The Genius: First Encounter (GAMEOVER)

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

The Genius: First Encounter (GAMEOVER)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:28 am

Post by Snakes »

Snakes, Mallowgeno and Cheery Dog present...

A 20 player game reviewed and listmodded by xofelf

Each garnet is redeemable for 50 cents (up to $100), which will be sent to a charity chosen by the winner of The Genius: First Encounter!

If you want to play or spectate, apply here!

Application Deadline:
Tuesday October 11th at 11:59 PM CDT
Game starts:
Friday October 14th at 7:00 PM CDT
Projected Game End:
Saturday January 14th

{GENERAL RULES}

{01} This is a game. The main objective is to have fun; so no excessive flaming or spamming
{02} This is a game. The secondary objective is to win.
{03} If you feel the mods have made a mistake, please let us know so we can fix it.
{04} We have worked extensively to produce a game that is enjoyed by all. As such, we promise to offer each player respect but expect to be shown the same in return.
{05} The Genius: First Encounter is ANONYMOUS. All participants are strictly prohibited from so much as hinting to their own identities or implying another player's identity. If you are talking with other people outside of this forum, you must not state or imply that you are playing in this game. If you are talking with other players on this forum, try not to say anything that would allow people to easily ID you. Communication outside the private message system is also forbidden unless otherwise stated. Failure to follow this rule can result in a variety of consequences ranging from a terse warning to one's elimination from the game. We reserve the right to determine the severity of possible infractions.
{06} The Genius is about using loopholes and game mechanics. That said, there is a fine line between using loopholes and cheating. If you are unsure as to whether an action conflicts with the rules, ask. All questions about the rules will be answered privately, unless we determine that the question is necessary to clear up a confusing rule.
{07} Private communication with players outside of your team or eliminated players is strictly prohibited unless otherwise specified. Any player found in violation of this rule will be penalized.
{08} Any and all posting about this game outside the provided forums unless SPECIFICALLY STATED is against the rules.
{09a} The posting of Private Messages (whether via text (paraphrasing is fine) or via image) in a public forum or in Private Messages to other players is explicitly disallowed. You may, however, post them in your confessional. You are also prohibited from taking a screenshot of private messages and showing them to other players. Forwarding is not allowed. Quoting is not allowed, nor is pretending to quote. You may paraphrase.
{09b} Don't show other players screenshots of anything in your confessional, any challenge scores, or any game information they do not already have access to. The one exception to this is that showing any items or powers you possess or are pretending to possess is allowed -- but still don't take a screenshot of your confessional to do this as that would be verifiable.
{10} The moderators may discipline any player that breaks the rules however we see fit, depending on the specific situation. We also reserve the right to implement new rules if needed.
{11} Although this game takes place on an off-site forum, that forum is considered an exclave of Mafiascum.net. All MS conduct rules will apply.

{GAME MECHANICS}

{12a} PMs are only to be used for communication within your team unless otherwise specified.
{12b} You are free to create group PMs with players that you may PM. Once a member in a group PM is eliminated, you must not use it again and must create a new group PM with people who are still in the game. You may not use the BCC feature.

{MAIN MATCHES}

{13} Every round will possess a Main Match. If there are multiple winners, they will each get a Token of Life, granting them safety from the Death Match. If there is only one winner, they will get two Tokens of Life: one for themselves and one for any player they choose that is not the Elimination Candidate.
{14} The loser of the Main Match will be the Elimination Candidate and automatically enter the Death Match. If there are multiple losers, the winner(s) must unanimously agree on an Elimination Candidate.
{15} There will occasionally be Garnet Matches. Garnet Matches are similar to Main Matches, except that the player(s) with the most garnets at the end of the Main Match will win a Token of Life (two if they are the sole winner), and the player with the least garnets will become the Elimination Candidate.
{16} The outcomes of all Challenges are final, except in case of incorrect tallying by the mods.
{17} We appreciate the fact that prospective contestants will enter this game with a range of skills. With this in mind, understand that we as mods can't cater to all players' needs and time constraints in challenges.

{DEATH MATCHES}

{18} The Loser of the Main Match will enter the Death Match. If there is a tie for loser the winner(s) of the Main Match will determine the loser.
{18.b} In the event that there are joint winners and multiple Death Match candidates and the joint winners cannot agree on the Death Match candidate the majority choice will be the Death Match candidate. If there is a tie that cannot be broken, there will be a tie-breaker challenge between all joint winners. The loser of this challenge will become the Death Match candidate instead
{19} The Loser of the Main Match must choose an opponent without a Token of Life to challenge in the Death Match.
{20} If all players except for one tie for the best score in the Main Match, then the player in last place will automatically go to the Death Match. They can then choose any opponent in the game to challenge in the Death Match.
{21} In the unlikely event that all players end up with the same score in the Main Match, everyone will cast a vote for who they want to see in the Death Match. The player with the most votes will become the Elimination Candidate, and must then pick another player to take to the Death Match.
{22} The player who loses the Death Match will be eliminated from the game.
{23} The winner of the Death Match will receive half of the losers' Garnets (rounded down). The other half will be distributed evenly to all other players on their team, with the remainder sent to the Death Match winner.
{24} Deadlines may be shortened or extended to get back to a regular schedule.

{GARNETS}

{25} All players will start with 0 Garnets, but more may be acquired later on.
{26} Garnets that can be gained from a main match will be announced prior to the beginning of said main match.
{27} Garnets will be used to gain advantages in Main Matches. Having more might also give you an advantage in a Death Match (but they won't be spent in Death Matches)
{28} Garnets may be given to other players.
{29a} Once a Main Match result is posted, players can no longer give Garnets to other players until the Death Match contenders are decided. Once that is determined, non-death match players may resume gifting of garnets. Once the Death Match concludes, the victor may gift garnets again until the next Death Match.
{29b} Players are not allowed to give Garnets to other players during Garnet Matches.
{30} The garnet count for all players will be revealed at the start of each Main Match and at the end of each Main Match.
{31} The winner of The Genius: First Encounter will have money donated to a charity of their choice based on how many garnets they have!

{FINAL 2}

{32} When 2 players remain we will enter the final stage of the game. The final 2 will play in 3 Finale Matches.
{33} Jurors will select one of the final 2 to support and give them an item. The items will give an edge in the Finale Matches.
{34} The player with the most garnets will be given an additional item.

{TWISTS}

{35} Twists will be implemented without warning or provocation throughout the game. The time and setting of each twist has already been determined, so as to neither give an unfair advantage or disadvantage to a player or group of players.

{EXTENSIONS AND SCHEDULING}

{36} Some Main Matches, Death Matches and Finale Matches will have all or part of them be played live. The live session will not start unless all players have indicated that they can be there at that time.
{37} The Genius: First Encounter is a game that is already expected to be on the longer side, so it is unlikely for deadlines to be extended significantly. That said, if you need an extension at any point in the game, please inform a Moderator and we will do our best to accommodate you. Please inform us at the earliest possible time, but please don't abuse this rule.
{38} If you know you're going to be away from the game for longer than 12 hours please inform us so we can plan ahead.
Last edited by mallowgeno on Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 10 times in total.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 am

Post by xofelf »

I'll be the listmod on this game, we're in for a fun one here :)
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:25 pm

Post by mallowgeno »

Due to feedback please observe the new added rule. If you have any questions please reach out:

{18.b} In the event that there are joint winners and multiple Death Match candidates and the joint winners cannot agree on the Death Match candidate the majority choice will be the Death Match candidate. If there is a tie that cannot be broken, there will be a tie-breaker challenge between all joint winners. The loser of this challenge will become the Death Match candidate instead
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 am

Post by Snakes »

Less than a week to get your applications in!
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:26 am

Post by Snakes »

This has come up so I want to clarify it.

The "challenges" in The Genius aren't the challenges you'd see in a typical Survivor game. It won't be "do this flash game" or "unscramble these anagrams". Instead, the matches will test your social and strategic skills. They'll be along the lines of "collect information" or "come up with a strategy for this game".

The first episode of the Dutch version of the Netherlands can be found here

The first episode of the Korean version is an even better introduction to the show. I don't want to post it in public, but if you message me, I can give you a link.

The Genius has also been run once before on MafiaScum. If you want to see the kinds of matches that were used, that game can be found here
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:09 am

Post by Snakes »

Are you a new player or someone who's struggled in these games and thinking about signing up? Then you absolutely should! The games are more complex, but that could be a good thing. Sometimes newer players in Survivor get voted out for not connecting as well with their tribemates as their tribemates connect with each other, and that's not going to happen in this format.

You'll still have to do well at the matches, but you'll have a chance to save yourself in the Death Match if you struggle in the Main Match. And the last time this was run, two of the players in the final 7 had never made the final 7 before.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:19 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Approximately 36 hours left for applications!
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:16 pm

Post by Snakes »

PMs have been sent to the players and replacements. If you haven't gotten a PM yet, you can assume that you're spectating.

If you haven't submitted an application yet and you'd like to be a spectator or replacement, message me on Discord at Snakes#1000. The spectator forum will be a fun place, with lively discussion, round summaries, inside information thanks to ProductionBot, and games!

This game will start on today on
Friday, October 14th at 7 PM Central
mallowgeno
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
mallowgeno
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:43 pm

Post by mallowgeno »

And we're off! If you would still like to spectate feel free to reach out and we can help with that!
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:39 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

Get to know the cast you should be spectating!

Currently Onboard the Enterprise: Bloodhound, Kim Possible, Marvin the Paranoid Android, Neo, Nomi Marks, Otacon, R.J. MacReady, Spock, Terminator, Tom Servo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Currently onboard the Millennium Flacon: Calculon, Dr. Amelia Brand, Dr. Louise Banks, Godzilla, Paul Atreides, Space Core, The Doctor, The Mandalorian, Yang Wen-Li, Zathras
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:17 am

Post by Snakes »

The first Main Match had players give each other gifts that were worth different amounts of points.

On the Enterprise, Nomi Marks won the Main Match and gave the token of life to R.J. MacReady.

ImageImage

On the Millennium Falcon, Zathras won the Main Match and gave the token of life to Dr. Amelia Brand.

ImageImage

Terminator was the Elimination Candidate on Enterprise and picked Kim Possible for the Death Match.

ImageImage

Calculon was the Elimination Candidate on the Millennium Falcon and picked the Mandalorian for the Death Match.

ImageImage
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:03 am

Post by Snakes »

Kim Possible did not show up to the Death Match, and was eliminated.

The Mandalorian defeated Calculon in their Death Match.

Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:19 am

Post by Snakes »

In round 2, players had to propose laws that would benefit themselves and have those laws approved.

On the
Enterprise
, Nomi Marks won the Main Match and gave the token of life to Terminator.

ImageImage

On the
Millennium Falcon
, Space Core, Yang Wen-Li, and Zathras got a joint win.

ImageImageImage

Marvin the Paranoid Android and Dr. Louise Banks were the Elimination Candidates on the
Enterprise
and
Millennium Falcon
, respectively.

ImageImage
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:04 pm

Post by Snakes »

Marvin the Paranoid Android selected Spock for the Death Match. They played Goofspiel, and Marvin the Paranoid Android defeated Spock.

Louise Banks did not select an opponent for the Death Match and was eliminated.

Last edited by Snakes on Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:19 pm

Post by Snakes »

After two rounds, our players landed on new planets.

On
Mars
is Bloodhound, Dr. Amelia Brand, Godzilla, Neo, Otacon, The Mandalorian, Tom Servo, and Zathras

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

On
Neptune
is Marvin the Paranoid Android, Nomi Marks, Paul Atreides, R.J. MacReady, Space Core, Terminator, The Doctor, and Yang Wen-Li

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:36 am

Post by Snakes »

In round 3, everyone had to play a Death Match against someone on the other planet.

Mars
lost more matches. They decided to make Bloodhound the Elimination Candidate. Bloodhound chose to face the Mandalorian in the Death Match.

ImageImage
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:22 pm

Post by Snakes »

Bloodhound decided to withdraw from The Genius.

Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:50 pm

Post by Snakes »

There was another swap, and our players blasted off into space on new ships.

On
The Razors Crest
is Otacon, Paul Atreides, R.J. MacReady, The Doctor and The Mandalorian

ImageImageImageImageImage

On
The Aperture
is Neo, Space Core, Tom Servo, Yang Wen-Li and Zathras

On
The Endurance
is Dr. Amelia Brand, Godzilla, Marvin the Paranoid Android, Nomi Marks and Terminator

Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:13 am

Post by Snakes »

In round 4, players had to retrieve briefcases from the other ships and avoid their ship getting blown up.

The Razor's Crest
crew minus Paul Atreides won the Main Match.

ImageImageImageImage

The potential Elimination Candidates were the players left on the ship that blew up,
The Aperture
, Marvin the Paranoid Android, Neo, Paul Atreides, Space Core, Zathras

Neo was selected as the Elimination Candidate. He picked Dr. Amelia Brand for the Death Match.

ImageImage
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:08 am

Post by Snakes »

In the Death Match, the players had to attack different planets, while making sure that they were the one to remove the last inhabitant. Dr. Amelia Brand defeated Neo.

Last edited by Snakes on Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:21 pm

Post by Snakes »

There was another swap! The three spaceships landed on new planets.

On
Arrakis
is Godzilla, Marvin the Paranoid Android, Otacon, Paul Atreides, The Doctor, The Mandalorian and Tom Servo

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

On
Caprica
is Dr. Amelia Brand, Nomi Marks, R.J. MacReady, Space Core, Terminator, Yang Wen-Li and Zathras

Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 am

Post by Snakes »

Main Match 5 tested whether everyone would cooperate, or if anyone would betray.

In the end, everyone cooperated and Tom Servo and Terminator found themselves in the Death Match.

ImageImage
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:11 am

Post by Snakes »

The Death Match was The Battle of LITS. Terminator terminated Tom Servo in the Death Match.

Last edited by Snakes on Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:37 pm

Post by Snakes »

After five rounds, we had a merge! The players had finally made it to
Earth

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:06 am

Post by Snakes »

In Main Match 6, everyone played Food Chain.

Dr. Amelia Brand (crocodile), Paul Atreides (Crocodile Bird), Space Core (deer), Terminator (hyena), The Doctor (rabbit) and The Mandalorian (otter) all won.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Godzilla (crow), Marvin the Paranoid Android (lion), Nomi Marks (snake), Otacon (chameleon), R.J. MacReady (duck), Yang Wen-Li (eagle) and Zathras (mouse) all lost.

Marvin the Paranoid Android was selected as the Elimination Candidate. He decided to challenge Nomi Marks.

ImageImage

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”