Survivor: Civilization - Congratulations Boudica!!!

xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Post by xofelf »

Explain?
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:05 pm

Post by Shadoweh »

Make a points system and assign twists points values, so instead of eyeballing it we have like

1-5: basically TV Survivor
5-10: Got some game specific mechanics and probably a few swaps
10-15: game specific mechanics, possibly one or two bastard elements
15-20: Basically Arkham
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:45 am

Post by Xalxe »

In post 51, Shadoweh wrote:Make a points system and assign twists points values, so instead of eyeballing it we have like

1-5: basically TV Survivor
ha
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:44 am

Post by BROseidon »

Yeah TV Survivor is getting a lot more twist-heavy for stupid reasons.

Maybe make your base level, like "This season is like a pre-HvV seasons," because post-HvV is probably my line where seasons start getting stupid (RI, frequent captaining seasons). Maybe the line is better put at Second Chances, since post-SC seems to have ramped up even further.

On Borobudur: I think it was a really brilliant challenge. Part of the challenge was figuring out your wincon (fun fact: I actually "figured out" the wrong wincon. I went down every possible path because I just happened to find the correct path last. I originally thought you had to go to every person from every other person). If the challenge had a weirder/less obvious wincon, and you had to find it basically by stumbling into it, then I would be like "yeah that was a problem," but I don't think it was onerously hard to figure out "guess shit until it works, diagram what you're doing so as to not do shit multiple times in a row."

On twists: We need to figure this shit out preferably sooner rather than later. Like, it probably just makes sense to just set a scale and people can disagree with the scale on a personal level if they so desire (for example: I think the mafia rules for "normal" are bullshit because roles that require the mod to lie to the players are implicitly bastard, even if they are "common," but I am still very much aware that normal games on MS can have godfathers and that that is part of the standard). Like, this isn't the first game where this has happened (oh hi MLS), and it's probably important as we make more of an effort on a meta-level to run a wide range of types of games to counteract the recent trend towards heavy-twist/bastard.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:46 am

Post by Drench »

glad to see so many borobudur stans in the thread, please come along to our borobudur stan club igm next tuesday at the rooty hill rsl
join your union
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:20 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

In post 53, BROseidon wrote:I am still very much aware that normal games on MS can have godfathers and that that is part of the standard).
I don't think you are, because they can't.

Miller still exists there though.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:26 am

Post by BROseidon »

That finally got removed? It was definitely a thing for the longest time.

Millers are less bad but still dumb.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:08 am

Post by Shadoweh »

The most sensible thing to do would be to just score the survivor seasons for a comparison.
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:09 am

Post by Shadoweh »

Hey you said you did soccer as Booty Ka, we never got proof of that!
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:12 am

Post by BROseidon »

BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:12 am

Post by BROseidon »

I need to smize better.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Maybe have the LSG listmod reviewing it add a point for each individual thing or mechanic (or have a sliding scale;Returnee Twist? 3 points. Hidden idol? 1 point. Tribe swap? 1 point. Second tribe swap? 2 points, etc)

But I honestly think it's pretty involved for something that should be a common sense thing?

PSV would IMO be the best example of a "normal" game in our current site climate. Only twists were tribe swaps. And I think our site has come to expect 3 swaps per game at this point.

Curious what Drench meant by modular
green shirt thursdays
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:43 am

Post by Shadoweh »

PSV had tribes picked by the worst voted players, two double votes, two interesting tribe swaps and a bonus vacation. It felt very organic because everything was being explained as it happened, there weren't many surprises. It wasn't twisty for a site game! It's twisty say, compared to the first 15 seasons of survivor. That's the kind of comparison I mean.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:53 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Ehh but aren't a handful of items pretty par for the course
green shirt thursdays
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:55 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Yeah, it should definitely be on the Listmod to scale it since there's always going to be an inherent mod bias. I like the scale of 1-20 or 1-10 idea, but if we implement this we need to go through past games and score them.

I think what irked me about the twist-heaviness was this sentence:
with a few twists but nothing completely out of left field.
The thing with Mafia game normalcy is that the Notmal queue actually lets the mod implement exactly one non-Normal rule if they so choose. There might need to be some sort of parallel to that if we go for a normal/non-normal/bastard thing.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:26 am

Post by pablito »

Congratulations bro!
Sup, later.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:41 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 47, xofelf wrote:
In post 39, xRECKONERx wrote:#2- We really need a better way to classify games. It doesn't have to spell out every twist, sure. But I think there are very distinct levels in Survivor that people should be able to anticipate. In Mafia games, people label their games in various ways. "Bastard" means "oh fuck here I go with some bullshit". "Role madness" means the game will be more focused on role interaction than day deduction. "Normal" means a game that features a set list of mechanics. I'm not saying we have to be so granular, but there was a misunderstanding here between what the game entailed versus what the game ended up being. When I signed up for Arkham City, I knew it would be buckwild and expected it. When I ran #2016, we told people that there would be some wild mechanics regarding delegates. Here, I had no way to anticipate three tribe swaps PLUS returnee twist PLUS 16 items entering the game at merge. I just think it'd be nice for people to know what to expect. It's possible I'm operating in a vacuum and that shit doesn't matter to other people, so I would welcome feedback.
The Mish Mash mods have already started discussing some things with this and will be getting feedback from the community in order to help define what fits where. One of the bigger problems is that what one person considers heavily twisty isn't something that everyone across the board can agree is extremely twisty. It's easy to put games like the Arkham games and Doctor Who solidly in bastard/heavy twist territory, and games like Nexus and 2016 into very twist. But when it comes to games like Pretty Super Vanilla, Hogwarts, or Eon there isn't clear agreement on whether these are low twist games or not. So the plan is to figure out a standardized labeling system so that people know what to expect when they sign up for the games and we don't fall into this sort of problem again.
Thats why you have clear parameters. The reason no one has a clear idea is because theres no way to have this information.

I think we all thought thats what the mandatory reviewer was indicating. 17 items in a merge is not low twist. Items are not low twist. Tribe swaps every two rounds not low twist.

People have different definitions...but so what? how is that relevant

its a pre immediate problem. Civ and MLS have both really bamboozled players and made them upset.
Last edited by hiplop on Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
third best scummer of all time
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:45 am

Post by hiplop »

I think another major problem is lack of balance with items

In gc we saw how 3 idols can break the game. Ms has been towing much more dangerous lines for a while now with all the items injected into the games
kdowns
kdowns
He
Goddammit
kdowns
He
Goddammit
Goddammit
Pronoun: He

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:51 am

Post by kdowns »

I didn't get the chance to play because of real life stuff that happened, but I did want to thank the mods
For being very helpful and assisting me during that time and pulling me out when I couldn't focus on it for the real life thing that happened.
DrumBeats
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:05 am

Post by DrumBeats »

I thought Borobudur was a frustrating but very interesting challenge. I definitely enjoy the idea of it but my biggest issue with it was that it wasn't clear how we were being judged. As I was playing I had to angleshoot about what would make more sense for the mods to judge it by, number of moves or time. That definitely had an impact on how I played it because I spent extra time trying to optimize my paths with the map that I had of it. I think it was fine for us to go in not knowing it was a maze, but I think we should've known how it was being judged.
"Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway folks where the reasoning's made up and the reads don't matter."
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:09 am

Post by hiplop »

In post 69, DrumBeats wrote:I thought Borobudur was a frustrating but very interesting challenge. I definitely enjoy the idea of it but my biggest issue with it was that it wasn't clear how we were being judged. As I was playing I had to angleshoot about what would make more sense for the mods to judge it by, number of moves or time. That definitely had an impact on how I played it because I spent extra time trying to optimize my paths with the map that I had of it. I think it was fine for us to go in not knowing it was a maze, but I think we should've known how it was being judged.
yeah, this was bullshit. challenge was weird but fine, lack of judging criteria is a major no-no
DrumBeats
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 am

Post by DrumBeats »

And on the items, the big thing was just that the auction was so over saturated with them. We could've had just 8 then, and it'd have made it much better imo. The issue with 16 was that a lot of it came down to luck on who was bidding where on the 8 mystery prizes. Yes Alex had a ton of money, but he also got lucky that people didn't bid heavy on the mystery prizes he was going for. When you have 8 mystery boxes that contain such drastically different rewards (pizza vs an idol), it's a crapshoot. At 8 items, every item is likely to be bid somewhat heavily on, so it stops one person from sweeping them.
"Welcome to Whose Line is it Anyway folks where the reasoning's made up and the reads don't matter."
DrumBeats
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
DrumBeats
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:11 am

Post by DrumBeats »

In post 70, hiplop wrote:
In post 69, DrumBeats wrote:I thought Borobudur was a frustrating but very interesting challenge. I definitely enjoy the idea of it but my biggest issue with it was that it wasn't clear how we were being judged. As I was playing I had to angleshoot about what would make more sense for the mods to judge it by, number of moves or time. That definitely had an impact on how I played it because I spent extra time trying to optimize my paths with the map that I had of it. I think it was fine for us to go in not knowing it was a maze, but I think we should've known how it was being judged.
yeah, this was bullshit. challenge was weird but fine, lack of judging criteria is a major no-no
I think Boudica still beat me on moves though so it didn't matter in the end, but I was pissed about it at the time.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:21 am

Post by hiplop »

i think this game had a massive game-play stagnation and thats probably psychologically from so many items injected into the mess. No idea whats in the boxes leads people to be scared.

its a problem we saw on game changers, currently on BB19. Too many twists makes people scared to do anything.
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:56 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Yo i'm still pretty peeved that people got items and shit and I gotta Pizza giftcard X_X

Hope you enjoyed that Pizza Reck

Aren't hiplop and CC running a low twist game soon?
Show
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Retiring from LSG's and Mish Mash, for the most part. If you want to contact me, I suggest going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer, instead.

Definitely DID suck, in the end...Probably.

Return to “Social Game Archive”