[SETUP] Rock, Paper, Gunsmith

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

[SETUP] Rock, Paper, Gunsmith

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:59 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Okay it's been awhile since I've been onsite so I'm rusty but I've always been sort of an open setup design addict. Help me see if this is close to balanced:

Rock, Paper, Gunsmith
8 town

2 mafia
with multitasking

3 PRs:
  • Gunsmith
  • N3 Vig
  • Doctor
Roles are distributed randomly, without regard for alignment.

If mafia get 2 PRs, those two PRs are copied and given to town. If mafia get 0 PRs, they are randomly given copies of 2/3 of the PRs.

Spoiler: all possible setups
gunsmith+doctor+6vts
vs
N3 vig+goon

gunsmith+N3 vig+6vts
vs
doctor+goon

doctor+N3 vig+6vts
vs
gunsmith+goon

doctor+gunsmith+N3 vig+5vts
vs
doctor+gunsmith

vs
gunsmith+N3 vig

vs
doctor+N3 vig

If my math is right, each of the 6 setups is roughly equally likely to happen (with the 5PR setups being slightly more likely than the 3PR).

This feels better than my original idea in the spoilers below. Slightly more complicated than I wanted but it accomplishes almost the same thing (everyone knows the PRs in play but no one knows their alignments).

Spoiler: my original, simpler idea that might not work
Rock, Paper, Gunsmith
8 town

2 mafia

3 PRs:
  • Gunsmith
  • N3 Vig
  • Doctor
Add
6 vts
and a
mafia goon
(10p setup).

Hmm is this autowin for town if the scum PR is eliminated D1? Let me spoiler this one and try again
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:07 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 0, Irrelephant11 wrote:(with the 5PR setups being slightly more likely than the 3PR).
Hm... a side effect I wasn't intending is that TPRs are usually going to get townread when they claim and a counterclaim doesn't appear (rightfully so, because more than half the time there will be three TPRs that scum probably won't cc). This could potentially lead to a follow the cop scenario, maybe? If this is a big problem with the setup, an optional rule could be added:

When a 5PR setup is rolled, mafia have the pregame option to sacrifice a PR. If they do so, whichever PR they keep is removed from the town.

This effectively brings the setup back down to one of the 3PR setups, but this time with WIFOM about whether scum would prefer to have 2 PRs or be able to trueclaim safely.
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”