[SETUP] Cop Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
burnt toast
burnt toast
Townie
burnt toast
Townie
Townie

[SETUP] Cop Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat May 30, 2020 10:28 am

Post by burnt toast »

I'm currently trying to make a semi-open setup mafia game. The town cops and plague bearer are open, all other roles are closed. There will be a list of possible town/mafia/tp roles. I'm aiming for 20 players, but right now this setup only has 18 players. I don't REALLY want to add just vanilla townies, because I've noticed that often makes people feel unimportant and less engaged in the game. The game would start Day 1, not Night 0. Night cycles are 24 hours regardless of whether night actions have/have not been submitted. Day cycles last until a majority of votes has been reached for who to lynch. I'm trying to think of ways to balance this game, nerf pestilence, and also expand to 20 players. If anybody has any questions about the mechanics or any input on any changes to make, it's greatly appreciated!

TOWN
- ALL cops appear as normal cop to themselves EXCEPT for Friendly Cop, they know they're friendly cop
Normal cop
Insane cop - all reports received are switched
Friendly cop - all reports received are correct, but the player investigated gets role blocked
Confused cop - report received is random (determined by a dice)
Paranoid cop - all reports are guilt, plague-bearer appears sided with plague-bearer
Naive cop - all reports are innocent
Lazy cop - all reports received are correct, but are received one night after
Tracker - Visits a player each night to see who they visited
Gunsmith - Can craft a gun each night to give to a player the following day, cannot give gun to the same player consecutive nights and cannot give a gun to themselves
Bodyguard - Choses one player to protect at night, if that player is targeted they die instead of the other targeted player.
Medium - Has a separate chat with dead people, no restrictions on the amount of messages and can talk during day/night

THIRD PARTY

Lyncher - given a player that must die from lynching only. player can still win if they die, but their target is lynched later on (target isn't revealed after death)
Jester - must die from lynching ONLY
Plague Bearer - Can infect one person each night, all players that they visit/get visited by are infected (PB visits person A, person A visits person B, and person A is visited BY person C, person A, B, C are all infected) As PB, they have no abilities other than infecting. Once the PB has reached majority in infecting the ALIVE players in the game, they turn into pestilence and everyone is notified they've changed. Pestilence's goal is to kill the remaining players. Once a night they have a night kill, and anybody who visits them at night will be killed (once pestilence). As pestilence, they are immune to ANY type of night kill and can only be killed through lynching. (I'm trying to think of ways to nerf this role, because all of the visiting would allow them to infect almost everybody in just a few days/nights)

MAFIA

Godfather - appears innocent on normal and friendly cop reports, all other reports are as stated in their role
Hooker - can visit a player to role block each night, appears as mafia on friendly/normal cop reports
Scout - Visits a player each night to see who visit that night, appears as mafia on friendly/normal cop reports
Consigliere - Can visit a player each night to see their exact role, appears as mafia on friendly/normal cop reports (I'm not sure about consig still)
Last edited by burnt toast on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:13 am

Post by callforjudgement »

This setup has six confirmable townies (Friendly Cop, Tracker, Gunsmith, Bodyguard, Medium due to knowing they have unique roles, and Lazy Cop due to them getting different results from everyone else).

As such, if you add two townies, they would have to be Cops of some sort (probably useless ones) in order to avoid confirming yet more players.

The Plague Bearer is effectively a Bulletproof Serial Killer (who might not transform immediately). That isn't overpowered in an 18p/20p game with this many investigatives.

If we treat the Lyncher and Jester as mostly irrelevant for balance (I'm assuming they don't end the game when they win), the game is probably scumsided if players just try to use their roles directly, townsided if players massclaim and use whether or not a claim was duplicated as their main guide for solving the setup. (Note that the Jester will nearly always win regardless if the player-list is good.) I'm not sure if this is fixable without changing some of the town power roles into additional unknown-sanity cops. Note that town is almost guaranteed to win if played by players experienced in breaking setups; they'll have not only the information from the claims, but also the information from their night actions. (The presence of an unrestricted Medium also considerably reduces the power of the scum kill.)
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”