[SETUP] Vengeful Mountainous

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

[SETUP] Vengeful Mountainous

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:38 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Been kicking this one around a bit... a play on Mountainous to essentially give town a few more (albeit very uncontrollable) kills

9x Vengeful Townie
1x Town 2-Shot Continual Voyeur

1x Mafia Vanillaizer
1x Mafia Encryptor

Mod Notes
*Players are not told if they have been targeted by the vanillaizer, only are told their role fails if applicable (Voyure will get "results failed" all nights, Vengeful would fail to get a shot off, Encryptor would have action fail (Mafia topic locks during days))
*If targeted by Vanillaizer, player flips as "Vanillaized Town/Mafia". No twilight phase for vengeful actions is necessary if the player has lost their role.
*Motion Detector targets are continuous. As long as they maintain their role they will receive "Player X" was targeted even if it occurs in a later night. For example they target Player A night one, if they still have their role and night three the Mafia Vanillaizer targets Player A, they get a positive result.
*Mafia Vanillaizer may target Encryptor for WIFOM purposes (factional kill ability will remain)

Sample roles

You are a
Vengeful Townie.

In the event you are eliminated in the day by vote the game thread will lock and you will have 24 hours to provide me a name. This player will be eliminated alongside you. If you do not wish to eliminate anyone, fail to provide me a name within 24 hours, or have lost your ability, you will be the only player eliminated

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

You are a
Town 2-Shot Continual Voyeur.

During the night, you may target another player. This ability may only be used twice during the game, and not on the same night. If your action is successful, for the remainder of the game you will learn what actions if any, were used on your target.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

You are a
Mafia Vanillaizer.
along with your partner XXX a
Mafia Encryptor

During the night, you may target another player. If successful, they will lose all non-factional abilities for the remainder of the game. A player will not be told they were targeted.

Additionally during the night, you may target a player to kill. If successful, they will die. You may not attempt to kill a player and Vanillaize a player during the same night.

You may talk to your partner HERE during any point in the game as long as the Encryptor is still alive. If they die the topic will only be accessible during the night phase.

You win when if at any point Mafia make up at least half of the living players, or nothing can prevent this from happening.

You are a
Mafia Encryptor.
along with your partner XXX a
Mafia Vanillaizer

During the night, you may target a player to kill. If successful, they will die.

You may talk to your partner HERE during any point in the game as long as you are still alive. If you die the topic will only be accessible during the night phase.

You win when if at any point Mafia make up at least half of the living players, or nothing can prevent this from happening.
Last edited by LlamaFluff on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Whats the point of an Encryptor in a 2p Mafia.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:03 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Mostly because im old school and usually an encryptor was required for day talk. It also means if scum want to target scum and hope they got motion detected then it forces them to sacrifice day talk. Its pretty much just trying to take a 12P Mountainous and give town a couple extra kills through venge scenarios.
Co-host of The USL Show
JacksonVirgo
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
JacksonVirgo
they/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: they/him

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:55 pm

Post by JacksonVirgo »

Oh okay that makes sense
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Post by Jingle »

Honestly seems a bit townsided to me.

MD can potentially get 2 innocent results and claim to be IC'd. I'd probably say it's testable at 1 shot for the MD, but I'd bet without running the numbers that even without the MD it is more townsided than 11v2. (11v2 is 40% EV for town, roughly, but also considered the 'balanced' mountainous 13p iirc.)
This is a Parachute.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:27 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 4, Jingle wrote:Honestly seems a bit townsided to me.

MD can potentially get 2 innocent results and claim to be IC'd. I'd probably say it's testable at 1 shot for the MD, but I'd bet without running the numbers that even without the MD it is more townsided than 11v2. (11v2 is 40% EV for town, roughly, but also considered the 'balanced' mountainous 13p iirc.)
I think the MD is weaker than you do, I almost see it more as named townie territory. If you assume that they will never be voted out, by end of N2 they will have had up to two chances to get venge killed, scum will have had two NKs and up to two Vanilla shots off. If Vanillaize lives to N2 scum will have targeted 40% of all townies with a night action, any of those on MD damage its clearing ability which involves some luck to start. This is more giving town two extra shots to get rid of scum via venge kills and throwing in a named player.
Co-host of The USL Show
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:55 am

Post by Jingle »

Sure, most of the time the MD is gonna be weak as hell. After a scum elim though any negative motion results are confirmed clear and prior to that you can get a pretty reasonable clear or guilty through two nights (tainted by wifom sure, but a low value wifom anyway)

If you assume a town elim on D1 then you’re already at 11:2 with a named townie numbers (although the venges hitting the MD are a valid concern that drops the effectiveness of the named townie aspect) and if you elim a mafia you’re way far ahead. I agree you’re only likely to hit 2-3 venges most games, possibly fewer.

FWIW: I think your setup solves both of my main issues with mountainous (games tend to drag and scum actually has an incentive to PR hunt. I just think you’re giving town a little too much to make up for the deficit, particularly when we’re in a bit of a row sided meta atm.
This is a Parachute.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:30 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

In post 6, Jingle wrote:Sure, most of the time the MD is gonna be weak as hell. After a scum elim though any negative motion results are confirmed clear and prior to that you can get a pretty reasonable clear or guilty through two nights (tainted by wifom sure, but a low value wifom anyway)
Now I am wondering if the role name is different than it used to be... Motion Detector should get "Was Visited" or "Was not Visited" it wouldnt pick up a performed action. It pretty much is a "This player got killed or vanillaized" result.
If you assume a town elim on D1 then you’re already at 11:2 with a named townie numbers (although the venges hitting the MD are a valid concern that drops the effectiveness of the named townie aspect) and if you elim a mafia you’re way far ahead. I agree you’re only likely to hit 2-3 venges most games, possibly fewer.
Game starts 10:2 with one player who essentially at worst clear wise will be countered by scum. If things go very wrong for town, D3 is starting at 4:2 with no one clear or clearable. EV of 10:2 is 33% for town, this adds a clear which boosts that a little to start, and then adds another two (probably) chances for town to hit scum. Almost turns it into Double Day just where the second elimination of the day is decided by a single player.
Co-host of The USL Show
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:12 am

Post by Jingle »

In post 7, LlamaFluff wrote:Now I am wondering if the role name is different than it used to be... Motion Detector should get "Was Visited" or "Was not Visited" it wouldnt pick up a performed action. It pretty much is a "This player got killed or vanillaized" result.
Ah. That’s a variant role.

MD gets motion or no motion and is triggered either by the target acting or being acted upon (or both) with no distinction between the two. You can use md as described, but need to make it clear that it’s a nonstandard md.

I’d honestly suggest using voyeur instead since there’s no name ambiguity and it’s not really hard to make the jump from “targeted by an action and didn’t die” to “vanilla-ized” here, and scum should never double up their targets.
This is a Parachute.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:19 am

Post by Jingle »

The second half I’m not responding to because we’re on the same page, btw.
This is a Parachute.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:20 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Yeah then its Voyeur... its been three years.

Still think its pretty much just a somewhat stronger than normal named townie though as they need to hit town, and hit town on the same night (or earlier than) scum hits the same player with a specific role to be effective.

I think overall it can be an interesting setup to trial run once though.
Co-host of The USL Show
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:28 am

Post by Jingle »

Oh, I agree. And it being voyeur invalidates my concern over it clearing too many townies. I definitely think it’s worth trying and is probably either balanced or very close to balanced.

I think it’s likely that scum won’t choose to wifom the vanilla-ize bc the risk of the voyeur being vanillad or killed or their targets being killed is pretty real so it’s not really that scary to scum. I do like the fact that you can trade daychat for a potential false inno in the late game as a design feature though, and assuming decent pl and non conflicting schedule I’d play this.
This is a Parachute.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Will probably try and get a wiki page made for it and in a queue near the end of the week... better names are always open for suggestion. I think the only old setup that at least has a variant that I originally designed is Stack the Deck (now modified a bit) and naming things isnt my forte as that wasnt even suggested by me.
Co-host of The USL Show
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:21 pm

Post by LlamaFluff »

Made a wiki here

Any questions/concerns let me know soon... otherwise will put it in queue soon.
Co-host of The USL Show
Sirius9121
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Sirius9121
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu May 13, 2021 10:09 pm

Post by Sirius9121 »

I'm assuming your inspiration seems like this which I made a long while ago.
In that thread MURDERCAT calculated the EV of a 7 town : 2 goon setup to be 43%, if the Venged townies had a chance to shoot too.
also the encryptor is useless. if the encryptor dies, the vanillaizer will be the only person left. what's the use of not letting them speak to themselves tbh

anyway
you added a 2-shot continous voyeur and a vanillizer, i don't care about the encryptor because it's kinda useless to the game
anyway
i thiiiink the vanillizer gives about more power than the voyeur considering that the voyeur can't track the encryptor and can be vanillised. making EV lower than 40%
consider buffing town a bit ig
余命数か月ばかりの恋に点滴で扶養する患者達
被害者の甘い期待を弔い悔悟の機会を躊躇うドクター
所以など行方知らず未知の病巣に臥す患者達
発熱が死因 然れば早期に躊躇すべきだったと知る放火犯

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”