[SETUP] Indifference

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

[SETUP] Indifference

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:37 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

This setup focuses on scum-reading instead of mechanical wins since any roles in the list could be mafia and outside of plays, there would be no way of telling the difference between the different alignments' roles.

Indifference
2x Power Role Mafia

1x Random Mafia

1x Mafia Goon

8x Random Town

Town Cop
/
Mafia Role Cop

Town Tracker
/
Mafia Tracker

Town Jailkeeper
/
Mafia Jailkeeper

Town 2-Shot Vigilante
/
Mafia 2-Shot Vigilante

Town Roleblocker
/
Mafia Roleblocker

Town Rolestopper
/
Mafia Rolestopper

Vanilla Townie
/
Mafia Goon

Vanilla Townie
/
Mafia Goon

Vanilla Townie
/
Mafia Goon

Vanilla Townie
/
Mafia Goon

Vanilla Townie
/
Mafia Goon

Vanilla Townie
/
Mafia Goon

At the very minimum, mafia will have 2 of the PR roles and one Goon, because of this those are randed first followed by the other mafia/town with both of those being equal priority.

Mafia have a daytalk and are all multitasking.

Town Cop - Checks a player and will be notified if they align with the Town or the Mafia
Mafia Role Cop - Checks a player and receives what exact role they are.
Tracker - Check a player to see who they visit.
Jailkeeper - Roleblocks and protects their target from all kills. Roleblocker has priority over this role and this does not notify the target or yourself even if attacked
2-Shot Vigilante - May shoot once each night until they've shot twice, doesn't have guilt.
Roleblocker - Stops a player from performing their action.
Rolestopper - Stops all non-killing abilities on a target.
"Am I a ghost like you, caught between the seams of two intertwining melodies?"

wiki // GTKAS
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:57 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Am I reading it wrong or is this 8:4? That's kinda crazy.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:59 am

Also you have succeeded in making a setup that is extremely mechanically focused where smart mechanical plays are integral to winning... though that does not seem to have been your intention :P

Also mafia vig is busted. Maybe make that slot a mafia 1-shot strongman?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:03 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 1, Something_Smart wrote:Am I reading it wrong or is this 8:4? That's kinda crazy.
Hmmm that is true, probably should make it an 8v3 instead with 2 PR's and 1 random
In post 2, Something_Smart wrote:Also you have succeeded in making a setup that is extremely mechanically focused where smart mechanical plays are integral to winning... though that does not seem to have been your intention :P

Also mafia vig is busted. Maybe make that slot a mafia 1-shot strongman?
A 2-shot vigi would not be a 1-shot strongmans fake-claim. Maybe just a 1-shot vigi and the scum would have that shot a strongman.

That wasn't my intention at all, it was to focus on day-play. Can I ask how its is mechanically focused?

wiki // GTKAS
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:04 am

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Also kill credit probably shouldn't be a thing here imo

wiki // GTKAS
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:29 am

8:3 is better, 10:3 is standard but the optimal ratio does depend on the relative power of town and scum. Definitely I agree with ducking the scumteam down to 3 though.
In post 3, JacksonVirgo wrote:A 2-shot vigi would not be a 1-shot strongmans fake-claim. Maybe just a 1-shot vigi and the scum would have that shot a strongman.
I mean, vig should be a power that only town can have, because it's just so strong in scum hands. So if you want all town roles to be fakeable by scum, then you should just remove the vig completely.
That wasn't my intention at all, it was to focus on day-play. Can I ask how its is mechanically focused?
There are a lot of strong PR's that can significantly affect the game. Things like cop, vig, and roleblocker can turn around bad dayplay, or they can screw up good dayplay by stepping on each other's toes. If you want a game that's dayplay focused, you should make the PR's weak, or just make it all vanilla.
SJReaver
SJReaver
Goon
SJReaver
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:33 am

Post by SJReaver »

As a player who likes mechanics more than reading, I would love to play this game. As Mafia.

It would be a curb stomp.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”