[SETUP] Mask of Monsters genre idea

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

[SETUP] Mask of Monsters genre idea

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:24 pm

Post by Isis »

3 Mafia Goons

12 Vanilla Townies

Modprovided Alt Game
Compulsive daily exile, compulsive factional nightkill.
When the first mafiosi is exiled, all vanilla townies are randomly paired as lovers, then those players exchange accounts. The mafia become lovers, but lose daytalk instead of exchanging accounts.
Mafia Goons can dayvig players by guessing their main accounts until they've guessed wrong twice all game.
I know Nahdia has been pitching setups where the mafia take over someone else's account and pretend to be them but this version of that general idea strikes me as fun. I think the large number of swaps makes it, funnier at a minimum.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:57 am

Post by Nahdia »

do the lovers have any sort of chat? or just awareness of who their lover is?
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 am

Post by Nahdia »

also im not sure i understand the purpose of the account swap mechanic. everyone is just going to immediately claim who they swapped with, yes? so then you're hunting for the pair that didn't REALLY swap but has to pretend like they did?

feels to me like this could be simplified by having only the mafia swap.
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:02 am

Post by Kerset »

What if dayvig happens before people get paired? There will be uneven number of townies.
giv me pagetop :(
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:18 am

Post by Isis »

1. I'm agnostic to whether it should have a chat.
2. Yeah it's expected lover pairs would claim. The point is for mafia and town to differ in whether a swap occurred or not, but I figured having the townies swap keeps the mafia from intentionally adopting a lurkish playstyle day 1 that makes swapping easier. That argument might be reversible though, my head hurts. I think I like a version where the mafia swaps about as much.
3. Evenness/oddness is a good point, since the advantage from main claiming isn't in full force until loverization I can just disable the dayvig until loverization, I guess.

I'm not sure this would be funner to play than just playing Mask of Monsters again, but MoM seemed really stressful for scum to play and when I read Imposter setups I get stressed about the prospect of rolling scum, so that was a little of the thinking.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”