Babbling Brook

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Babbling Brook

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Post by Isis »

Babbling Brook Semiopen
Brook Setup

3 Mafia Goon

1 Bulletproof Innocent Child
9 Vanilla Townie

The mod posts a list of the Mafia members' names in the mafia PT in a random order night zero. When the Innocent child is exiled, if that action does not immediately end the game (parity win condition), the first living name on the list perishes.
Babble Setup

4 Mafia Goon

1 Bulletproof Innocent Child
8 Vanilla Townies

When the Innocent Child witnesses the exiling of a second Mafia Goon, the town wins the game.

Was going to be a contest submission but Kerset's requirements are too hard for me to get along with.
Last edited by Isis on Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Farren
Farren
He/Him
Best Overall Mish Mash Player
Farren
He/Him
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:55 am

Post by Farren »

Does the Town know which of Brook or Babble is in play?

With Brook, is it the first *living* member of Mafia that dies? Or does no one die if the first person on the list is already dead when the IC is voted out?
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:56 am

Post by Isis »

It's intended to be first living name, good catch.

It's a semiopen. So the town doesn't know which setup, which is intended to be the esteem of the setup.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:59 am

Post by Isis »

I don't think this needs a friendly neighbor? When I put it up it felt like it did but when I look at it now I think it doesn't.
"Well, I..."
northsidegal
northsidegal
Survivor
northsidegal
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:44 am

Post by northsidegal »

babble setup reminds me of Red Flag, although obviously with the addition of a BP IC and the FN. (interestingly, by the wording you can still pull red flag gambits where the mafia kill one of their own in babble)

of course, the comparison isn't exactly 1:1 because of the potential of being in the brook setup. my initial impression is that it's best to always play as though you're in the babble setup and never get rid of the IC, especially because i think that the biggest impact a bulletproof IC has is in turning lylo situations into always being 50% EV.

red flag's EV for 4:9 was 45% (according to mith), so babble's is probably somewhere relatively close to but above the 50-60% range given the PRs. oh actually i just realized that in brook it's the first
living
name, not just the first name. that definitely means that you never get rid of the IC until it wins the game. i think that
probably
these setups are townsided.

also, this doesn't actually matter, and i appreciate the adherence to normal conventions, but i feel like having it be a simple friendly neighbor is a little awkward. by that i don't mean that it shouldn't have the
functionality
of a simple FN, but just that you should make it a regular FN and then make the IC like, an "untouchable" IC or something which is just untargetable. the great thing about opens is that you can just make up whatever role or role name you want and implosion can't tell you that it's not a real role and threaten to throw you out of the NRG
wiki | modded | Newbie NewD3 Stats | scripts

things fall apart
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 am

Post by Isis »

I really want implosion to tell me something's not a real role and threaten to throw me out of the NRG. I would have to join the NRG for this to be possible I guess.

You seem to corroborate my notion in post 3 that the FN is unnecessary, so I will gut it.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”