[SETUP] The Council

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child
Pronoun: she/her

[SETUP] The Council

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:05 pm

Post by Kanna »

Spoiler: Old
The Council
7 Town

2 Mafia

Every day, players vote with heal tags for 3 people to become The Council. These 3 people are put into a PT that lasts for the remainder of the day. Eliminations occur as normal.

Before the day ends, The Council must come to a consensus on how to distribute power roles for that night. One investigative and one protective may be chosen. The list is as follows:
  • Investigative: Neapolitan, Tracker, Watcher
  • Protective: Doctor, Bodyguard, Hider
Additionally, each role is attached to a player, which the moderator randomly assigns. If chosen, that player is granted that power role for
one night
. It is possible for the same player to be attached to multiple roles, but it is not possible to give one player more than one role. The choice is given as [Choose one to grant: X is a Neapolitan / Y is a Tracker / Z is a Watcher].

After the roles are chosen, they are removed from the list and not allowed to be chosen again. Mafia can also remove one unchosen role during the night.

Mafia have a factional roleblock and a kill.

Town win when both mafia are eliminated. Mafia win when they achieve parity.

The Council v2
7 Vanilla Townies

2 Mafia Goons

• Every day, players use HEAL: tags to propose a
    Council
    of 3 people. Proposals can be changed freely, but a decision is locked in when the majority of players propose the same combination of 3 people. Should there be no council decided before an elimination is hammered, there will be no council.
  • Council members are made elimination-proof for the day and put into a PT the following night. During the night, they vote in their PT to
    track
    one person and
    protect
    one person. These function as tracker and doctor actions performed by the group.
  • There are no restrictions for these actions; they can be used on anyone in the playerlist, and both can be used on the same person.
  • When day starts, council members receive the results of the track.
  • The setup becomes vanilla on Day 4.
Town win when both mafia are eliminated. Mafia win when they achieve parity.
Last edited by Kanna on Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 19 times in total.
spirited away thanks for the good memories

"My heart is shaped like a harp with strings that go wiggle wiggle when someone is acting like an earnest bucketheaded townie incapable of wrong" ~ Isis
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:50 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

I'm worried that an all-town Council will end up overbalancing the game very quickly. (If there's scum on the Council, they will know how to aim their kill and/or roleblock, which is an interesting mechanic as it may betray that there were scum there; but the all-town case is very good for town, and probably not all that unlikely given only three players there.) So I have some concerns about swing.

I do like this sort of mechanic for distributing power roles, though, because it avoids the typical Open problem of players confirming themselves by claiming.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:13 pm

Post by Kanna »

fair enough, how do you think it can be improved? weaker power roles? cop might be too much actually; that'd always chosen D1 and gives an IC by D2... changed that to Neopolitan

as for an all-town council, i was hoping it sounds better on paper than it works in practice, since, as scum, my first reaction would be to rb/kill council members because there'd be a good chance they shared the prs between themselves.

"My heart is shaped like a harp with strings that go wiggle wiggle when someone is acting like an earnest bucketheaded townie incapable of wrong" ~ Isis
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Watcher is actually probably stronger than Cop. Predicting the kill is often easier than finding scum.

Tracker can be as strong as Cop if 1 scum is dead; in practice, it'll probably never be chosen because scum will (at least should) delete it in the gamestates where it's strong.

Neapolitan is interesting in that it's by far the most powerful if given to someone on the Council (who can avoid investigating a power role by mistake), but that makes it easier for scum to find.

Doctor and Bodyguard would probably be given to someone outside the Council, in practice. Hider could be given to any obvtown Council member, because you can't do much about the role even if you know who has it. (I'm assuming this is the purely-protective version of Hider, not the investigative Weak Hider, but it isn't obvious from the post.)

My guess is that this is still townsided, but with WIFOM-heavy setups, it's often hard to figure out the balance.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:50 pm

Post by Isis »

This is "breakable" in that you can have follow-the-cop doc onto cop and bodyguard onto tracker nights without informing the mafia who to roleblock (unless they've infiltrated the council). You would use the game thread to identify, for each player, who they should protect that night if they become a protective, making sure each person is targetted once. Then, the council grants the doctor ability to a player, then grants the cop ability to whoever that doctor pledged to target during the night.

If the mafia are in the council, they may roleblock the doctor and kill the cop or roleblock the cop and kill the doctor, but that suggests that the mafia are in the council and exposing that the mafia's most townread member may be in the council is pretty costly.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:25 pm

Post by Kanna »

thanks for the feedback! err... it probably is just as townsided as it looks then. in that case, would changing scum:town to 3:6 be good? or is it too much? a townblock PT could also be ++town for dayplay reasons too now that i think about it.

Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:49 pm

Post by Isis »

What if the council was given a random list of 3 cantidates or something, like "choose give Hectic doctor or give Isis bodyguard or give Kanna hider"

There's something unsatisfying to me about games where day 1 there can just be a Mafia Discussion thread-type theory discussion on how you order the power level of power roles. In practice games like this get run and since people have varying opinions it ends up interesting anyway, but, my aversion remains. I'd like for it to not be possible to play the "is cop the best role n1?" part of the setup before signups even begin.

6:3 with the council mechanic working like it does in OP is an overcorrection I would think.
Something with the same general style to this would be having a council that decides on a public copping N1 and N2, that'd probably be balanced.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:39 am

Post by Kanna »

i like that idea and have changed the OP! i can definitely see mandatory setup talk, and it's understandable some people won't enjoy that. this correction makes people play the setup more as it's intended, i think.

Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:06 pm

Post by Isis »

Is each player attached to 1 protective and 1 investigative role? Also, do the roles last for just one night or the rest of the game in perpetuity?
"Well, I..."
Kanna
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Kanna
she/her
Innocent Child
Innocent Child

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Post by Kanna »

i tried to fix this again !

the different power roles probably made it unnecessarily convoluted so i changed it to a tracker/doctor action. public copping would be interesting, but i don't think being able to peek at that is especially helpful to mafia. peeking at tracker/doctor actions should be helpful though?

Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm

Post by Isis »

This looks playable as is but I think there's probably room to nudge it in the direction of green EV.
I can't think of an elegant way to do that right away.
"Well, I..."

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”