[CHALLENGE] February + March Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

some good playable pairing setups
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:21 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Your guidelines heavily encourage pairing setups
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:27 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

What we have so far:
Spoiler: Kerset's Cunning Saints
In post 4, Kerset wrote:Right i meant it to be L-0 L-1 L-2.
Cunning Saints
6 SuperSaint L-X

2 Mafia LoyalSaint

-Nightless

-Lynches are compulsive

In pregame Mafia have to assign a single number from 0 to 2 to each townie. Townie won't be informed, which number did he get.
Townies, which receive 1 will become: Town SuperSaint L-0
Townies, which receive 2 will become: Town SuperSaint L-1
Townies, which receive 3 will become: Town SuperSaint L-2
Welcome, [player]! You are a
Town SuperSaint L-X

-If you get lynched then you will kill your L-X voter. You don't know which voter will it be.
-You win if all threats to the town are eliminated and at least one town-aligned player is alive.
Welcome, [player]! You are a
Mafia LoyalSaint

-You may discuss the game with your teammate [here].
-If you get lynched you will kill your partner, if he was either your L-0, L-1 or L-2 voter. If he wasn't any of them then you will kill person, which hammered you.
-You win when you reach parity with the town

Spoiler: BBmolla's I love you not
In post 19, BBmolla wrote:
I love you not
8 Players

2 Mafia

6 Townies

Nightless
Setting up: One Player is randomly chosen to be Mafia. They pick two players. One will be made their Mafia Partner, the other will be their Town Lover.
The selected Mafia Partner assigns the rest of the players into Lover Pairs, themself included. This will result in both Mafia being paired with a Town Lover.
Town Lovers are not informed who their Lover partners are.

Spoiler: Hectic's Switch with your name on it
In post 22, Hectic wrote:
Switch with your name on it
2 Mafia

6 Townies

During Day 1, players must vote to HEAL a player. Night 1 is skipped.
Once someone has been hammered, the mafia are given kill switches for every player in the game.
The mafia must gift each switch to a player in the game. For example, they can gift the kill switch that kills player A to player B, and so on.
Each mafia keeps a kill switch.

If the HEALED player is town, they may ask for a kill switch for any player they desire. This request must be fulfilled.

From Day 2 onwards, players may activate the switch they were gifted at any time they like.
Lynches and Nightkills occur as normal.

Spoiler: DrDolittle's Babbling Bjerg Redux
In post 27, DrDolittle wrote:
Babbling Bjerg Redux.

Setup 1
2 Mafia Goons

6 Vanilla Townies

At any time, players may also vote for
Bar the Doors
instead of lynching or no-lynching. If they
Bar the Doors
, and the game is in Lylo, town wins immediately. Otherwise, town loses immediately.

Setup 2
3 Mafia Goons

1 Babbling Bjerg

4 Vanilla Townie

Babbling Bjerg is informed that setup 2 is the setup being used and of the identity of one random mafia player.

At any time, players may also vote for
Bar the Doors
instead of lynching or no-lynching. If they
Bar the Doors
, and the game is in Lylo, town wins immediately. Otherwise, town loses immediately.

Spoiler: Jingle's 8p Choose Your Rival
8p Choose Your Rival

Phase One: Playerlist is randomized. Starting with player 1, each unpaired player picks another unpaired player that is guaranteed not to be their scum buddy. Two scum are chosen with double the chances for the players who chose. Pairs are published.

Phase Two: The first lynch is on a rival pair. Both players flip.

Phase Three: Normal nightphase.

The game progresses normally from there.

Spoiler: Temporal Lich's Marathon Night v2
In post 95, TemporalLich wrote:
Marathon Night v2
7 players

2 Mafia

5 Townies

After Town/Mafia Role PMs are distributed but before Day 1, the thread is unlocked and a compulsive plurality vote decides what power roles to generate during a "role phase". The power roles will be given to random townies. After power roles are distributed (those who get power roles will get new role PMs), Day 1 begins as normal.

Role Phase Options are:

Public Cop
(checks alignment, mod will confirm that player's alignment inthread), 1
Mafia Rolestopper
(given to Mafia instead of a townie, renders target immune to all abilities)
Day Vigilante
(Publically shoots a player during the day), 1
Backup 1-shot Vigilante
(can act only if the day vigilante is dead, shoots a player during night but only works once)
Masons
(They gain a PT with daytalk to talk to each other)

Lynches and nightkills are compulsive.

The Mafia PT has daytalk.

Spoiler: ceejayvinoya's ascension without meds
Ascension without meds
1 Mafia Rolestopper
1 Mafia Goon

6 Vanilla Townies

At day 1, everyone votes for the player they want to reach "Ascended" status. If mafia is chosen, mafia automatically wins. Otherwise, the day ends and the Ascended townie becomes a deathproof JOAT (1-shot cop, 1-shot vig) the next day and the game proceeds as normal.
[/quote]

Spoiler: Gobbledygook's Flash Mob
In post 124, gobbledygook wrote:Flash Mob
6 town vs 2 mafia
3 town ladies
1 mafia lady
3 town gentlemen
1 mafia gentlemen

3 day proposal phase, gentlemen propose to ladies
7 day Dance phase

If both mafia are paired together, a Tango starts. The mafia choose a pair to kill. Town gets 1 lynch.
If both mafia are not paired together, a Flamenco starts. The mafia choose one town player to kill, treestumping their partner. If an all town pair is lynched mafia win. All other lynches are town win.

Spoiler: popsofctown's The Best Patch
In post 117, popsofctown wrote:
The Best Patch
1 Mafia Support - Blitzcrank
1 Mafia Carry - Vengeful Godfather Kog'maw

1 Town Support - Rakan
1 Town Carry - Xayah
2 Town Support
2 Town Carry

No standard lynch or nightkill.
Kog'maw can lynch himself by posting the letter "e" anytime. Blitzcrank can recommend this, and cause it to happen by proxy, by posting the letter "b" at any time.
Whenever Kog'maw kills Rakan or Xayah with his vengekill, mafia wins no matter what anything else says.
During Day 1 and 2, carries propose to supports to pair. A pairing becomes valid if the carry posts
Propose: Playername
, any uninvolved player makes any kind of post, and the support's first next post is
Accept: Playername
. When the third mutually accepted pairing of a day occurs, the day instantly ends. In end-of-day, if Kog'maw is paired with Blitzcrank, town wins; if Rakan is paired with Xayah, town wins; and if neither of those things happened pairings reset.
For day three, if the town still hasn't won, instead supports become deathproof and town has one single lynch before scum win by default.

Version 2.0, deliberately chatroom or marathon-only and activity based.

Spoiler: Ircher's SS3 Draft
In post 20, Ircher wrote:
SS3 Draft

At the beginning of the game, players participate in a draft to determine if they are town or scum. The moderator determines the specifics of the draft, but something like that used in Pick Your Power would be appropriate. Once the sole mafioso is decided, mod rands the supersaint among the two town roles. The game then functions as a normal game of SS3. Draft numbers are hidden for obvious reasons.

Spoiler: Not Known 15's Jail V2
In post 131, Not Known 15 wrote:
Jail V26 Vanilla Townies
2 Mafia Goons
There is a jail.
Jailed people may continue to talk but not vote, kill, or be killed, except by lynch.
Town may either jail or lynch, or both. Day ends when a lynch and No Jail, a lynch and jail, or NoLynch and Jail are locked in by majority. Plurality applies at the end of the day, with votes to NoLynch being ignored if there is a No Jail result. Mafia can - and must the first time(town chooses lynch) - nightkill if town chooses Lynch.
At the end of a day, if there are exactly 2 town and 1 Mafia alive and free(not jailed): Both townies select someone(either themselves or someone else) to jail a target. If both townies select the member of the Mafia to jail and the same person to perform the jail and the Mafia selected the other person to kill(if there was a lynch the previous day), town wins. Otherwise, Mafia wins.
Win condition:Mafia wins at the end of Night 3 if one of them is neither dead nor jailed(town can jail at night 3 in some circumstances, and still win...), or if they gain parity amongst players able to vote.
Town wins if both mafia are dead, or jailed.

lmk if i missed anything/which setup you want to submit as your final one/any changes/how to fix this weird indentation formatting thing with pops and cj's setup
Last edited by OkaPoka on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

In post 126, ceejayvinoya wrote:Your guidelines heavily encourage pairing setups
that is a very good point lol
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:33 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

@everyone

try and finalize your submissions and setups by the 26th so we can start voting on the 27th and close voting by April 1st
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:14 pm

Post by popsofctown »

The best patch is my final submission, best I got
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Jail6 Vanilla Townies
2 Mafia Goons
There is a jail.
Jailed people may continue to talk but not vote.
Town may either jail or lynch, or both. Day ends when a lynch and No Jail, a lynch and jail, or NoLynch and Jail are locked in by majority. Plurality applies at the end of the day, with votes to NoLynch being ignored if there is a No Jail result. Mafia can - and must the first time(town chooses lynch) - nightkill if town chooses Lynch.
If the jail isn`t full at the end of a day and there are exactly 2 town and 1 Mafia alive: Both townies select someone(either themselves or someone else) to jail a target. If both townies select the member of the Mafia to jail and the same person to perform the jail and the Mafia selected the other person to kill(if there was a lynch the previous day), town wins. Otherwise, Mafia wins.
Win condition:Mafia wins at the end of Night 3 if one of them is neither dead nor jailed(town can jail at night 3 in some circumstances, and still win...)
Jailed people CAN be lynched.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:54 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 20, Ircher wrote:
SS3 Draft

At the beginning of the game, players participate in a draft to determine if they are town or scum. The moderator determines the specifics of the draft, but something like that used in Pick Your Power would be appropriate. Once the sole mafioso is decided, mod rands the supersaint among the two town roles. The game then functions as a normal game of SS3. Draft numbers are hidden for obvious reasons.
You missed this. (Not that I expect to win.)
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:38 am

Post by OkaPoka »

changed to conform to above three posts
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:46 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 130, popsofctown wrote:The best patch is my final submission, best I got
You should make it clear that town aren't allowed to post e or b, otherwise they can conftown by doing so and not being lynched. (I assume this is intended, but making it explicit is probably a good idea.)
This is a Parachute.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:17 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Good call
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:32 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I should probably point out that the Mafia Rolestopper in my setup has multitasking, the Mafia Rolestopper can perform both the kill and rolestop.
time will end
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:11 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Jail(version 2)6 Vanilla Townies
2 Mafia Goons
There is a jail.
Jailed people may continue to talk but not vote, kill, or be killed, except by lynch.
At the end of a day, if there are exactly 2 town and 1 Mafia alive and free(not jailed): Both townies select someone(either themselves or someone else) to jail a target. If both townies select the member of the Mafia to jail and the same person to perform the jail and the Mafia selected the other person to kill(if there was a lynch the previous day), town wins. Otherwise, Mafia wins.
Win condition:Mafia wins at the end of Night 3 if one of them is neither dead nor jailed(town can jail at night 3 in some circumstances, and still win...), or if they gain parity amongst players able to vote.

Fixed some problems.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:52 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

voting is open, edited to include nk15's change

going to ask hectic which setup to use tho
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Post by Ircher »

My votes are in order of most preferred to least preferred.

Hectic: Switch with Your Name on It
Kerset: Cunning Saints
TemporalLich: Marathon Night v2
Hectic: Sacrificial Parts --> See comments on I Love You Not.
Ircher: SS3 Draft
BBMolla: I Love You Not --> Too much like Lover's Mafia, which while not bad, doesn't seem innovative enough for me.
popsofctown: The Best Patch --> While understandable, it's too complicated/too much to remember about the setup.
Not Known 15: Jail v2
ceejayvinoya: Ascension Without Meds --> 25% chance to lose day 1 seems pretty bad.
gobbledygook: Flash Mob
DrDolittle: Babbling Bjerg Redux --> Too WIFOMy.
Jingle: Choose Your Rival --> Don't understand setup.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

Kerset - A very intuitive setup that can really lead to high content gameplay, and its pseudo mountainous which is a plus in my books.
TemporalLich - I like this setup. Good mix of relatively balanced setups that should lead to interesting discussion, could work as both marathon and normal game. Balance seems decent as well.
Gobbledy - I like this take on a dance game, an incentive not to lolpair actually exists, interesting modification to typical dance games. Actual clear incentive for mafia to pair together too which makes the chess maneuvering theoretically interesting. like 66% wr vs 33% wr.
pops - I have mixed feelings about this setup. On one hand its looks like a setup with lots of town and scum agency, could lead to thought provoking stylistic gameplay etc. On the other hand, I think the amount of agency scum has, I feel like it might lead to some lol!wins where they just yolo win and its like... ok I guess. IDK this one I think it has to be playtested before I can give ~actual~ good judgement.
Hectic Switch - I think this could work as a pretty decent marathon game, and switch killing sounds pretty interesting to at least try.
ceejay - I think this is also a decent setup, although I prefer the choice of power role type in TL's setup over choosing who to ascend. I do agree with Ircher, d1 feels too swingy even for a small game. I could imagine it gets annoying where you just ascend the statistically best player and concede if they roll scum, since its d1 and people would be less invested in winning.
NK15 - I think there are layers of complexity to this setup that I'm not wrapping my head around that requires some amount of playtesting. Its neat that I can't really think of optimal play right now, although I do suspect its something along the lines of jail the most townie until d3.
BBmolla - Okay, I like the theoretical concept of picking your scum partner, but secret lovers seems idk, annoying to play with.
Ircher - This should just be standard SS3. I don't like SS3 but this is a marginal improvement over normal SS3.
Hectic Sac Pacs - I had some issues with this setup that make this feel very townsided in practice. I don't think the choose pairings pregame is enough power for scum to balance it in practice.
Jingle - Idk, the idea of this setup of choosing someone you are essentially always against isn't that exciting. A bunch of 1v1s d1 sounds masochistic.
DDL - Conceptually interesting of having two variable setups with variable scum, but in its current form its not playable I think.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

Kerset > TL > Gobbledy > Pops > Hectic Switch > CJ > NK15 > BBmolla > Ircher > Hectic Sac > Jingle > DDL
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:51 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Flash Mob > Ascension > Bjerg > Jail > Switch with names > Best Patch > Marathon night > Cunning Saints > Love you not> SS3 > Rivals
"Well, I..."
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Babbling Bjerg > marathon night > Cunning Saints > best patch > jail V2 > flash mob > choose your rival > ss3 draft > switch > sacrificial pacts > I love you not
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:25 am

Post by Hectic »

Gobbledygook's Flash Mob
popsofctown's The Best Patch
DrDolittle's Babbling Bjerg Redux
Kerset's Cunning Saints
Not Known 15's Jail V2
BBmolla's I love you not
Ircher's SS3 Draft
ceejayvinoya's ascension without meds
Jingle's 8p Choose Your Rival
Temporal Lich's Marathon Night v2
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

Temporal Lich's Marathon Night v2 - Putting this here because I like my setup and it sounds like a fun marathon game to play at least once
Hectic's Switch with your name on it - An interesting marathon setup where everyone can shoot a specific player, the healing also allows a town player to carry the game
DrDolittle's Babbling Bjerg Redux - This is very easy to create chaos in.
Kerset's Cunning Saints - A somewhat interesting marathon setup.
BBmolla's I love you not - This is a small change to a standard lover setup.
popsofctown's The Best Patch - Confusing, but seemingly worth playing as a "bullet" game (even faster than marathon)
Ircher's SS3 Draft - Just SS3 but different.
Hectic's Sacrificial Pacts - Seems townsided to me.
Gobbledygook's Flash Mob - A one cycle dance setup. WIFOM is baked into this setup with the two different dance types, but this somehow isn't charming.
Not Known 15's Jail V2 - Is this Double Day but convoluted? I don't get it.
ceejayvinoya's ascension without meds - This setup has a 25% chance of instaloss but otherwise is townsided, and thus is unfair. Even more so if this setup uses elimination for wincon instead of parity.
Jingle's 8p Choose Your Rival - Picking someone who 100% isn't your scumbuddy seems a bit odd, also the biased randomization makes it so the higher you are in the playerlist the more likely you will be suspected as scum. Probably an unfair and unfun setup.
time will end
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:29 pm

Post by Kerset »

Marathon night > Switch with names > Best Patch > Rivals > Bjerg > Ascension > Love you not > Flash Mob > SS3 > Jail
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Post by northsidegal »

Only seven votes, but eleven setups. I'll probably do the condorcet thing tomorrow, so last call for anyone who wants to get their rankings in.
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

u should vote nsg!
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 148, OkaPoka wrote:u should vote nsg!
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”