[SETUP] Town of Salem Style

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:30 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 6, Kerset wrote:Investigates + Protection = no fun
Follow the Cop
In a town of salem like game, this is not the case. In ToSFM we had standards like this all the time, it's not as broken as you think.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 13, BBmolla wrote:the setup is so swingy it's impossible to say but I'm sure it's fine, it's just dayplay is mostly spent solving the mechanical puzzle, very little about dayplay will be scumhunting which is sort of the name of the game at mafiascum

I think more people will be elimmed for role related things than for coming across as scummy
Yeah that's why it's tos style owo
Thor
Thor
Watcher
Thor
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:39 am

Post by Thor »

Godfather

Consigliere

Kidnapper
Random Mafia
Random Mafia

Random Mafia

Jailor

Blacksmith
Town Government
Town Killing
Town Investigative
Town Investigative
Town Protective
Random Town
Random Town
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen
Citizen

Random
Netural

Random
Neutral

Random
Neutral

Serial Killer

Plaguebearer

Mechanics

-Godfather chooses who to kill
-Godfather must always exist
-If Godfather is Jailed, then Consigliere makes the decision, if Consigliere is jailed or unavaliable then the next highest ranking member makes the decision
-Consigliere replaces Godfather.
-Mafia votes who will be the next Godfather (if Consigliere isn't avaliable)

Extra Role Cards

Blacksmith

Give a player a vest or a gun
You have 3 guns and 3 vests to give away
Players can choose to use their gun or vest on top of their other night actions
Vests provide a basic defence
Guns will deal a basic attack
Cannot give guns or vests to yourself
Night 1 you will craft your guns and vests and will be unable to give any out.
I'm back. To clear things up. Firstly, I didn't try to conceal shit. I tried to join a game and got harassed because I had an alt account from 4 years ago, which I rarely remember creating. Account was never banned either to the best of my knowledge
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:18 am

Post by Jingle »

Not putting a ton of effort in here but strong invest claim followed by repeated no elim is probably optimal given the potential for cross kills and follow the cop. Setup doesn’t look particularly interesting to me and would be very difficult to fill, if you want to build role madness games it’s far better to go the closed or small town routes.
This is a Parachute.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:30 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 28, Jingle wrote:Not putting a ton of effort in here but strong invest claim followed by repeated no elim is probably optimal given the potential for cross kills and follow the cop. Setup doesn’t look particularly interesting to me and would be very difficult to fill, if you want to build role madness games it’s far better to go the closed or small town routes.
There's a confirmed Witch in the game, which redirects.
There's a possibility of two more witches in the game in the Random Neutral spot.
Mafia has a Consort which is a roleblocker
Any Town Investigative can be a claimed Mafia, so that tactic isn't as viable as counterclaiming doesn't necessarily create even a 1v1 due to the Random Town slots and if there's a Janitor, it removes that as well even if all Mafia don't claim PR.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:11 pm

Post by Jingle »

None of the investigatives have the potential of being the biggest threat to the witch, so witch should never target them. Mafia claiming investigative is shit play because being a claimed investigative is a great way to be investigated by unclaimed investigatives/massclaim A passive glance at the setup saw multiple ways to deal with a roleblocker anyway.

Like I said, I'm not going to put any real effort into trying to work out the balance of this particular setup because most of the roles look very unfun to me in particular, but it's probably better to just design a closed setup to prevent people from working out obvious claim strats, especially given that you're going to struggle to convince 28 people to play this once, let alone as a recurring game.
This is a Parachute.
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:24 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

In post 30, Jingle wrote:None of the investigatives have the potential of being the biggest threat to the witch, so witch should never target them. Mafia claiming investigative is shit play because being a claimed investigative is a great way to be investigated by unclaimed investigatives/massclaim A passive glance at the setup saw multiple ways to deal with a roleblocker anyway.

Like I said, I'm not going to put any real effort into trying to work out the balance of this particular setup because most of the roles look very unfun to me in particular, but it's probably better to just design a closed setup to prevent people from working out obvious claim strats, especially given that you're going to struggle to convince 28 people to play this once, let alone as a recurring game.
The witch sides with any evils and win if Town loses (I hope they can win when dead unlike regular ToS), they are not self-aligned. The witch is there to be a strong deterrent to planning actions and thus they make actions based on if it's a threat to overall evils, and it's a misplay if they don't.

I do know that it's not a thing for this sites meta too so it'll probably never fill. And I do think that this size of a game is too extreme. I would think around the base of 15p
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Post by Jingle »

FWIW, there is a market for games that are like this. I can't think of any recent ones other than GIdea setups, but setups like mastina's hilariously unbalanced games or L* the Wolves or chk's mainstream mafia can both be done and done well. They're just better done by experienced mods who have made a name for themselves as being good at designing and running good setups as closed setups than as open setups like this one is attempting to be, because they're inevitably going to be complicated to run and you're going to NEED that reputation to have any chance at getting the setup to fire.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”