I think there's an interesting tradeoff for scum as to whether they want to try to actually get one of themselves killed in order to make LyLo harder while simultaneously giving Town associative information, or if they want to make LyLo easier while denying Town a scum flip.

I also think that a quickhammer in LyLo kind of ruins this setup and so I'm considering having something where everyone on a wagon in LyLo (or maybe each day?) needs to
Confirm Hammer
before it would actually go through. This would townside the setup but I think that it could potentially use that.

Interested in feedback, or if this setup is trivially broken or something.
Last edited by northsidegal on Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:45 pm

Post by northsidegal »

In post 28, student wrote:
Shadow Realm
14 players

3 Mafia Goons

11 Vanilla Townies

Mafia may communicate in their PT at any time. Mafia has a factional NK that banishes a player (could be mafia aligned) from
Main Thread
into the
Shadow Realm
, and their roles are not revealed.

Players banished to the
Shadow Realm
have a private PT where they can communicate with each other. In the
Main Thread
, players banished to the
Shadow Realm
can only vote.

Lynching occurs normally (majority of all players that can vote). Players Banished and Not Banished can both be lynched. Mafia wins when they reach plurality in the
Main Thread
. Town wins when no mafia is alive in the
Main Thread

A different take on Treestumping. Mafia gets more freedom by deciding who to send to the Shadow Realm (Obv-town, deep wolf to influence opinions, or obv-scum to preserve a vote). Unfortunately, not a ton of town decisions, but that's the spirit of mafia, no?
i think this is a really interesting idea. i'm not sure if it's balanced, but i think i would definitely play it.

the potential for mafia to send themselves to the shadow realm reminds me of red flag.

things fall apart
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 31, northsidegal wrote:what's the purpose of asking the diver who they'd protect? or is that the diver being told the person that they would be sacrificing themselves for?
The diver is being told who they would be sacrificing themselves for.
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

Permanent Marker
7 Vanilla Townies

2 Mafia Goons

Normal Day/Night cycle, majority lynches end the day instantly.
All players may also vote to HEAL: as many players as he/she/zhe wants. HURT: to undo the heal.
Once a majority of players have agreed to heal a player, all heals are removed from that player (but the player in question may still heal other player) and may no longer be healed or hurt. That player is now
Marked
. The town may heal as many players as they want per day phase.

Heals reset only on the end of each day.

Town wins when all threats to the town have been eliminated.
Scum wins when they have parity with town or when more than half of all living players are marked.

Scum have daytalk and a factional nightkill but may not kill marked players.
or
or
Goon
or
Goon
Goon

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:15 am

Post by or »

In post 32, northsidegal wrote: Interested in feedback, or if this setup is trivially broken or something.
I thought I didn't like this at first because the optimal EV play is to never swap. But one situation where it would be useful is a wildly scumread Or getting replaced for obv-town RC.

I wonder whether it becomes isomorphic to play 2 days, pick 5 players to lylo, since town can strong-arm who to swap via threat of lynch day 3.
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:35 am

Post by northsidegal »

In post 36, or wrote:I wonder whether it becomes isomorphic to play 2 days, pick 5 players to lylo, since town can strong-arm who to swap via threat of lynch day 3.
i think there's an interesting conflict dynamic here in that following through on that threat could instantly lose the game. in--for example--baton pass, not following through on a passing order can get you lynched immediately afterwards with little consequence. here, though, following through on that sort of policy would be potentially throwing the game away, and a particularly obstinate townie (or a goon trying to stay alive) could make that argument.

things fall apart
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Post by northsidegal »

bump

things fall apart
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:33 am

Post by popsofctown »

We should vote?
"Well, I..."
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:25 am

Post by popsofctown »

OkaPoka
-everything else

(I'm busy lately but his is really good)
"Well, I..."
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:04 am

Post by student »

Oka > NSG ~ pops > Nk15 ~ CFJ >> yessiree ~ TL > chennis ~ SS
brief thoughts
Oka: simple mechanism, excellent trade-off, should be engaging to play. I just wonder whether ++ EV strategy is to not mark anyone at all. I guess marking 1 person doesn't hurt? Idk I would play it.
NSG: it's an intriguing thought, but again, might be flawed since town gets to dictate essentially to bring back by strong arming. I would even remove the line that scum loses if both are dead preswap.
pops: its cute, a clean approach to the prompt.
NK15: innovative, but might be outside the spirit of mafia, and more intertwined with one of those team picking boardgames.
CFJ: Multiball. It looks like people will enjoy it, but not me.
yessiree,TL: doesn't look that fun.
chennis: I don't like choices based on reputation at the start of the game that could be game defining.
SS: Not sure how this is in the spirit of the challenge, nor why it should be run.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:25 am

Post by popsofctown »

OkaPoka>student>pops>nsg>chennisden.
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:27 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

okapoka
chennis
pops
nsg
student
yessiree
temporal lich
nk15
ss
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:23 pm

Post by student »

can we get more votes in and a new challenge for February?
Oka you should sign up to mod your setup
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 am

Post by popsofctown »

The minimal number of additional ballots for Oka's win to be challenged is 3, and 3 additional ballots is pretty unlikely at this point. I think we should just say Oka wins.

I think I'd like it if the monthly challenges went to like quarterly or somesuch.
"Well, I..."
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:55 am

Post by OkaPoka »

Ill put up a thread later today

As for modding the setup, once i get some stuff off my plate ill micro queue it