[SETUP — In Progress] King’s Commander

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

[SETUP — In Progress] King’s Commander

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:45 pm

Post by MathBlade »

(This post still being fleshed out).

One of the mafia game variants I played a long long time ago was King’s Commander. The idea of this variant is that scum win by either the traditional wincon of reaching parity OR by killing certain specific players.

The setup assuming 13P is as follows

3 masons aka “Kings”
3 scum
7 additional town aka “Guards”

In addition there will be 1-2 PRs for town and 1-2 PRs for scum to make it more MafiaScum like rather than just pure vanilla the way I am used to. (This part I still need to do unless we want to run it as vanilla straight through first.) Also there is a publicly known anti-claim mechanic in that scum wager one of their own and can “guess” who a king is. If right, the King dies. If wrong, the scum dies.

The lore of this is that the scum are invading from a foreign land and want to Usurp the throne. They can do this by either gaining a majority of influence to make sure that only scum agendas or by taking out all of the kings such that no one can stop them. Each invader is armed with a gun however if more than one death occurs, country oversight steps in and exposes the coup. The kings are fully aware some of the representatives are representing foreign invaders yet they must hide amongst the guards to overthrow the scum.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Jake The Wolfie
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Jake The Wolfie
he/they
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/they

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:11 pm

Post by Jake The Wolfie »

Basically:

3 Flagbearers
7 Town
3 Pseudocide Bomber Mafia

No nightkill (?)
A Pseudocide Bomber can target any player at any time, but will die if they do not target a flagbearer, else the flagbearer will die and they will live.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:27 pm

Post by MathBlade »

There is a nightkill.
And correct on the pseudocide but it can be done during the day or night and is unlimited but cannot be revoked once submitted.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:18 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Do all Flagbearers have to die for the mafia to win?
"Am I a ghost like you, caught between the seams of two intertwining melodies?"

wiki // GTKAS
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:11 pm

Post by Gypyx »

3 masons vs 3 scum is slightly scumsided i think, making the masons flagbearers and giving the mafia suicide bomber makes it too scumsided yeah
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:59 am

Post by MathBlade »

1) Yes
2) It May be too scumsided for MS that’s why it’s a work in progress. I think it isn’t due to mass claim prevention but am toying with a few things.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:10 am

Post by Gypyx »

How about just adding a bodyguard that knows the 3 kings?
White Flag : Carebear Edition is in signups ! (4/13) sign up if you want a low pressure, high friendliness game !

bottom text
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:21 am

Post by MathBlade »

In post 6, Gypyx wrote:How about just adding a bodyguard that knows the 3 kings?
That would be I think a good thing but the bodyguard also falls under the can’t claim or die mechanic. That way they can’t become de facto “listen to me I am conf Town”.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:36 am

Post by Gypyx »

How is that such a bad thing?

bottom text
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:13 pm

Post by Gypyx »

(That the bodyguard is able to openly claim)

bottom text
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:13 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 9, Gypyx wrote:(That the bodyguard is able to openly claim)
The bodyguard knows who the scum have to kill/elim.

They could just openly claim if the elim is on a mason/townread and then make the game all about them.

The entire design of the setup is to avoid that idea or really claiming in general, and have people focus on associations and reads. It’s meant to be newbie friendly not mechanics driven.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Gypyx
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Gypyx
She/Her
Virtute Ex Machina
Virtute Ex Machina

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:38 pm

Post by Gypyx »

Ah okay i see, imo it's fine either way

bottom text

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”