[Let's Scrutinize Games] Idol hunts

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #20 (isolation #0) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:58 am

Post by Cephrir »

In post 12, kdowns wrote:Let's take Three House as an example for this one. THere was a distinct advantage if you knew even a little lore about Fire Emblem games, like the Release date idol, or the sword idol. While yes, it's a bit advantageous to the person who is able to find it. I like the White Heron Cup idol where the person who received it had to give it away when they got it so that they couldn't personally use it on themself.

If we are talking about the PD Idol that was hidden behind the person who could get the best score in Donkey Kong. I didn't really like that idea either, as it clearly put a target on the back of the person who was the best at flash games. There is just not a good balance when it comes to the idols. I do like the idols though that have to be hidden behind a block forum, which people know that it's there.
I don't think the release date one actually gave much of an advantage. All the relevant info is a pretty easy google away. True of the second one though; I should've given the hint at the start I think.

On the topic of the thread, those idols were all supposed to feel meaningfully different from each other and reward different skills. I'd say this was fairly successful given no one person found two. One had the hint element and involved noticing stuff we'd been posting in front of your faces all game long. TBH, I'm surprised no one thought the swords were suspicious prior to the clue going out. One was a pretty standard find 'n' puzzle. One was just handed to an essentially arbitrary person for challenge performance. And one was meant to be easy to find (after all, we pretty much literally said there would eventually be something hidden in Anna's Shop) but require social finagling to actually get, though my design was thwarted on that one.

I think finding stuff is a meaningful piece of the game. It's a different skill than the social/strategic/challenge elements and some people aren't good at it (myself included) and that's okay, imo.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (isolation #1) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:00 am

Post by Cephrir »

One thing I thought about but didn't do was explicitly telling everyone when there was something to find. I think I did say this in the game start PM, but I didn't end up posting about future hides. Perhaps there's some fun design space to be had there, since people seem to like the Fox's Tail and the idol from flash mob.
Bartleby the Scrivener
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #22 (isolation #2) » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:06 am

Post by Cephrir »

In post 20, Cephrir wrote:my design was thwarted on that one.
(ngl i'm a little sad we didn't get to see someone trying to get others to say those words back to them, and also that the undertaker option wasn't picked even though i wouldn't have either. i thought the most obvious path was to choose the vote loss and the vote against you and just pretend to have accidentally selfvoted to cover both tracks, but having options was fun. never in a million years did i think anyone would actually pick the idol nullifier)
Bartleby the Scrivener

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”