[CHALLENGE] July Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:08 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 18, OkaPoka wrote:
matrix 9p
7 Townies

2 Mafia Goons

All players are secretly and randomly distributed on a 3x3 matrix, the mafia are aware of their location on the matrix.
ex of what the mafia see in their pt:

?????????
???
Goon 1
???
??????
Goon 2

During pregame, the mafia team must submit a 3x3 matrix with power roles assigned to locations
Conditions of a valid pregame submissions:
  • The Mafia must spend at least 5 points
  • Assigning power roles to corners decreases their value by one
  • Assigning a power role to the center does not increase their value, but does grant one extra GPS shot
  • You cannot choose the same role more than twice
  • You cannot assign more than one power role to the same location
  • Power roles cannot be assigned to members of the scum team
  • Power roles must be chosen from the following list:
Spoiler: Power roles and point values
  • Cop - 3
  • Watcher - 3
  • Doc - 2
  • Jailkeeper - 2
  • Friendly Neighborizer - 2

mafia faction stuff

For each point spent above 5, the mafia faction gains one shot of a factional GPS ability. During the night, mafia have access to a factional night kill and may only use the GPS ability once per night.
GPS
- target any living/dead player: their location on the matrix is revealed to the mafia
Daytalk is enabled (for town and mafia), mafia can multitask

town faction stuff

POWER ROLES
- can only target players adjacent to them (not diagonally), however townies are not aware of their position on the matrix so instead, during power role distribution, power roles are given a list of people they can target.
flips do not reveal position on matrix
yes you can target the dead

example of a valid submission:
Cop
??????
???
Goon 1
Cop
???
Watcher
Goon 2

Cop(Corner) = 2, Cop = 3, Watcher = 3, Total = 8 (is valid), mafia get 8-5=3 factional GPS shots

Let's say mafia target me night 1, updated matrix ex:
Cop
??????
???
Goon 1
Cop/OkaPoka
???
Watcher
Goon 2
That`s a bit too swingy for my taste(and the worst kind of swingy - RNG swingy). And too vulnerable to a massclaim on Day 2(or Day 1 if someone due to be lynched claims a PR). With a massclaim on Day 2 the town will probably be able to find out who`s where and get a ton of info in progress.... and also negating the mafia power completely. Any unwise role combination could bite the Mafia big time, too, because they have no roleblocks.
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:45 am

Post by OkaPoka »

do you think solving the matrix helps town that much? i designed it under the thought process that solving the matrix helps scum more than it helps town
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

Okay, so I actually came up with 3 (and a half) ideas while I was talking to the worst about setup ideas.

Idea 1 is called "Nerf This", and the scum is shown a randomly generated setup and are allowed to remove power from town (which also removes power from scum).

Idea 2 is called "3-Ball", and it's the most fleshed out idea I have:

3-Ball (8-Ball and Pins Version)
2 Mafia

7(?) Town

Pre-game and every night, the mafia chooses one player to be the 1-Ball. If the 1-Ball gets eliminated, then the mafia get a nightkill the following night.
Pre-game, the mafia chooses one town to be the 3-Ball. If the 3-Ball gets eliminated, town wins. The 3-Ball cannot be nightkilled.
The chosen townies are not notified of the choices.

Town wins by eliminating all mafia or eliminating the 3-Ball. Normal wincons for scum apply.

3-Ball (Glimmer of Hope Version)
3 Mafia

8(?) Town

Pre-game, the mafia chooses one 1-Ball and one 3-Ball. The chosen town are not notified of the choices.

After every day:
- If neither are eliminated, then the mafia has an announcing poison (target dies next night, and they are notified that they are poisoned).
- If the 1-Ball is eliminated, then the mafia has a normal nightkill.
- If the 3-Ball is eliminated, any poisons fail and night is skipped entirely.
- If both the 1 and 3 balls are eliminated, then mafia still has a announcing poison.

The 3-ball cannot be the target of the mafia night action.

Normal wincons apply.

Idea 3 is called "Concentration of Power", and it's like Diffusion of Power, except the scum picks how concentrated the PRs are (so, for example, you could have a N1/3/4 Cop).
Last edited by NotAJumbleOfNumbers on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:15 pm

wait i just realized idea 2 isn't following the rules, i'll post a revised version later
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:21 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

I think you should post idea 2 in it's own thread, it looks promising
time will end
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:27 pm

wish granted.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:13 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

In post 26, OkaPoka wrote:do you think solving the matrix helps town that much? i designed it under the thought process that solving the matrix helps scum more than it helps town
Yes and no. Yes, it helps scum finding town power, thats why you only do it Day 2, not 1, unless the lynch target claims. But it gives town a general idea on what the setup is, and then the town can try to find out who is where and what this means for the position of scum.

Lets take this.
VT
FN
VT
Watcher
Goon 1
VT
VT
VT
Goon 2

This is probably the best setup idea in almost all situations. The Watcher can only catch one scum, the FN can only confirm themselves, and the goons could be everywhere, except that the three next to the watcher might have a slight increase of scum. This is probably the best setup possible, for scum, in almost all situations. Because in all other setups you get even more unfavourable results:
Cop? Can confirm too much.
More PR`s? Extremely dangerous fakeclaims, AND powerful roles, a recipe for disaster.
Jailkeeper? Over a doc?
Doc? 2 points. Gives info.
No its best to use this setup and just claim VT. A massclaim could be very bad for scum otherwise. A FN claims VT obviously, and others claim FN for them when they are run up to execution. Because Day 2 IS the day before LYLO it can confirm claims better than LYLO.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:52 am

Post by Isis »

Misa Amane's Blessed Discovery1
Light Yagami

J-Pop stars

No night 1.
Before even rolling alignments, each player submits a crush to the mod. Then, roll alignments, but only players who received exactly one, two, or three crushes might be Light Yagami. You must reroll if any player receives four or more crushes.
Pregame, Light is informed of a random player who received the most crushes besides Light. Light must grant her bulletproof (not informed) or day 1 knowledge that her crush is not Light Yagami. Pregame, Light chooses a devotee to be Misa Amane.
If Light Yagami has two devotees, a group of exactly two players that had the same crush form a masonry, the masonry is informed their crush is not Light, and the masonry receives a collective Detective action (modsplain a random player into a different crush choice in the unlikely event it is necessary for this step).
If Light Yagami has three devotees, rename him Matsuda, align him with town and make him a day 1 IC. Convert the devotees to goons and make the setup nightless. Tell Matsuda his crush's alignment day2.
Light knows the identity of all of his devotees but Matsuda does not.
J-Pop stars have the wincondition "You win when Light Yagami and all his devotees are dead, unless your crush is Light Yagami in which case you win when no player is alive aside from Light and/or his devotees."
Misa Amane joins the mafia PT and gains kill power Night 3.
Last edited by Isis on Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:54 am

Post by Isis »

The probability of having different numbers of scum shifts based on how much players evenly distribute their crushes, and that's nonrandom. There is a random step in there but the chances aren't "fair", I'm hoping with how brutal these requirements are to begin wih they'll be interpreted loosely.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
shiki
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: idk she it me

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:14 pm

Post by shiki »

this game was inspired by the following comment by not mafia in the mafiascum idol thread:
In post 9, Not_Mafia wrote:Can I be a judge? I'd like to audition for the role of mean British judge
mean reality16 players

3 judges

friendly judges

informed mean judge

the mean judge knows the identity of the mean contestants.

13 contestants

friendly contestants

mean contestants

all contestants receive contestant pms without alignment. each contestant must then submit a normal role during confirmation. contestants cannot win if they are eliminated (by virtue of not being selected by a judge) during pregame phase 1, and thus always have a win condition to play toward.

pregame phase 1 (day zero):

thread is open to all players. each judge must select 3 contestants to form their team. the selected contestants are added to a neighbourhood with their judge and other members of their team as they are chosen. those who remain unselected when the teams are filled are eliminated.

pregame phase 2 (night zero):

contestants are informed of their alignments. the remaining mean contestants and the mean judge are given an additional pt. the roles submitted by six of the remaining friendly contestants are paired randomly and presented to the mean team. for each of the three pairs, the mean team must choose one of the roles to be given to the friendly contestants, or a third mystery choice. the mystery choices are the roles submitted by three eliminated players (chosen randomly). the selected roles are then distributed to the friendly contestants (also chosen randomly).

day phases:

judges may only post in their pts from here forward; only contestants may vote. each day one contestant is eliminated by majority vote.

night phases:

the mean team may disqualify one contestant during the first night. all pts are open during all phases. night actions can only be submitted via pm.

friendlies win by eliminating all meanies. meanies win by reaching parity.

In post 0, Kerset wrote:
Design a semi-open setup in which:
  • Number of town-aligned players is not determined by randomness.
  • Scum fraction has to select in pregame, which power roles are in town possession.
  • Neither town or scum fraction can win in day 1.
  • No multiball.
number of town-aligned players is not determined by randomness. - check. number of town-aligned players is chosen by the judges during pregame phase 1.
scum fraction has to select in pregame, which power roles are in town possession. - check. meanies select in pregame phase 2 which power roles are given to friendlies.
neither town or scum fraction can win in day 1. - check. worst case for friendlies would be 6-3, made 5-3 by elimination, 4-3 by disqualification during night 1. it is possible the game could end during night 1 depending on submitted roles.
no multiball. - check. only friendlies and meanies.
In post 5, Kerset wrote:Yes, self-alinged player might be interesting.
a host could be added as a player but i would rather fill this void with a second producer (moderator) who does not have access to the mod pt or the mean team pt.
Last edited by shiki on Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feel free to delete this ghost
shiki
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:18 pm

Post by shiki »

In post 34, shiki wrote:neither town or scum fraction can win in day 1. - check. worst case for friendlies would be 6-3, made 5-3 by elimination, 4-3 by disqualification during night 1. it is possible the game could end during night 1 depending on submitted roles.
well i suppose that meanies can be eliminated during pregame also. and during day 1 if only one meanie is selected. but the mechanics of the game should generally allow the players to avoid this? maybe it does not fit criteria. hm.
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:11 am

Post by Kerset »

How do you eliminate mean judge?
giv me pagetop :(
shiki
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
shiki
idk she it me
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:29 am

Post by shiki »

In post 36, Kerset wrote:How do you eliminate mean judge?
oh, by eliminating all of the mean contestants.
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:13 am

Post by Kerset »

Vote vote vote
Spoiler: Not Known 15
What did you pick?13 players
11 Townies

2 Mafia

Pregame:

In pregame, Mafia picks one to two roles, at least one from the first and possibly one of the second group
First group:Quick Vigilante(acts before all people without Quick, dead people cannot do anything),Cop,Watcher
Second group:Activated Innocent Child, Weak Hider known to Mafia(the Mafia knows who this person is),Quick 1-shot Babysitter
These roles are then given to the town.

Day 1:

The town has no lynch during Day 1. Instead, it picks two of the following roles(it may pick the same role twice or once, unless otherwise noted):
Mafia 2-shot Ninja(automatically on the first two kills)
Mafia Godfather(this does NOT work against the Weak Hider!)
Mafia Bulletproof<-cannot be picked twice
Mafia Multitasking JOAT(Activated Ninja/Activated Godfather/Activated Bulletproof/Strongman)<-cannot be picked twice
Mafia Multitasking Night 2-3 Vigilante<- Must be picked twice!

Night 1+:

On Night 1, Mafia select a town role they distributed. It will be announced to the town that this role exists.
Starting from Night 1, Mafia Nightkills(not role kills, not even Mafia vig kills) and lynches are compulsive. Ties on lynches shall be resolved as follows:The mod may either use the first voted to the tied value, or RNG tie resolution rules if there are at least two votes on someone. This should be announced in the rules. However, if no one gets at least two votes the revealed town power role or, if that one is dead, an unrevealed town power role, or, if there is no town power role alive, a random townie gets lynched.

Win conditions:
Town needs to eliminate Mafia, Mafia needs to eliminate town or achieve parity(at least) as a team(both Mafia alive), and both need to get one person to survive.

Spoiler: ceejayvinoya
Mafia is now a trading card game13 Players

10 Townies

3 Mafia

At pregame mafia will select sets of cards until they have 12 cards. Each set can only be picked twice.

Set A
1 Vanilla card
1 Tracker card

Set B
1 Vanilla card
1 Fruit Vendor card

Set C
1 Roleblocker card
1 Neighborizer card

Set D
1 Godfather card
1 Cop card

Set E
1 Rolecop card
1 Doctor card

Mafia then chooses three cards for themselves and the rest gets randomly distributed to the players with 1 extra vanilla card for the thirteenth player.

A player can trade a card with another player once per day.

Town wins when all members of the mafia are dead.

Mafia wins when all members of the town are dead or nothing can prevent this from happening.

Spoiler: TemporalLich
Two Unwanted Roles
13 players

1 Mafia 1-shot Roleblocker

1 Mafia 1-shot Rolecop

1 Mafia 1-shot Strongman

10 Townies

The Mafia are limited to one personal action and one factional kill each Night, and have inherent multitasking.

The town will vote to ban two roles from different sets during the Ban / Day 0 phase. Each combination (not permutation) of two banned roles is a distinct vote. The Mafia must then pick one unbanned role out of each of these three sets during the Pick / Night 0 phase. The game thread will be open for the Ban / Day 0 phase but not the Pick / Night 0 phase. No elimination or night kills may happen during the Ban and Pick phases. At the start of Day 1, random Townies will be awarded the power roles the Mafia picked (no townie can get multiple power roles).

Informational Set
:
Cop
Watcher
Simple Loyal Neighborizer

Protection Set
:
Doctor
2-shot Alien
2-shot Commuter

Disruption Set
:
2-shot Vigilante
1-shot Desperado
(acts during the day),
1-shot Governor
(acts during the day)

Townies will receive new Role PMs at the start of Day 1, either informing of the power role they won randomly or that they are a
Vanilla Townie

All PTs have daytalk.

Spoiler: OkaPoka
matrix 9p
7 Townies

2 Mafia Goons

All players are secretly and randomly distributed on a 3x3 matrix, the mafia are aware of their location on the matrix.
ex of what the mafia see in their pt:

?????????
???
Goon 1
???
??????
Goon 2

During pregame, the mafia team must submit a 3x3 matrix with power roles assigned to locations
Conditions of a valid pregame submissions:
  • The Mafia must spend at least 5 points
  • Assigning power roles to corners decreases their value by one
  • Assigning a power role to the center does not increase their value, but does grant one extra GPS shot
  • You cannot choose the same role more than twice
  • You cannot assign more than one power role to the same location
  • Power roles cannot be assigned to members of the scum team
  • Power roles must be chosen from the following list:
  • Cop - 3
  • Watcher - 3
  • Doc - 2
  • Jailkeeper - 2
  • Friendly Neighborizer - 2
mafia faction stuff

For each point spent above 5, the mafia faction gains one shot of a factional GPS ability. During the night, mafia have access to a factional night kill and may only use the GPS ability once per night.
GPS
- target any living/dead player: their location on the matrix is revealed to the mafia
Daytalk is enabled (for town and mafia), mafia can multitask

town faction stuff

POWER ROLES
- can only target players adjacent to them (not diagonally), however townies are not aware of their position on the matrix so instead, during power role distribution, power roles are given a list of people they can target.
flips do not reveal position on matrix
yes you can target the dead

example of a valid submission:
Cop
??????
???
Goon 1
Cop
???
Watcher
Goon 2

Cop(Corner) = 2, Cop = 3, Watcher = 3, Total = 8 (is valid), mafia get 8-5=3 factional GPS shots

Let's say mafia target me night 1, updated matrix ex:
Cop
??????
???
Goon 1
Cop/OkaPoka
???
Watcher
Goon 2

Spoiler: JacksonVirgo
Before any role choosing happens, all the players have designated alignments.

1x Serial Killer

3x Mafia

10x Town

The serial killer selects the column of the following table (which chooses the scum roles). The mafia will receive that and who is rolled those roles and then selects on a row (which chooses the Town's PR roles).

Cycling Serial Killer (Ninja/Detection Immune)

Mafia Silent Roleblocker
1-shot BP Serial Killer

Mafia Rolecop
Bulletproof Serial Killer

Mafia Non-Consequtive Strongman
Town Cop
Town Tracker
Town Mason
Town Mason
Town Doctor
Town Jailkeeper
Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper
Town Jailkeeper
Town Friendly Neighbour
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town Cop
Town Doctor
Town Friendly Neighbour
Town 1-Shot Neighbourizer
Town Jailkeeper
Town Jailkeeper

Role Information

Cop will only get feedback if they check an evil. They will receive no result if they check a Detection Immune SK.
Tracker will only get feedback if their target visited.
Jailkeeper does not notify their target. Neither JK or target is aware of being attacked etc
Doctor and their target are both unaware if they successfully protect a player.

Cycling Serial Killer can choose which of Ninja/Detection immune each night, they cannot use each one two nights in a row (they cannot be ninja two nights in a row). Ninja makes their visit not be shown to Trackers and DImmunity makes them show as Town to the Cop.
Strongman will bypass all protections.
Silent roleblocker will roleblock a player without informing them that it happened.

Spoiler: NotAJumbleOfNumbers
3-Ball (8-Ball and Pins Version)
2 Mafia

7(?) Town

Pre-game and every night, the mafia chooses one player to be the 1-Ball. If the 1-Ball gets eliminated, then the mafia get a nightkill the following night.
Pre-game, the mafia chooses one town to be the 3-Ball. If the 3-Ball gets eliminated, town wins. The 3-Ball cannot be nightkilled.
The chosen townies are not notified of the choices.

Town wins by eliminating all mafia or eliminating the 3-Ball. Normal wincons for scum apply.

Spoiler: Isis
Misa Amane's Blessed Discovery1
Light Yagami

J-Pop stars

No night 1.
Before even rolling alignments, each player submits a crush to the mod. Then, roll alignments, but only players who received exactly one, two, or three crushes might be Light Yagami. You must reroll if any player receives four or more crushes.
Pregame, Light is informed of a random player who received the most crushes besides Light. Light must grant her bulletproof (not informed) or day 1 knowledge that her crush is not Light Yagami. Pregame, Light chooses a devotee to be Misa Amane.
If Light Yagami has two devotees, a group of exactly two players that had the same crush form a masonry, the masonry is informed their crush is not Light, and the masonry receives a collective Detective action (modsplain a random player into a different crush choice in the unlikely event it is necessary for this step).
If Light Yagami has three devotees, rename him Matsuda, align him with town and make him a day 1 IC. Convert the devotees to goons and make the setup nightless. Tell Matsuda his crush's alignment day2.
Light knows the identity of all of his devotees but Matsuda does not.
J-Pop stars have the wincondition "You win when Light Yagami and all his devotees are dead, unless your crush is Light Yagami in which case you win when no player is alive aside from Light and/or his devotees."
Misa Amane joins the mafia PT and gains kill power Night 3.

Spoiler: shiki
mean reality16 players

3 judges

friendly judges

informed mean judge

the mean judge knows the identity of the mean contestants.

13 contestants

friendly contestants

mean contestants

all contestants receive contestant pms without alignment. each contestant must then submit a normal role during confirmation. contestants cannot win if they are eliminated (by virtue of not being selected by a judge) during pregame phase 1, and thus always have a win condition to play toward.

pregame phase 1 (day zero):

thread is open to all players. each judge must select 3 contestants to form their team. the selected contestants are added to a neighbourhood with their judge and other members of their team as they are chosen. those who remain unselected when the teams are filled are eliminated.

pregame phase 2 (night zero):

contestants are informed of their alignments. the remaining mean contestants and the mean judge are given an additional pt. the roles submitted by six of the remaining friendly contestants are paired randomly and presented to the mean team. for each of the three pairs, the mean team must choose one of the roles to be given to the friendly contestants, or a third mystery choice. the mystery choices are the roles submitted by three eliminated players (chosen randomly). the selected roles are then distributed to the friendly contestants (also chosen randomly).

day phases:

judges may only post in their pts from here forward; only contestants may vote. each day one contestant is eliminated by majority vote.

night phases:

the mean team may disqualify one contestant during the first night. all pts are open during all phases. night actions can only be submitted via pm.

friendlies win by eliminating all meanies. meanies win by reaching parity.
giv me pagetop :(
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:44 am

Post by Isis »

Lol I realize I misinterpreted the requirement, I thought it was, like "the number of town aligned players must be variable and determined by something, but that something isn't randomness". But it's actually just "don't have a random number of townies" which is 99% of open setups.
Resultingly my setup is unnecessarily tripping on acid.
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 am

Post by Isis »

1st - Misa Amane's Blessed Discovery - This isn't really the best setup but I don't feel like doing the control-for-ego ruminating for rating my setup among others when it never affects outcomes anyway. The conditional-traitor dynamic deviates from normal mafia in a way that is interesting but also in a way that might not actually be fun, like all nonstandard alignments.
2nd - 3-Ball - I think this is a 5:2, needing a specific exile in F3 is brutal, it's a 6:2 at most, but anyway it's a really good setup dynamic and it's vanilla and roles suck
3rd - Matrix 9p - this one's almost certainly going to win which will get it attention enough so why write about it here
4th - What Did you Pick? - I think games with higher scum density are more fun so being an 11:2 is a knock, but I don't have a ton more knock against it, there's good effort to make the drafting dynamics meaningful and stuff.
5th - "" - I don't really want to play with an SK but this looks ok if that was what I wanted to do. I'm a big fan of, give the faction most oppressed by the secrecy of the setup full knowledge of the setup and dream of a world where the mafia just get told the setup n0 of normals and newbies.
6th - Two Unwanted Roles - I don't think picking which roles to exclude seems like a very fun exercise but this setup looks playable and stuff.
7th - Mean reality - I really like the judges and forming a team part, I dislike/don't understand how the role selections fit in.
8th - Mafia is now a Trading Card Game - I'm pretty sure Mafia goes AABBEE (Cop Godfather set isn't better, forced trading strategies are far more effective for this set than they are for the roleblocker set. Roleblocker neighborizer set isn't better, roleblocking a mafiosi produces a guilty and saves the victim while tracking a mafiosi produces a guilty and saves the victim). Then there is some WIFOM about the mafia having given themselves roles or not having done so, and maybe some trading, but I don't know, it's not the sort I find exciting.
Last edited by Isis on Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, I..."
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:23 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

1-What did you pick? - its my setup and every thing else...
2-Two Unwanted Roles - not the best but better than the others. Sorry... At least most of the roles remain a possibility.
3-Jackson Virgo setup - that a SERIAL KILLER game is that high - and SK is trash, although the rest is at least semi ok.... should tell you everything about the setups below.
4-Matrix 9p - broken, multiple selections make no sense at all. RNG decides if Mafia have to put up with being put in the BS middle slot. No thanks!
5-Trading Card game: Terrible, absolutely terrible. I agree with the analysis of Isis above.
6-Misa Amane: A potential Nightless 7:3 with AN IC and a D2 IC alignment investigation? Is this some kind of bad joke? That subsetup is extremely townsided.
DISQ-7:3-ball:Doesnt meet the rules - 3 ball eliminated Day 1, town wins Day 1.
DISQ-8:it doesnt meet the rules, because mafia could select only one mafia contestant who is eliminated Day 1. And seriously, three people lose without knowing their alignment, and without any serious chance of knowing their alignment? SERIOUSLY? The people who are best at hiding that they are scum are simply the one being picked out and.. thats not only incredibly bastard and unfun, it's simply ...
not
mafia.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:38 am

Post by Isis »

Yeah I agree that subsetup is townsided. It's not a "joke" I just didn't spend enough time with it probably. Should be 1 or 0 ICs
"Well, I..."
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am

Post by Not Known 15 »

Misa Amane:
7-3
1 IC
1 Day 2 IC/GC
5-6 VT`s
Case 1:IC
5-3-2
4-3-2
3-3-2 50% chance to lynch scum randomly and its not even ExLo.
2-3-2 Three misexecutes and not only town hasnt lost, they have a more than 50% chance to randomly execute scum
2-2-2 see two above.
1-2-2 ExLo for both sides. If town executes town, they lose by parity. If town executes scum there are enough IC`s to wrap up the game. And just by picking randomly town has a 2/3 chance to win.

Case2: GC
6-2-1-1
5-2-1-1 GC revealed, executed.
5-2-1
4-2-1
3-2-1
2-2-1 4 mislynches and we are at 50%, and Ex Lo
2-1-1 and this is obviously townsided.
Case 2, which has lower probability, isnt as bad as case 1, which is just... nearly an auto-lose.

Pedit: Ok, still, can you please not submit setups that have possibly extremely townsided subsetups? It shouldnt be that difficult to avoid subsetups like these.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:54 am

Post by Isis »

Uh, sure, I'll try
"Well, I..."
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

In post 40, Isis wrote:1st - Misa Amane's Blessed Discovery - This isn't really the best setup but I don't feel like doing the control-for-ego ruminating for rating my setup among others when it never affects outcomes anyway. The conditional-traitor dynamic deviates from normal mafia in a way that is interesting but also in a way that might not actually be fun, like all nonstandard alignments.
2nd - 3-Ball - I think this is a 5:2, needing a specific exile in F3 is brutal, it's a 6:2 at most, but anyway it's a really good setup dynamic and it's vanilla and roles suck
3rd - Matrix 9p - this one's almost certainly going to win which will get it attention enough so why write about it here
4th - What Did you Pick? - I think games with higher scum density are more fun so being an 11:2 is a knock, but I don't have a ton more knock against it, there's good effort to make the drafting dynamics meaningful and stuff.
5th - "" - I don't really want to play with an SK but this looks ok if that was what I wanted to do. I'm a big fan of, give the faction most oppressed by the secrecy of the setup full knowledge of the setup and dream of a world where the mafia just get told the setup n0 of normals and newbies.
6th - Mean reality - I really like the judges and forming a team part, I dislike/don't understand how the role selections fit in.
7th - Mafia is now a Trading Card Game - I'm pretty sure Mafia goes AABBEE (Cop Godfather set isn't better, forced trading strategies are far more effective for this set than they are for the roleblocker set. Roleblocker neighborizer set isn't better, roleblocking a mafiosi produces a guilty and saves the victim while tracking a mafiosi produces a guilty and saves the victim). Then there is some WIFOM about the mafia having given themselves roles or not having done so, and maybe some trading, but I don't know, it's not the sort I find exciting.
you forgot to rank my setup
Two Unwanted Roles
time will end
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:46 am

Post by Ircher »

ceejayvinoya > OkaPoka > Everything else.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
TemporalLich
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
TemporalLich
Grand Scheme
Grand Scheme

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:45 pm

Post by TemporalLich »

TL's Two Unwanted Roles
- Pure bias, I think the roles are balanced enough for this to be more decided by personal taste like my intent is
Oka's Matrix 9p
- I like the grid mechanic here, the setup has potential.
ceejay's Mafia is now a Trading Card Game
- A funish setup, but could be balanced role-wise as C and D feel strong for town.
JacksonVirgo's
null
- Playing SK here doesn't seem fun, I feel SK has a low EV here.
Isis's Misa Amane's Blessed Discovery
- Even with the clarification that Light's crushes are his devotees this seems townsided, idk.
NK15's What Did You Pick?
- Why would scum ever want to assign two roles instead of one? Feels pretty eh and requires term replacement.
Jumble's 3-ball
- Not a valid setup due to failing "Neither town or scum fraction can win in day 1."
shiki's Mean Reality
- It's possible for this setup to end in pregame due to no scum being picked?! What the actual fuck? Even if 0 scum is rerolled, 1 scum being picked still allows a D1 town win.
Last edited by TemporalLich on Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
time will end
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 am

Post by Isis »

Only players who were crushed by 1-3 players can be light. After you roll that to see who light is, everyone who has a crush on him is a devotee of him.
There are never more than 4 devotees since you have to reroll if more than 3 players crush the same player, because there's a potential breaking massclaim strategy clearing all the people with a consensus crush.
"Well, I..."
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:35 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Thanks for the feedback for those that have done so, I'm gonna give it a shot to rework it. I'll give my feeback on other setups soon
"Am I a ghost like you, caught between the seams of two intertwining melodies?"

wiki // GTKAS

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”