[SETUP] Least Sus

This forum is for discussion of individual Open Setups, including theoretical balance.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He

[SETUP] Least Sus

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

11 v 4

Before each day, scum must split the playerlist into [# of living mafia] groups. These groups will be published at the start of the day, and the mod will highlight which group has the fewest mafia in it ("least sus"). In the case of a tie for least sus group, the mod will choose from among the tied groups randomly.

At no point can mafia create groups which completely match a previous day's groups, minus the dead players, unless it is impossible to not do so.

... is this breakable?
Last edited by Irrelephant11 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hey all! Excited and nervous to play my first game with you!
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 7:54 am

Post by Something_Smart »

Presumably the best strategy for scum is to make a group with a single town person and split the rest of the groups semi-randomly with at least one scum in each, then just kill the person they confirmed as town the next night.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 8:33 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Oh right! I forgot to type that each group must have at least 2 players
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 8:37 am

Except going into lylo where that's impossible, I assume?

Doesn't seem eminently breakable, I don't think. Probably the optimal strategy is to put one scum in each group some percentage of the time and do whatever the hell you want the rest of the time. That way it's pretty hard to get any solid info from the groups and there's a ton of WIFOM. It's probably fairly scumsided given that.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 8:47 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

It's never impossible going into lylo. If you have 3 scum vs 4 town, for example, you're splitting the PL into 3 groups, which can always have at least two players each. In 1v2, all players are in 1 group, etc.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 8:48 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

It does feel scumsided intuitively, but I haven't yet had the brainpower to figure out what town vs scum #'s would lead to the optimal balance between "none of these lists mean anything yet" to "the lists suddenly confirm half the living townies as town" before lylo
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 8:51 am

In post 4, Irrelephant11 wrote:It's never impossible going into lylo. If you have 3 scum vs 4 town, for example, you're splitting the PL into 3 groups, which can always have at least two players each. In 1v2, all players are in 1 group, etc.
Oh true I was thinking 4 groups for some reason, nvm.

Is it ever possible for the lists to confirm anyone as town? I guess if you got two scum flips off of the same list, it would confirm that day's least sus list as town.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 9:02 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

If anyone who was ever in the "least sus" group flips red, the others from that group become conftown.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 9:05 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Also if you ever flip someone red from a least sus group, you confirm that every group from that day has 1 scum. Which totally flips the game on its head, which then gives scum a reason to not spread themselves out too much, which then lightly conftowns anyone in a least sus group
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 9:08 am

Even with all that I don't think 11:4 is justified. 11:4 mountainous in practice would probably have a town wincon of like 4%, it takes quite a lot to balance it, and if town is flipping people in the least sus group then they are playing super risky and the reward isn't even
that
good.

Scum also have the option of confirming 2 people as town and just leaving them alive for a while, to ensure that the groups give no further info, if they want.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 9:12 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Totally fair! Any idea what numbers would be fair? I thought too many townies could lead to too many game days could lead to "oh we flipped a scum the day before lylo and now 2/3 of the playerlist is conftown" but whatever number works, I'm happy, if the idea works
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 9:13 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 9, Something_Smart wrote:confirming 2 people as town and just leaving them alive for a while, to ensure that the groups give no further info, if they want.
This is interesting. Scum would still be forced to shuffle the other groups while spreading out enough to ensure the same 2 townies get conftowned each day. That shuffling would provide enough information to cross out some scumteams. But you're right that it wouldn't do much more than that
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 9:18 am

In post 10, Irrelephant11 wrote:I thought too many townies could lead to too many game days could lead to "oh we flipped a scum the day before lylo and now 2/3 of the playerlist is conftown"
If scum lets this happen it's their own fault, I'd say, because they can preemptively kill the people who they expect might soon become confirmed.

It's really hard to tell what might be balanced just off of intuition. I might try putting this into my EV program to see what it says. Otherwise idk, you could try just running it at 10:3 and see what happens.
Gamma Emerald
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Gamma Emerald
Any
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: Any

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri May 06, 2022 10:01 am

Post by Gamma Emerald »

Once the game goes down to 1 mafia the info becomes stagnant, no new confirms can be gleaned from future days’ groups
That should factor into the balance somehow
<Embrace The Void>

“A flipped coin doesn't always land heads or tails. Sometimes it may never land at all...”
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat May 07, 2022 9:32 pm

Post by Jingle »

I think as a large it’s an undesirable setup due to inevitable player attrition. 10:3 is probably close to runnable as 11:2 is a scumsided by ev and observation mountainous format and with two scum alive you’re functionally guaranteed a one in each group split. (A pool being least suspicious means it’s all town if there are fewer remaining scum than groups and thus you can’t allow a large least suspicious group as scum. Similarly, one scum remaining basically means scum loses, because scum can’t prevent cop checks on a minimum of four players and four conftown is a town win if they can continue generating conftown at any rate.)
This is a Parachute.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2022 7:20 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

Once again, that’s not how many groups there would be with one scum left
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sun May 08, 2022 7:23 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

In post 9, Something_Smart wrote:Even with all that I don't think 11:4 is justified. 11:4 mountainous in practice would probably have a town wincon of like 4%, it takes quite a lot to balance it, and if town is flipping people in the least sus group then they are playing super risky and the reward isn't even
that
good.

Scum also have the option of confirming 2 people as town and just leaving them alive for a while, to ensure that the groups give no further info, if they want.
I think this actually optimal play for scum, with a slight adjustment. Conftown 2 players, then kill and replace one each night. Makes for a game with 2 conftown every day except Lylo, where there’s WIFOM if scum are still using the same strategy for lylo or not
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2022 9:54 am

Post by Jingle »

Irrelephant11 wrote:
In post 9, Something_Smart wrote:Even with all that I don't think 11:4 is justified. 11:4 mountainous in practice would probably have a town wincon of like 4%, it takes quite a lot to balance it, and if town is flipping people in the least sus group then they are playing super risky and the reward isn't even
that
good.

I think this actually optimal play for scum, with a slight adjustment. Conftown 2 players, then kill and replace one each night. Makes for a game with 2 conftown every day except Lylo, where there’s WIFOM if scum are still using the same strategy for lylo or not
I somehow missed the # of groups decreasing with scum elims, but I don't know that this is optimal play. There's definitely something to be said for picking strange group comps of roughly even sizes, because 10:3 mountainous is VERY scumsided. (80% scum EV) and that's basically what this is if you don't see two scum flips over the course of the game or flip the entirety of a group. It's probably ~viable given a townsided meta and the potential for useful information, but I think the mechanic works better as a supplementary mechanic to a non open than as a setup by itself.
Last edited by Jingle on Mon May 09, 2022 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is a Parachute.
Irrelephant11
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Irrelephant11
He
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2022 10:02 am

Post by Irrelephant11 »

I think if you play it out though, there's no way to not give town lots of information, it just takes a couple day phases. If 0 scum ever flip, maybe it does feel super scumsided, but a single red flip reveals tons about previous day's groups. I think. I've only written out a couple ways it could play out, there's a lot of options
Jingle
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
Jingle
For Whom the Bell Trolls
For Whom the Bell Trolls

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon May 09, 2022 10:17 am

Post by Jingle »

Yeah, that's kinda along the same lines as what I'm saying. You're starting with a very scumleaning setup and there's probably going to be late game townsiding information, so I think 10-3 is right, but probably not quite enough to be truly balanced. If I thought there was a likely chance of no town info from the groups it'd be a clear 11-2 setup (which, incidentally, I don't think the mechanic is super interesting without at least three scum.)

I just happen to also think the setup lends itself as a mechanic in a low power closed game more than a true open, because near mountainous setups where the information gain is backloaded tend to be frustrating for a large portion of the early game. (See FOTM a few years ago where a small arsonist team dominated town because town just didn't have anything happening to keep them invested.)

I think increasing game size is just going to make the mountainous drag more pronounced and thus not a good solution, but 10-3 seems playable at the very least, if still a little bit scumsided. I don't think that going the 2 conftown route is an objective optimal strategy (tbc, this is a good thing) because going three groups of the same size and putting 2-1-0 or 1-1-1 have potential benefits based on the strengths of the teams, making it a more strategically interesting game.

If you wanted to do something closed using this, I'd lean towards prs that are thematic to this setup: "You can't be killed by someone not in your group." or "Target a player: You will instead be in that player's group during the next day phase." as opposed to traditional roles like cop or doc.
This is a Parachute.

Return to “Open Setup Discussion”