Blood on the Clocktower

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support
Pronoun: He/Him

Blood on the Clocktower

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:18 pm

Post by MathBlade »

High level introduction

Blood on the Clocktower is a 5 to 20+ player game by The Pandemonium Institute. This game was originally designed to be in person but carries over to discord very well. The game is their invention and I suggest you look at and support their twitch channel here or buy a physical copy of the game here.

The game involves two teams. The good team and the evil team.
The good team is made up of townsfolk and outsiders.
The evil team is made up of minions and demons.

Good's objective is to eliminate the demon before it's the demon and one other player.
Evil's objective is to have the game go until the demon is alive with one other player. (good or evil doesn't matter)

Evil does not win at majority due to dead votes and other shenanigans.

Each player when ready will "sit down" in the companion app. This allows the storyteller (read me) to send them their role through the web app and allows them to vote and other players see the votes.
Each player will get a unique role assigned to them in the pregame through the app after a brief discord discussion about rules etc.
This will tell them if they are a townsfolk, outsider, minion or demon. Blue are good people, red are evil people.

The storyteller will then once everyone has received their roles, will run night 0.
At this point, I will run through all of the different night actions for players in the game. After the last player I will stay in storyteller chat for about 20 seconds maybe a minute more to make sure the last person doesn't know they're last.
Then day will open.
At this point town has a limited amount of time (5-10 minutes storyteller discretion) to nominate someone for execution. If half of the living players (rounded down vote) for a person, they're "On the Block". They will be eliminated at the end of the day unless someone gets equal to or more votes than that. Eg if Titus got 5 votes in a 10 player game, she'd be on the block. Then if MathBlade gets 5 votes no one gets eliminated. If MathBlade got 6 then MathBlade is "On the block". This process repeats until it is unbeatable OR there is a lull or time runs out (storyteller discretion). Each player can nominate once per day. Each player can only be nominated once per day.

After dayphase ends, night phase ends where similar to night 0, the story teller visits players with alive roles.
Then after performing those actions a new day cycle begins.

This day/night cycle continues until one side has won or the other.

Minimum Requirements

Because we are on a forum this would necessarily be played over Discord with voice. You will also need internet access to a companion website to keep track of things like votes deaths etc. The website does not play nice on mobile. Companion app can be found at: https://clocktower.online/

When we get a group, I will make sure everyone is invited/has permissions to my own personal discord server. I'd like everyone to show up about 5-10 minutes before start time to fix any technical issues.
After that we'll go an intro and launch the game.

More technical details of the setup

Each game of Blood on the Clocktower runs on scripts. This is similar to in a semi-open setup where every possible role is provided. This does NOT mean that every role on the list is in the game. However, there will not be two overlaps. Eg there will not be two empaths or two undertakers or two Imps. For this run of the game, we will use the introductory Trouble Brewing setup. If there is enough interest, I may run more complicated setups. If you've played before please be welcoming to new players and let them form their own meta.

Each role is detailed below from the Script machine

The night order is also public information (which is why the storyteller inserts delays to prevent metagaming)

Everything works as written, but there are two definitions and one clarification that is necessary.

Drunk -> This means that you believe you're a town role, the story teller will interact with you as if you are that role, but nothing you say happens. The storyteller might lie or tell the truth to keep up the ruse. Eg If you are the drunk empath, the moderator might tell you a 0,1, or 2 depending upon what would make an interesting game regardless of the truth. If you're a drunk monk, protections you issue don't work.

Poisoned -> This means that for the night and the next day, you may or may not get accurate info depending upon what the storyteller finds is of best use to the evil team. Sometimes it may be better to tell the truth to a poisoned player if lying outs the imp or tells the player they're poisoned.

Unlike mafia games the demon/evil kill occurs in the middle of the night order. This means if you normally wake up during the night, then you could have died or it could be mod error. Information roles that die generally are not woken up to prevent accidental slips of information.

That should be everything one needs to know to play the game.

When the game will run

I'm wanting to run this game on a weeknight afterwork.

I want to see what kind of interest there is to see if we could get enough people online at the same time. Once enough interest is/is not established we can figure out what times work best.

Generally I prefer weekday nights PST or if necessary, Saturdays.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
CreativeMod1
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
Operative Excel-lence

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:45 pm

Post by CreativeMod1 »

Ego, I know this game extremely well so more than happy to help out with things, although I'm just starting a new job so idk what my free time is gonna be like, but I'm more than happy to help set up or answer any questions about things
♪ ♫
I am the one thing in life I can control. I am inimitable, I am an original
♫ ♪
Come play: Codenames! | Taskmaster!
GTKAS!
It's easier to message me on Discord: CreativeMod1#3798
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:49 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Sweet :) I love listening to the game an want to get more people excited about it :D Hopefully I live up to your expectations as a storyteller.
ScumBlade's eloquent performance left me utterly disoriented, debased, depraved and sent me spiraling into a horrific murky abyss with emotional turmoil and immense despair as my only companions until slowly I suffocate in my own gloom, surrounded by failure. I will never recover. -- Zachstralkita about Mini 1841
GTKAS -- MathBlade
CreativeMod1
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
Operative Excel-lence

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Post by CreativeMod1 »

Where have you listened/watched the game?
I'm sure you'll do great!
♪ ♫
♫ ♪
GTKAS!
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:54 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Some NRB (No Rolls Barred) and Pandemonium Institute and lots of youtube videos. I originally found out about it on NRB. The funniest game ever probably is the Holly Psychopath game but that setup is a bit too advanced for new players I think.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
CreativeMod1
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
Operative Excel-lence

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:57 pm

Post by CreativeMod1 »

Ah wicked, yeah there's some good videos out there... Out of question, whose your favourite player from Pandemonium Institute videos?
Btw, there is a right answer ;)
♪ ♫
♫ ♪
GTKAS!
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:10 pm

Post by MathBlade »

In post 5, CreativeMod1 wrote:Ah wicked, yeah there's some good videos out there... Out of question, whose your favourite player from Pandemonium Institute videos?
Btw, there is a right answer ;)
Oh gosh...it's a hard choice. I like Dakota and Carley and Ben and Skillz and Jacqui....

Make me the Noble because I can't pick just one player. I'm listening to them play right now
GTKAS -- MathBlade
CreativeMod1
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
CreativeMod1
Operative Excel-lence
Operative Excel-lence

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:13 pm

Post by CreativeMod1 »

That moment when you didn't even make the top 5 :'(
All my nominations of Ben clearly haven't paid off tehehe

Those are some pretty awesome players to be fair
♪ ♫
♫ ♪
GTKAS!
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:33 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Yeah Patters is also amazing too I just struggle with a lot of the names. (I think Patters noms Ben a lot?) I remember the stories more than the names.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:58 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

Vaguely interested. Timing is always awkward for us though
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:25 am

Post by MathBlade »

Yay! Let’s hope there is more interest!
GTKAS -- MathBlade
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:03 am

Post by DeathNote »

I could be interested!
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
DeasVail
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
DeasVail
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:19 am

Post by DeasVail »

I have played this in-person and it was fun! I'm a hard maybe here because I doubt that I would be able to find the chunk of time to be online with everyone else, but I express support of the idea <3
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:03 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Yay I shall add you to my interested list!
GTKAS -- MathBlade
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:54 am

Post by mallowgeno »

I'm definitely interested!
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:55 am

Post by Bellaphant »

The UK crowd played this a bunch at Easter meet but timing will probably be an issue.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 am

Post by MathBlade »

Yeah it will be that’s why I am trying to make a list of all interested people.

If we don’t have enough then I will try over blitz or just forward people to other servers.

I am hoping we have enough for MS version to take off though as if we can get A game going I think it snowballs.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

This sounds like a lot of fun but I’m terrible with time commitments.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:33 pm

Post by kdowns »

I am also interested.
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:46 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Awesome! I will be asking for your discords in a bit. :) Thank you.
GTKAS -- MathBlade
Mist7676
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mist7676
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:26 am

Post by Mist7676 »

/in
You Are Worth It
petapan
petapan
Survivor
petapan
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:43 am

Post by petapan »

i would give it a shot (dependent on schedule etcetc)
free crypto
Nancy Drew 39
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Nancy Drew 39
She/Her
Not that Inno Scent
Not that Inno Scent
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:19 am

Post by Nancy Drew 39 »

In post 19, MathBlade wrote:Awesome! I will be asking for your discords in a bit. :) Thank you.
Math if I’m available att, I could play. I just never really know that in advance.
We just need to tread carefully because if you slip up around her as scum she notices and will tear your spine out and slap you to death with it. (I'm slightly scared of Nancy)
~the worst
Nancy is pretty heavenly ngl
~CheekyTeeky
Nancy-scum feels like a hot knife slicing through butter. Nancy-town feels like a magnifying glass in the sun glaring down at an insect.
~Taly
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:41 am

Post by ChannelDelibird »

Oh ho ho. I am deeply,
deeply
down the rabbit hole with this game at the moment. Playing a lot the last few months. It is very good - I consider it very different to mafia, but I would now always choose Clocktower over mafia in a face-to-face or Discord-based environment, with mafia being my choice if I were playing a text-only game.

(Also, hi Nicky! I am watching you on TPI as I type this. Seeing your avatar here was confusing.)
In post 15, Bellaphant wrote:The UK crowd played this a bunch at Easter meet but timing will probably be an issue.
Relatedly, I am hoping to organise some games on a UK timezone on a weekend some time over the next few weeks. If people would be excited to join us in that timezone, we can get you into the discord where all us old fogeys who do Eastermeet hang out.
#greenshirtthursdays
MathBlade
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
MathBlade
He/Him
Technical Support
Technical Support

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:51 pm

Post by MathBlade »

Sorry I caught covid and couldn’t really do hardly much with this at all. I will try to get this kicked up when outside my work sprint if death and have a few more voice tests under my belt post covid. Sorry for the delay folks.
GTKAS -- MathBlade

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”