[SETUP] Nomination Mafia 8p

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

[SETUP] Nomination Mafia 8p

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:02 pm

Post by callforjudgement »

Nomination Mafia updated to 8 players, and made more townsided (the current version seems to be rather scumsided).

Nomination Mafia 8p
  • Players:
    • 6 Vanilla Townies
    • 2 Mafia Odd-Night Nominators
  • There is no regular nightkill. Rather, on odd-numbered nights, the Mafia collectively choose three players; only those players are legal choices for voting the following Day.
  • Even-numbered nights can be skipped, as nobody has any actions then.
  • When nominating:
    • If the town have almost lost (i.e. there's only one more townie than Mafia member), the Mafia must choose at least one of their own in the nomination pool.
    • If the margin is larger, the Mafia may (but do not have to) choose 3 townies.
  • Voting players out is compulsive (using plurality rules if deadline is reached before a majority is).
  • Usual win conditions (i.e. the Mafia need to gain control of the Day vote to win, equivalent to 50% in this setup).

I have a soft spot for setups where town can survive beyond the point at which they'd normally lose, and this mechanic gives an easy opportunity to create one, while tinkering with the balance a bit. I'm not sure whether it's in the right place or not, but it seems like it should be an improvement.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:20 pm

Post by Hoopla »

based on the results we've seen in the 7p version, i think an extra townie might be closer to balanced.

it also helps to mitigate one of the problems that occasionally arises in this setup: town apathy when players suspect scum have nominated three townies. it happens every now and again. and because the nomination mechanic is on even-player-numbers days in the 7p version, it requires a higher percentage of players to all agree on the execution. this can create stalemates and kill the flow of the game.

yeah, i like the nomination mechanic being active on days with odd-numbers of players. seems a good change to me.
callforjudgement
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
callforjudgement
Microprocessor
Microprocessor

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:53 am

Post by callforjudgement »

For anyone who's interested in this setup: I'm now taking signups for a test run in the Micro Queue.
scum
· scam · seam · team · term · tern · torn ·
town

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”