[SETUP] And yet a trace of the true self ~

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

[SETUP] And yet a trace of the true self ~

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

this game is for
11 players
there are
2 mafia
there are
7 town

TOWN:
1x Surgical Secretary
2x Bird Practitioner
4x Ailing Townie

MAFIA:
2x Ailing Townie

surgical secretaryYou are a
Town Surgical Secretary
. Once per night, you visit the dwelling of another. Wielding your divine right to suture and paperwork, you stay the night by their side and take your leave by night's end.
If you visit an Ailing Townie, they will become aware of their alignment.
You will not be informed of the outcome.

bird practitionerYou are a
Town Bird Practitioner
. In troubled times, when one cannot trust even their own self, who can they turn to? It is your great fortune that your years in the bird business have led you to your most trusted partner, [NAME], who you know is another
Town Bird Practitioner
. During the day, you may speak with them in your private Bird Business Communication Hub located [HERE].

ailing townieYou are an
Ailing Townie
. You wake up every morning with bruises, scrapes, and the scent of the outdoors lingering between the threads of your clothes, worrisome evidence of your unnatural affliction. Come nightfall, the influence of the
False Selves
threatens to overtake you.
You are armed with your vote, your wit, and your instinct, but unfortunately, not with the knowledge of your alignment.
If you discover your identity as mafia, you will be added to the Mafia PT, but you will not be able to post. If you die, your alignment will be revealed publicly.

in signups, two people will volunteer to play a very different type of game. they will publicly assume this role by posting something like
/in as the false self

false selfYou are a
False Self
. Your influence is not of flesh and blood. However, the forces that hold you back weaken day by day.
You may not post in the game thread.
You may post in the Mafia PT, which you share with [NAME].
Every Night Phase, in this PT, you will determine a target to kill in addition to a target to commune with.
You will be informed of their role. If you commune with an
Ailing Townie
, both you and your target will be informed of their alignment.

~ exists in the false self.
Last edited by Errantparabola on Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
did another ms user do something lovely? recognize their achievements here!

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:18 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

several notes here.

1. this setup was briefly vetted by schadd. he said it was probably balanced but like sucked. this of course, is the general conceit of the setup: a game that is poisonous and difficult but also very clear cut in concept

2. a dynamic that was sort of observed upon by the aforementioned schadd was that there are sort of two competing dynamics: whether the PRs ought to claim or remain hidden, and whether the false selves ought to shoot or holster

3. the masons are surely getting the long end of the stick in terms of not having any evil game particulates foisted upon them; however their presence is somewhat necessary as to not make D1 completely anti-mafia

4. i am planning to run this unless i get like a lot of people telling me this will be exceptionally and not even uniquely unfun

5. the only component that was added post-schadd vetting: "If you discover your identity as mafia, you will be added to the Mafia PT, but you will not be able to post." for the ailing townies

Today's modern mafia consumer demands dozens, nay, hundreds of roles that are vanilla cops.
--implosion
provided
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:56 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 1, Errantparabola wrote:their presence is somewhat necessary as to not make D1 completely anti-mafia
I don't really see how this achieves that tbh, it's not like discussion on D1 will accomplish anything except possibly letting people figure out the PR's which is objectively bad for them because if they wanted to be known they could just claim.

Also what is the wincon of the false selves? Mafia win, I would assume.

I don't really see what is intended to be fun about this setup, in all honesty. Maybe it's just not my thing, but having people not know whether they are town or mafia and having players in the game who can't post or do anything during the day and yet have to pay close attention or risk playing suboptimally doesn't seem that fun to me.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:32 pm

Post by Errantparabola »

the flavor / gameplay is attempting to emulate what one might call the horror genre

--implosion
provided
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:37 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

Hm. It doesn't really feel that horror-y to me. It's not like "oh god, I think I'm a townie but I might actually be evil", it's just "oh great, I don't know my alignment, so I don't care what happens in the game and I'm also impossible to read."

Thematically, cults seem closer to the horror genre to me. There definitely is horror in the paranoia that the people who used to be your allies have turned against you.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Kerset
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Kerset
he/she
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/she

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:55 am

Post by Kerset »

i agree with SS
giv me pagetop :(
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:06 pm

Post by Isis »

I think this will totally not be fun to play.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
ceejayvinoya
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
ceejayvinoya
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:25 pm

Post by ceejayvinoya »

maybe make the "ailing mafia" win with town and allow the false selves to post in the main thread?

false selves win if ailing mafia outnumber town

everyone else wins if all ailing mafia dies
Ceejay is only gonna get better but his logic can be on the wrong side of lazy logic sometimes. ~the worst
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:35 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Mafia NurseYou are a
Mafia Nurse
. You were tasked as the care-taker of [NAME], who you've manipulated to join the Mafia, until the
Surgical Secretary
operates on them.
Once per night, you may choose a player to
Euthanize
, which will kill them. If you target the
Surgical Secretary
or their target, this ability will fail.
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:36 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

How about a role like that?
Errantparabola
Errantparabola
Composed.
Errantparabola
Composed.
Composed.

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:34 am

Post by Errantparabola »

interesting idea however given the court of public opinion i think it is time to put this setup to rest, lol

--implosion
provided
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:30 pm

Post by Gamma Emerald »

In post 0, Errantparabola wrote:this game is for 11 players.
there are 2 mafia.
there are 7 town.
Math is for the weak I guess
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”