[Let's Scrutinize Games] Idol hunts

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:12 am

Post by DeathNote »

For 3 houses specifically, I appreciated the Dancer idol and Steel Blade idol. I'm not a detective and personally won't be good at getting idols from hunts or riddles but at least I know the idol exists and everyone is on the same page on how to acquire it.

I've never really enjoyed the ones that require deep dives into the games rules to find secret tricks because only a small portion of the player base will ever be able to accomplish that. It's just a way to give idols to the same players over and over. In DBZ, I only had one idol available the entire game which relied on very specific instructions everyone knew about. I'd be fine playing a game with no idols but understand that they are fun parts of the game and can prevent complete domination from strong alliances.

The issue is that when the idols are so difficult to acquire, then the strong alliance is more likely to find the freaking idol anyways.

I would like to see games balance a way for everyone to have an equal opportunity to acquire the idol and the steel blade idol was the closest I've seen to that in recent memory.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:56 pm

Post by DeathNote »

I'm blissfully unaware of most things and will not be playing detective in survivor games lol.

That being said, I did successfully find an idol at the first survivormeet. I guess it was just a different feeling rooting around the cabin to find something vs rooting around a computer forum because forums already frustrate the heck out of me.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”