Let's talk Subjective challenges.

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Let's talk Subjective challenges.

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:37 pm

Post by kdowns »

I wanted to open up a little conversation on Subjective challenges. If you don't know what a subjective challenge is think of the creative challenges were you submit a picture/art/ etc... and a group of judges will rank your submission with the other submissions in the game with the best overall placing submission getting immunity or reward.

I personally do not like subjective challenges because it doesn't really feel like are in control and you're at the whims of the judges who are critiquing you. So you're not necessarily the sole reason on whether or not you win a challenge. I feel like when it comes to LSG/ORGs we should be using challenges that directly challenge the players skillset. Which while creative challenges do test the creativeness but they are left to whether or not they meet what the judge's like or dislike.
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #5 (isolation #1) » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:34 am

Post by kdowns »

I think I guess for me, if you're going to run a game that is based off a show that has no subjective challenges then you probably shouldn't add subjective challenges in a game that's trying to replicate the T.V show. For Survivor/Big Brother it's almost completely objective in all the challenges. Also there is super feels bad, I've never historically done great at subjective challenges and that may skew on how I feel. Though at this point you're introducing outside sources outside of the game that can indirectly have a huge impact on a players game. So it introduces elements that players can't control themselves. So it becomes a feel bad for a player that gets eliminated the round a subjective challenge happens.

I think the only time I've liked a subjective challenge was a challenge that was done in Hybrid which was a pair in which one person described the picture and the other player was trying to replicate them. While in LCA the Pitch the Idea challenge wasn't necessarily a good challenge because it was way too broad in what players could have done. So you have a situation where a video is getting compared to a script or power point presentation.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games [Big Brother: Digital Distortion Now Accepting Sign-ups!]”