[SETUP] Reverse Mafia

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

[SETUP] Reverse Mafia

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:29 pm

Post by DiamondSentinel »

This is very much a WIP idea because I'm looking for ideas on how to solve some major issues inherent in this gimmick.

This game is for
3 players
There are
3 mafia
and
10 town

TOWN:
1x Macho Super Saint
1x Compulsive Doctor
8x Vanilla Townie

MAFIA:
3x Mafia Goon

The starting gimmick of this is literally just "your wincon is to get eliminated". All roles work like their vanilla versions with these changes in win conditions.

Town Win ConditionYou are aligned with the
Town
. You win when the Mafia control 50% of the town.

and

Mafia Win ConditionYou are aligned with the
Mafia
. You win when all Mafia members are dead.

Obvious concessions being that Mafia cannot kill one of their own. Micro 903 is apparently similar to this (thanks worst) but added a jester that the town and scum could eliminate to win, although I'm not sure that's necessary. Another thought that I originally had was that instead of the Supersaint, it's a sort of reverse of that, where it kills the
first
person who voted them (and is still on the wagon) when they are eliminated, but that might encourage vote parking.

Thoughts on how to adjust this?
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:40 pm

Post by Isis »

https://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?ti ... Town_Mafia

It seems like the doctor claims D1 here with some metagame on whether the mafia also claims day1? Doesn't seem good?
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:47 pm

Oh right. That was another thing I'd realized but forgot in the later iterations.

Yeah, so, I liked the idea that the mafia has to try to predict the doctor's targets, but you run into a couple of issues.

1. If a doctor successfully protects someone, they just claim it the next day and then the target get eliminated anyways.
2. Counter to most counterclaims, you absolutely want to vote inside the claim pool, so perhaps that's not great either.

Before I thought of a doctor and a supersaint, I'd originally thought of an informational role to replace it, so the town has to weigh if they want to leave them alive, but that one works
even less
because if the investigative role gets a
single
guilty, then the scum auto-loses.
“Why was I chosen?'
'Such questions cannot be answered,' said Gandalf. 'You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:49 pm

Hmm, perhaps maybe instead of a factional kill, everyone's vegenful with the same win conditions and no other power roles, and then the restrictions that vengeful mafia can't kill other mafia.
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:51 pm

But what separates this idea from Vote for Town is that there
is
a kill beyond elimination. Either I want the mafia to remove some folks they think would be removed anyways (or however they want), or this vengeful idea.
“Why was I chosen?'
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Post by Isis »

It's a unique setup I just think it's worth naming it in a way that connects it to the oldest version, like "Nightful vote for town" or something.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:10 pm

Once I get it to an end-state that I'm satisfied with, I'll work on the name.
“Why was I chosen?'
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:34 pm

Post by Isis »

Would bodyguard be a fun role for this setup?
"Well, I..."
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Hmm, maybe a babysitter/hider instead? But yeah, it's a decent alternative to doctor.
“Why was I chosen?'
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by Isis »

Oh! I like babysitter!
"Well, I..."
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Post by Something_Smart »

Why does this setup need PR's at all?
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:53 pm

Or, I guess more to the point, why wouldn't the PR's just claim and be executed on D1. If you do have a PR it has to at least answer that question.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:07 pm

Because just VT and goons trying to get themselves executed exists. I knew that going in, and it was proved by the existence of Vote for Town!

The trick to adding PRs to this set-up is to make them have a potential payoff to
not
be eliminated. To use Babysitter and Supersaint for example:

If the Supersaint claims, nobody will want to vote for them because scum could just lurk to get the hammer. At the very least it causes a deadlock because people want to vote them, but they only want to be the last one to vote them.
If the Babysitter claims, then scum just never kills the babysitter, and if the babysitter gets eliminated, that removes the possibility for the town to lose 2 members in a night (a good thing).

So both of those roles answer that question thusly. Other than that, it's now "I want to see how these normal roles would interact in a gimmick that is already a thing".
“Why was I chosen?'
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:13 pm

In post 12, DiamondSentinel wrote:If the Supersaint claims, nobody will want to vote for them because scum could just lurk to get the hammer. At the very least it causes a deadlock because people want to vote them, but they only want to be the last one to vote them.
Meh, then it's just determined by speed if town tries to set up a quickhammer. That feels bad.
If the Babysitter claims, then scum just never kills the babysitter, and if the babysitter gets eliminated, that removes the possibility for the town to lose 2 members in a night (a good thing).
Is it a good thing? If the babysitter dies at night, taking X with them, wouldn't we rather have just executed the babysitter and then executed X, forcing scum to kill two additional townies?
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:14 pm

And as far as I know there isn't any existing vote-for-town setup that has nightkills. So you'd be still in new territory even if you did mountainous with nightkills.
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:33 pm

In post 13, Something_Smart wrote:
In post 12, DiamondSentinel wrote:If the Supersaint claims, nobody will want to vote for them because scum could just lurk to get the hammer. At the very least it causes a deadlock because people want to vote them, but they only want to be the last one to vote them.
Meh, then it's just determined by speed if town tries to set up a quickhammer. That feels bad.
Is it a good thing? If the babysitter dies at night, taking X with them, wouldn't we rather have just executed the babysitter and then executed X, forcing scum to kill two additional townies?
I suppose that could be the case, but then you run into the issue of getting a scum elim.

This was still an issue with investigative roles, which was why I considered one in the first place, but there was the obvious issue
“Why was I chosen?'
DiamondSentinel
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
DiamondSentinel
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:35 pm

And sure. If town wants to elim their “power roles” immediately, they can. It’s not any more or less optimal, imo.

If you’re that worried, I could make it more mountainous, although I’m not 100% sure if that’s even necessary.
“Why was I chosen?'

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”