[SETUP] Democrabilities

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

[SETUP] Democrabilities

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:59 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

Democrabilities

Premise: Mountainous Mafia but Players vote on a target to use a power role on each day.

Vanilla Townie
x7,
Mafia Goon
x2

Mechanics
Each day is made up of two phases, the first is a vote to use a specific ability on a player. The second is the normal elimination.

"Each night, including night 0, the mafia sends one of five effects for the first vote of the day.

They also send a player to kill and which one of them perform the kill on the NEXT night phase. This cannot be changed."

Kills and giving abilites are compulsive. If no ability is submitted, the effect is the first on the below list that is not already used.

-Track,
if town selects the player that is performing the nightkill, they are revealed as the killer that night phase.

-Watch,
if the town selects the player that was selected for nightkill the player performing the kill is revealed as mafia.

- Imprison,
if the town selects the kill target OR the player performing the kill, there is no kill the next night.

-Kill,
the town gets an extra elimination that day phase.

-Inform
, the mafia chooses a player to gain bulletproof. The first vote of the day will tell the voted player what alignment the chosen player is at the start of the night phase.
Spoiler: Role Pms
Welcome, Player X. You are a
Vanilla Townie

Each day you may vote on who you want to use the ability of the day on.
Each day you may vote for a player to eliminate.

You win when all living players are aligned with the town.

Welcome Player Y. You are a
Mafia Goon.

You and your partner
Player Z
have access to the following thread where you may communicate at any time. [link]

Each night and pregame, you and your partner must decide a non mafia player to kill the next night phase and a mafia player to perform the kill. The next night phase, your chosen teammate will kill the chosen player. If the chosen player dies before then, you do nothing instead.

Each night and pregame, you and your partner must choose one of the following effects for the town during the first phase of the next day. Each effect may only be chosen once.

The effect you choose will be revealed to all players.
If all effects have been chosen, the ability phase will be skipped.

You win when the number of living Mafia players is greater than or equal to the number of living Town players.

Notes:
"If the player being targeted for the next night's kill dies, No action is performed so the ""Track"" and ""Watch"" actions will never give information."

If the player planning to perform the night kill dies, their partner WILL do it instead.

Eliminations are plurality and mandatory. Ability uses are not mandatory but if a majority is not reached by that phase's deadline the ability is lost forever.

Abilities are resolved during the next night phase.

"The only exception is that the ""Kill"" ability functions exactly like an elimination, except it is not mandatory and resolves immediately on the end of the first day phase."

It is possible (but very, very unlikely) for the Mafia to exhaust all of the abilities. If this happens it can only occur in a 3 player endgame so the ability phase would be useless anyway, so it is just skipped.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The abilities are engineered in a way that it should give town some information through association no matter what.

Mafia have to avoid eliminating their nightkill target. Getting tracked to a kill (and if they are then they may want to actually eliminate their nightkill so they aren't hard outed), getting their nightkill target watched, getting either the killer or target imprisoned, or giving a townie game winning information (possibly by eliminating the player that would have been revealed about)
Not to mention anything involving nightkills can be analyzed because the actual nightkill is known each night if successful.

My biggest worry is Mafia having an optimal strategy to give certain abilities to win very quickly, but I don't want the setup to be randomly decided. Maybe a middle ground of choosing between 2 random abilities are better but I'm not sure.
My other biggest worry is the setup being too scumsided and the associatives not actually helping.
Imprefection is the spice of life.
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Post by Jingle »

Pretty sure the correct order of power usage is Imprison > Kill > Track in a vacuum, which doesn't actually speed up their wincon unreasonably.

You definitely want the double lim to happen before town gets to investigate and you probably want to blow the protective on the night you're blindfiring your NK.

Balance wise I think this is fine? It reminds me a lot of cop 9er for the amount of power town has, and the lack of clearing a PR via claim coupled with the possibility of UTR scum getting a PR seems roughly equal to the disadvantage of not being able to be as reactionary with NKs. I'd probably look into streamlining the power nomination (heal tags?) and have the day end early if both power nomination and elimination have a majority. I also don't think you NEED to have the kills be mandatory, as not getting a kill is punishment enough to discourage not submitting. The town should probably have an inevitability clause in their wincon too, to allow you to call a game that is mechanically decided without additional phases of waiting.
This is a Parachute.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:02 pm

Post by MegAzumarill »

I think I'll rework this so mafia has an option between 2 random unused powers each night, and know their options for future nights in advance
Imprefection is the spice of life.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:25 pm

Post by MegAzumarill »