[SETUP] Disguiser Setup

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

[SETUP] Disguiser Setup

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:04 am

Post by Nahdia »

Trying to figure out how a disguiser setup would work in forum mafia. For people that don't know, disguiser is a role where, instead of just killing a player, you steal their identity. So in effect, you take control of their slot and your slot is the one that "appears" dead. Obviously, it would have to be a secret alt game to work on mafiascum.

It was attempted once before, but mafia never used their disguiser ability and just played it as vanilla mafia: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=23493

So disguising probably needs to be a forced mechanic tied to the factional kill. Here's a starting point, probably not an ending point:

DISGUISER
Mafia Disguiser
Mafia Disguiser

Town Mason
Town Mason
Vanilla Townie
Vanilla Townie
Vanilla Townie
Vanilla Townie
Vanilla Townie
notably in this setup, masons are only conftown on day 1. after that, they could be disguised.

i would probably also use NSG's alt-guess mechanic she used in Mask of Monsters where scum can kill someone if they determine their alt. I don't think that should be the only way to kill though, maybe collectively they have a limited number of normal kills but dont have to use a shot if they guess someone's alt correctly?
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:07 am

Post by Nahdia »

i would want to avoid giving town too much power in a setup like this. one important aspect of group guiser is that because of how kills work, town starts each day after d1 knowing who one of the scum yesterday was, even if they failed to execute scum. so that makes creating associative reads a lot easier for town, which is inherently a lot of power.

i guess to mess with that, you could make it so scum don't have to disguise EVERY night, but have to disguise at least once in every 2 nights (so at least once in n1/n2, at least once in n3/4, etc). nightkills would have to be flipless in that case though.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:09 am

Post by Nahdia »

maybe worth considering making the whole think flipless and adding coroners? god, flipless is so painful though... would avoid that if i can, lol.

-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:12 am

Post by Nahdia »

another note: It was pointed out to me when I started discussing this in speakeasy that a big problem with disguiser is something that came up in NSG's recent game: posting schedules. if you realize the hours someone posts have drastically changed, it can screw someone. any ideas how this might be accounted for? or should this kind of thing just be fair play in a disguiser game?

-Zaphkael, 2020
OkaPoka
OkaPoka
Survivor
OkaPoka
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:41 am

Post by OkaPoka »

+jester
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:33 am

Post by northsidegal »

In post 3, Nahdia wrote:another note: It was pointed out to me when I started discussing this in speakeasy that a big problem with disguiser is something that came up in NSG's recent game: posting schedules. if you realize the hours someone posts have drastically changed, it can screw someone. any ideas how this might be accounted for? or should this kind of thing just be fair play in a disguiser game?
for what it's worth i think that any solution to this problem would be a lot worse than just playing with it and trying to balance the game around this fact

i.e. i would make the game by-default scumsided with the expectation that timezone analysis + linguistic analysis + burden on scum of imitating people is enough of a benefit to town to outweigh any sort of timezone shenanigans

for what it's worth i also think that as long as someone like doesn't literally only post when scum is asleep that timezone analysis is less strong here than in mask of monsters because any sort of analysis has to be done on a day-by-day basis and that naturally doesn't give all that much data, especially in a micro
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Post by T-Bone »

In post 1, Nahdia wrote:i would want to avoid giving town too much power in a setup like this. one important aspect of group guiser is that because of how kills work, town starts each day after d1 knowing who one of the scum yesterday was, even if they failed to execute scum. so that makes creating associative reads a lot easier for town, which is inherently a lot of power.

i guess to mess with that, you could make it so scum don't have to disguise EVERY night, but have to disguise at least once in every 2 nights (so at least once in n1/n2, at least once in n3/4, etc). nightkills would have to be flipless in that case though.
I think the solution to this is to just make nightkills disguise kills by default. So the mafia can do the kill, or not do a kill if they don't want to replace anyone.
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”