Rising Player Agency

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Enter
Enter
for the homies
Enter
for the homies
for the homies

Rising Player Agency

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:35 am

Post by Enter »

I'd like to design a game w/ a large amount of agency.
Perhaps one where players are allowed to, as a night action, guess the scum team, and if they are correct, they are rewarded with being invulnerable to being killed that night?
And if the scum team guesses who the town power roles are and which one is which, they are given a roleblocker/redirector?
Neither of these abilities break the game, I think.

Thoughts?
is cancelled. Apologies to all who signed up.[/color]
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:55 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

it would depend on the setup but in general wrt to agency: more agency leads to more swing, and known individual agency should always be balanced around the idea that town can leash the abilities

also keep in mind if the player knows they guessed the correct scumteam, well the reward of having the right scumteam turns the game into a mechanical 1vscumteam

and in any games with lots of individual agency that is known, you could leash scumteam guessing so there are no redundancies
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
gobbledygook
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:32 pm

Post by gobbledygook »

I think Errant Parabola's The Search had pretty good player agency. Every player had a separate win condition in addition to the town and scum win conditions. Some roles had powers that run counter to their win conditions. Some roles have powers that support their win conditions. Many of the win conditions ran counter to one another. It was a fun concept, just not super well polished. Maybe something like that?
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Post by OkaPoka »

In post 2, gobbledygook wrote:I think Errant Parabola's The Search had pretty good player agency. Every player had a separate win condition in addition to the town and scum win conditions. Some roles had powers that run counter to their win conditions. Some roles have powers that support their win conditions. Many of the win conditions ran counter to one another. It was a fun concept, just not super well polished. Maybe something like that?
i think in situations like these with more complicated win conditions ~ its best to keep it a closed setup rather than open
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:46 pm

Post by popsofctown »

I think vanilla nightless probably has the most agency and you can't really add more agency in any way that doesn't have considerable negative collateral damage
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”