[ROLES] Who else is in a town?

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

[ROLES] Who else is in a town?

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:52 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I've been staring at the Normal roles list lately, making setups in case I become a mod.

As a read the "Babysitter" role, it got me thinking.
babysitterA Babysitter may target a player each night to protect them. That player will be protected from one kill aimed at that player directly. However, if a kill succeeds on the Babysitter (rather than the Babysitter's target), the Babysitter's target will die along with the Babysitter.

How strange that there's a role which protects their target, but also, as a separate effect, takes that target down with them in death! There aren't many other roles that have such unusual combined effects.

But also:
it's intuitive
! That's exactly what could happen with a babysitter IRL. So. I began brainstorming: roles based on people you'd find around town, whose effects might be unusual in the context of mafia-as-played-so-far but which make perfect sense flavor-wise. All the best roles seem to have come from this flavor-first line of thinking (see: jailkeeper, gunsmith, watcher. Yes I know, hot take that those are top roles :P )

are any of these fun?
Medical clerk
: receives a list of all players targeted by doctors, psychologists, and visitors that night.
Receptionist
: Assigned to another player. Is passively notified each night of everyone who targets that player. Can choose to, instead, actively rolestop that player ("sorry, she's in a meeting")
Stay at Home Parent
: Is told each night how many players visited other players (too busy to know who they are)
Pharmacist
: Each night, can deliver medicine to a player. That player can take the medicine on any future night as an activated bulletproof shot.
Teacher
: Once per game, can give a really good teacher's review to one player at night. The following day, if that player was a vanilla townie, they will be modfirmed as town, like an innocent child.
Bartender
: A combined fruit vendor detective.
Real estate agent
: Neighborizer but not in the neighborhood themselves. Perhaps can target 2 players on night 1.
Barista
: Can target a player to learn if they perform any actions that night (but not what they are) - similar to but distinct from a motion detector.
Librarian
: Informed, and can target a player each night. That target becomes informed with the same information.
Unfriendly
: Modifier that cannot be targeted by neighborizers, friendly neighbors, psychologists, or mailpersons.
Waste Worker
: Targets a player each night. Gets "has waste in the bin" (meaning they've spent at least 1 night this game doing 0 night actions) or "empty bin" (meaning they've spent every night so far doing at least 1 night action)

I don't know what I did this for. I guess some of these could be taken and used in an open setup, or a theme. Anyway, this was addictive to do and I couldn't get it out of my head. Enjoy!
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
RH9
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
RH9
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:20 pm

Post by RH9 »

These roles seem cool.
GTKAS: 2022, 2024

v/la every weekend

indefinite hiatus from mafia solo
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:08 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

Teacher already exists iirc, and gives their target a one shot cop use.

These are pretty good though.
Imprefection is the spice of life.
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:10 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

I know I have used "Prison Warden" as a plyaer that passively learns who all jailkeepers target at night
Imprefection is the spice of life.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”