[CHALLENGE] August Challenge

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:51 pm

Post by Isis »

I feel like S_S is probably a RA irl
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:55 pm

Post by Isis »

Dormitory mafia doesn't seem like it needs an RA to be interesting
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:14 pm

Post by Ircher »

Disclaimer: This is something I have come up with on the moment and is by no means meant to be completely balanced. The balancing will come later.
Mafia Transformations
1x Town N1 Vigilante
1x Town N2 Vigilante
1x Town N3 Vigilante
7x Vanilla Townie

3x Mafia Goon

During pregame, the mafia place all players in a 5x5 matrix with the restriction that every row and every column must contain at least one player. The matrix will be made public after pregame ends.

During the day, players vote for two things: a transformation to perform and a player to lynch. The available transormations are the following and should be voted upon using HEAL: Option.

1. Identity --> Nothing Happens
2. Rotate CW --> Rotates the matrix 90 degrees clockwise.
3. Rotate CCW --> Rotates the matrix 90 degrees counterclockwise.
4. Shift Right --> Shifts players right one cell in the matrix (wrapping around as needed).
5. Reflect Horizontal --> Reflects the matrix along the center row:

Code: Select all

Example w/ 3x3 Matrix:
A B C          G H I
D E F  becomes D E F
G H I          A B C

The transformation to perform is picked by plurality with the default being the identity transformation if no votes are cast. Tie breakers shall be selected by the moderator ahead of time and should be deterministic. In the worst case scenario, the above list should be used to break ties.

During the night phase, players and mafia act as normal EXCEPT they may only target players in an adjacent cell to them. Diagonal cells count as adjacent, and wrap-around is allowed.

When only nine players remain, the matrix shrinks to 4x4. Mafia should be given time to select a new arrangement of the matrix.
When only five players remain, the matrix restriction no longer applies.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 50, Isis wrote:I feel like S_S is probably a RA irl
lolnope I'm a mega introvert. And I live at home rather than in a dorm.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:25 pm

The main reason the RA is in the game is to make the positioning matter more. I do also like the pair investigation, though.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:41 pm

I'll update it to this, for now. This fixes the issue cfj was describing. The roleblock was added to prevent town from just leashing one BG to the RA each night until the end of time.

Dormitory Mafia v2
3 Mafia Goons

11 Vanilla Townies

1 Town RA

1 - RA's Room3 - Dorm Room5 - Dorm Room7 - Dorm Room
2 - Dorm Room4 - Dorm Room6 - Dorm Room8 - Dorm Room

The game begins with the
Move-In
phase. This lasts a set period of time (for instance, 48 hours). Pairs of players may agree to become roommates by mutual agreement; to do so, one player must offer to be roommates with another player in a specific room, and the other player must accept. As soon as this is done, those players are placed in that room. Only two players may be in each room. Roommates may not choose the RA's room, and the RA may not offer or accept a roommate request.

Once the time limit is up, the thread is locked while the mafia get to take two actions: one, they can choose a player to
Befriend
. If this player is the RA, they lose all their powers. Two, they may choose any player who does not already have a roommate and assign them a room. Who (if anyone) was targeted for this will not be revealed.

Then, all remaining players are randomly assigned a roommate and a room. The RA will be assigned to the RA's room, the floor plan is publicly revealed, and the normal day/night cycle begins.

Each day, players may vote to execute a player, using normal execution rules. Players may not vote for their roommate unless there are fewer than 5 players remaining alive.
  • Each night, one mafia member may kill a player. The victim must be in an adjacent room-- orthogonally or diagonally-- to the attacker. Mafia members may never submit a kill on their own roommate. In addition, each night one mafia member may roleblock a player in an orthogonally (NOT diagonally) adjacent room, causing all the target's actions to fail. The same mafia member may roleblock and kill in the same night.
  • Once during the game, at night, each player other than the RA may take one of two actions: they may spy on their roommate, or they may guard an adjacent player. If a player chooses to guard, they must choose a player in an orthogonally or diagonally adjacent room to protect, and if that player is targeted for a kill, the player guarding them will die instead. (If that person is guarded multiple times one guarder will die randomly.) If a player chooses to spy, they will learn if their roommate was active during the night. A player is active during the night if they are using any action (spy, guard, roleblock, or kill). A mafia member may use one of these actions at the same time as one or both of their factional abilities.
  • Each night, the RA may choose any room and investigate it for suspicious activity. They will learn whether someone in that room was active during the night, but not who it was.
The town wins when all mafia members have been eliminated.
The mafia win when this is impossible. (Usually 50%, but if there are for instance 2 mafia members alive along with their 2 town roommates and one other town member, the mafia win as executing a mafia member is impossible.)

I was playing around with which actions do or don't allow diagonals. I think letting the roleblock allow diagonals makes it cost-free because it's too hard to figure out who might have roleblocked you, so it's orthogonal only. As for the bodyguard I don't think having it disallow diagonals provides that much protection for the RA, if we assume scum is in Room 2 or 3 and can RB someone as well.
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

Scanners
  • 3x3 matrix
  • 13 Players
    1 Mafia Rolecop
    1 Mafia Scanner
    1 Mafia Goon

1 Town Cop
    1 Town Scanner
    1 Town Universal Backup
    7 Vanilla Townies

• At pregame everyone privately chooses a coordinate on the matrix. Multiple players can pick the same coordinate.
  • Everyone is informed of how many players are on each coordinate, but not who they are.
  • When executing the night kill, Mafia chooses a player. Not a coordinate.
  • Flips upon a player's death will include the player's coordinate.
  • Town Cop may target one coordinate per night phase. They will be informed if there is Mafia on the coordinate, but not who it is.
  • Scanners may target one player per night phase. They will be informed of their target's coordinate.
  • Mafia Rolecop may target one coordinate per night phase. They will be informed of the roles of those who chose the coordinate, but not who they are.
  • Day phases follow normal rules.
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Post by Kerset »

Matrix conspiracy v2In pregame mod randomly selects one matrix
option 1:
[0,0]
[1,0]
[2,0]
-
[0,1]
[1,1]
[2,1]
[3,1]
[0,2]
[1,2]
[2,2]
[3,2]

option 2:
[0,0]
[1,0]
[2,0]
-
[0,1]
[1,1]
[2,1]
[3,1]
[0,2]
[1,2]
[2,2]
[3,2]

option 3:
[0,0]
[1,0]
[2,0]
-
[0,1]
[1,1]
[2,1]
[3,1]
[0,2]
[1,2]
[2,2]
[3,2]

Each cell represents one player - red means mafia goon and green vanilla townie.
Players locations are publicly known but it is not known which matrix was chosen.

Once player gets voted out, he dies with his alignment being revealed. Imminently after that his neighbors die as well but without being flipped.
Spoiler: example
In matrix1 player
[3,1]
got voted out. The result was:
[3,1]
died, his role was
mafia goon.

[2,1] [3,2]
died. Their role remains as unknown.

Mafia is unable to nightkill and their win condition is parity.

This one shouldn't be breakable.
giv me pagetop :(
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:31 am

Post by borkjerfkin »

In post 57, Kerset wrote:
Matrix conspiracy v2In pregame mod randomly selects one matrix
option 1:
[0,0]
[1,0]
[2,0]
-
[0,1]
[1,1]
[2,1]
[3,1]
[0,2]
[1,2]
[2,2]
[3,2]

option 2:
[0,0]
[1,0]
[2,0]
-
[0,1]
[1,1]
[2,1]
[3,1]
[0,2]
[1,2]
[2,2]
[3,2]

option 3:
[0,0]
[1,0]
[2,0]
-
[0,1]
[1,1]
[2,1]
[3,1]
[0,2]
[1,2]
[2,2]
[3,2]

Each cell represents one player - red means mafia goon and green vanilla townie.
Players locations are publicly known but it is not known which matrix was chosen.

Once player gets voted out, he dies with his alignment being revealed. Imminently after that his neighbors die as well but without being flipped.
Spoiler: example
In matrix1 player
[3,1]
got voted out. The result was:
[3,1]
died, his role was
mafia goon.

[2,1] [3,2]
died. Their role remains as unknown.

Mafia is unable to nightkill and their win condition is parity.

This one shouldn't be breakable.
2-2 -> 2-0 -> 3-1 66%: doesn't end the game in #1 or #2 and tells you definitively where you are
beefycheese
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:51 am

Sucks to be player [2,2] lol
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:55 am

Just leading off with [1,0] is also 67% EV.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:18 am

Post by callforjudgement »

In post 56, ceejayvinoya wrote:
Scanners
  • 3x3 matrix
  • 13 Players
    1 Mafia Rolecop
    1 Mafia Scanner
    1 Mafia Goon

1 Town Cop
    1 Town Scanner
    1 Town Universal Backup
    7 Vanilla Townies

• At pregame everyone privately chooses a coordinate on the matrix. Multiple players can pick the same coordinate.
  • Everyone is informed of how many players are on each coordinate, but not who they are.
  • When executing the night kill, Mafia chooses a player. Not a coordinate.
  • Flips upon a player's death will include the player's coordinate.
  • Town Cop may target one coordinate per night phase. They will be informed if there is Mafia on the coordinate, but not who it is.
  • Scanners may target one player per night phase. They will be informed of their target's coordinate.
  • Mafia Rolecop may target one coordinate per night phase. They will be informed of the roles of those who chose the coordinate, but not who they are.
  • Day phases follow normal rules.
I like the mechanics, although you should note that this doesn't make use of the matrix behaviour at all; it'd work just the same with 9 separate named locations that weren't arranged in any way.

I originally thought that this was townsided, but after thinking about it a bit more I changed my mind. It may well be balanced or even scumsided.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:13 am

Post by Kerset »

In post 58, borkjerfkin wrote:2-2 -> 2-0 -> 3-1 66%: doesn't end the game in #1 or #2 and tells you definitively where you are
The idea is that every route gives town 66% chance to win, and scum has to lead townies towards deadly one.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:23 am

Post by Ircher »

In post 62, Kerset wrote:
In post 58, borkjerfkin wrote:2-2 -> 2-0 -> 3-1 66%: doesn't end the game in #1 or #2 and tells you definitively where you are
The idea is that every route gives town 66% chance to win, and scum has to lead townies towards deadly one.
I don't see how that makes the setup reasonably balanced. If there is a quasi-breaking strategy, why would town not follow it and maximize their chances?
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Hosting: The Grand Neighborhood [Ongoing]
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 am

In post 62, Kerset wrote:The idea is that every route gives town 66% chance to win, and scum has to lead townies towards deadly one.
Why not add a fourth configuration so it's 50%? That would feel less annoying for scum, I think.
borkjerfkin
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
borkjerfkin
He/Him
Xenophile
Xenophile
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:49 am

Post by borkjerfkin »

The idea is that every route gives town 66% chance to win.
I'm thinking about this more; If I'm town 2-0 I definitely don't ever vote for 1-0 because I know it loses me the game (and in fact I know exactly who all the scum are), so I don't ever really see that being the first lynch; I feel like 2-2 just gets run up every D1 as a matter of course. Certain town players have perfect information which makes this even weirder and arguably not mafia. I dunno.
beefycheese
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:58 am

Post by Kerset »

In post 63, Ircher wrote:
I don't see how that makes the setup reasonably balanced. If there is a quasi-breaking strategy, why would town not follow it and maximize their chances?
In post 64, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 62, Kerset wrote:The idea is that every route gives town 66% chance to win, and scum has to lead townies towards deadly one.
Why not add a fourth configuration so it's 50%? That would feel less annoying for scum, I think.
The same point could be made in Nightless Vanilla, because as far as i know eliminating people at random there should give town ~66% chance to win.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:00 am

No? The wiki says the EV is 33%.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:09 am

Post by Isis »

I mean people do run 70% town EV setups and I hate them and want them to stahp
"Well, I..."
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm wondering if the RA in my setup should be unblockable. Blocking the RA wasn't really something I thought of when I added the block.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:16 pm

Post by Isis »

Do you even want to roleblock someone other than the RA? If you spy and get "no result", the info that mafia is in an adjacent room seems better than the info you were trying to get.
"Well, I..."
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:26 am

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

it's been four days and voting hasn't even started
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Post by Kerset »

I give you all permission to vote.
Not Known 15
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Not Known 15
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Post by Not Known 15 »

None of these setups looks really ready for me, and some are really complex, including mine.
Vote:Everything
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:15 pm

Post by Isis »

I'll VOTE: S_S
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”