Kithkin Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Kithkin Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:37 pm

Post by popsofctown »

This idea came into my head, is it playable? Is it madness? Am I madness? Have people done this before?
It's like, treestump nominee ebonahar.

Players6
Two Power Town Kithkin

Eight Power Mafia Giants

Nightless

The town starts with a secret register of 0 Life Force. Town wins the game if Life Force reaches 20. Town loses the game if Life Force is -20, or if they take the same sequence of 8 decisions from a Life Force value they previously had (think the "ko" rule in go).

There is a 48 hour warm up. Then, every 24 hours, the moderator announces that a player has felt inspired to charge. For the next 36 hours, other players can bold
Block: Playername
to join in the blockage of that player. It takes four players to block.

If a charge is not blocked, that player performs their default charge action. The default charge action of a
Town Kithkin
is to increase the town's Life Force by two, this change is not public. The default charge action of a
Mafia Giant
is to reduce the town's life force by eight.

If a charge is blocked, no matter what player was blocked, the town loses 1 Life Force.
All eight players will feel inspired to charge once, then the cycle will repeat, but the order of players feeling inspired to charge will be random.

Is this playable? There would be some bookkeeping stuff like players listing a standing preference to always join the block on certain other players and/or sufficient town consensus on a set of blocked/unblocked players to be locked in for the rest of the game, for win or lose.
The numbers on this are currently tuned so that town can make progress by blocking 5 players, including the entire scumteam in the blockage, or by blocking one player who is scum. I'm not sure I'm happy with that, picking 1 scum 1 town to block should grant a win(?) but I don't want to dig into this because I don't think I would run the "vanilla" "mountainous" version of this anyway, there's lots of knobs that can be turned here regarding certain players being barred from blocking others, having an option to amplify another player's charge, giving the mafia a godfather with a higher charge value, adding a "lyncher" who wants to be blocking, etc etc.

This is pretty flipless I guess. Flipless is not very popular, that would be the core complaint.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Alyssa The Lamb
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Alyssa The Lamb
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Post by Alyssa The Lamb »

is there any lynches or kills at all in this game?

if not, then this sounds like it would be a mish mash game to me...?
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Yeah I'm not sure whether it's mafia, would not take a strong stance definitionally.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Hectic
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Hectic
Mad Hatter
Mad Hatter

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:53 pm

Post by Hectic »

This is interesting, but without flips I wonder how much of a mafia game it is as Alyssa mentioned.

What if the Life Force counter was revealed at the end of each cycle of 8? To counterbalance, the Mafia Giants could tank 10 power rather than 8.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:51 am

Post by popsofctown »

I'm not sure this is salvageable, because the game would become a rush to get the investigative power of the life total and I think that would preclude any other way of approaching the game.
"Well, I..."
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:48 am

Post by BBmolla »

I think this is really cool fwiw
Come see me in the Great American Melodrama in Oceano
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:02 pm

Post by popsofctown »

Entering a spinoff idea in the monthly
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”