Survivor: Civilization - Congratulations Boudica!!!

BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:32 am

Post by BROseidon »

I think how consistently well Summer, myself (when I'm not tilted off the face of the earth), Klick, etc do in challenges is indicative of challenge strength not being random.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:33 am

Post by BROseidon »

Like specific people definitely have their strengths (Klick with flash games, me with anything very weird/novel, etc), but there is definitely a shortlist of "potential challenge beasts"
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:49 am

Post by Aronis »

So is the problem here that challenge beasts aren't being valued enough? Cause I feel like that can take care of itself in terms of like at merge you can just go on a challenge run and win (now juries not properly respecting that play could be a problem) until people learn to vote you out. As far as premerge goes that's a double edged sword, cause if you get heavily valued then you're gonna get killed asap at merge, so do you really want to be seen as a huge challenge threat there?
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:39 am

Post by Cephrir »

it's kind of an interesting dynamic in the show where the premerge is more dangerous for weak challenge players. sure that's less pronounced in recent seasons but it's still part of the conversation
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:28 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Yeah, but I feel like there's no easy way to maintain that without really long tribal phases, longer than the show even. We're not going to be able to copy every element of the show like that for the obvious reason of not actually spending 39 days on an island. There's no shelter to be built, no sense of physical and mental attrition, that kind of stuff. Even in Medevac that stuff isn't a factor.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:15 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 148, Shadoweh wrote:The game is Outwit, Outplay and Outlast. Which parts of that are more important to each person is debatable, but the hardest part of each game to design is the mechanics and the 16 or so minigames in the form of challenges so they should be important in some way. Honestly, I think the reason no one likes challenge winners is people begin to see them not as people, but as mechanics in the game fucking with them, basically the npc obstacles they have to work around and defeat.
this is a good post

also HEAVY COSIGN whoever said the way to put value on challenge performance is to decrease swaps.
green shirt thursdays
SummerInWonderland
SummerInWonderland
Goon
SummerInWonderland
Goon
Goon

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:41 am

Post by SummerInWonderland »

In post 139, Cephrir wrote:the solution to this problem is less swaps
taddaaaa

this is super important imo
even in the real thing challenge ability is less valued when you think you are only going to be on a tribe for like 2 rounds

like in neds I gave zero fucks for challenges because I knew I was going to be safe/control the vote. Like even in here Boudica didn't perform great pre merge but at merge the switch is flipped. I don't understand why anyone would try in a challenge and get labelled "challenge threat" when they are going to be lots of swaps.... like here people are stilled considered threats if they perform well in challenge, it may not be "this person is a challenge beast" but it will be "this person is a threat, they are goood at challenges and such and such" I believe on MS you are still punished within the game for being good at challenges, especially if you show that in premerge. I think if anything it acts an excuse to target someone at merge. "Blair is so amazing at challenges (and like really hard to talk to) we need to vote her out"and things like that. Being goood at challenges pre merge raises your threat level but it also gives you no saftey during the premerge period. If it was valued more/A LOT less swaps then people who are stronger socially but are horrible at challenges might suffer more premerge which I am happy with because there is still the flip of at merge people being wary of others who performed welll in premerge challenges. I think there are quite a few people here who are better at challenges/not as social who we see leave premerge all the time because no one really cares about how people perform. I also think its more than people being challenge beasts its that there are people who really suck at challenges, like will always get the lowest scores/least helpful in a challenge who get by because they are likable.

Like Dan in School Survivor should have been in a little bit of danger because I showed up to like 2 challenges and did nothing but because of a lot of swaps/my social game I was never worried. I just think as of right now the people who are good at challenges have no reason to perform well, which is weird because in real survivor people are not itching to throw challenges, I am not even sure how many people who are good at challenges feel like its fine to throw them here but I see it as a good strategy if you are positioned well to survive to merge. That also is weird when you have people who are good at challenges/not particularly likable doing their hardest to win immunity for their tribe with also people who are likable/good at challenges not caring about the challenges.

basically rn performing well premerge still gives you a target (to some extent)
if you suck at challenges that will not hurt your chance of surviving premerge
so why would anyone who is both likable/good at challenges try in a challenge?

need someone to talk me out of why this isn't the best strategy for players like myself with how most of games on ms are very swapy
Curiouser and curiouser!
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:43 am

Post by BROseidon »

The last game I can think of that had tribes last more than 3 rounds is BotB.

Unless you count the joint TCs in Ned's which kind of don't count TBH
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:55 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Didn't Old World/New World last 4 rounds?

Catherine boot/Hattie boot/Liz boot/Montezuma boot?
Show
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Retiring from LSG's and Mish Mash, for the most part. If you want to contact me, I suggest going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer, instead.

Definitely DID suck, in the end...Probably.
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:58 am

Post by BROseidon »

Oh it totally did.

Maybe 4 is the upper cap.
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:57 am

Post by Shadoweh »

Watching people freak out because OW/NW wasn't ending was hilarious.
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Randomnamechange
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Randomnamechange
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:16 am

Post by Randomnamechange »

tribe swaps are bad tbh
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:16 am

Post by BROseidon »

I was so confused.

A tribal phase lasted more than 2 rounds!
Chevre
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Chevre
Honourable Mention
Honourable Mention

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:42 am

Post by Chevre »

I hated that old world couldn't fathom the idea of losing one more tribe member... But not until after I was eliminated
There will be no kisses tonight
There will be no holding hands tonight
'Cause what is now wasn't there before and should not be
CuddlyCaucasian
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
CuddlyCaucasian
Professor of Being a Dog
Professor of Being a Dog

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:33 am

Post by CuddlyCaucasian »

It doesn't help that most pre-merge challenges tend to be designed in a way that a couple people can carry the entire challenge. Usually what gets people voted out on the show is fucking up a challenge single-handedly, but in so many of the ones in MS games, you can abstain from contributing whatsoever and no one will know whether you suck or not
"CC is very [whatever the equivalent of photogenic as it applies to videos]" - racefan12

"CC is an objectively attractive person." - Crazy

"You look like a happy version of Trent Reznor." - LicketyQuickety

"Do you practice sounding like you're high all the time?" - xofelf
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:39 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 159, BROseidon wrote:Oh it totally did.

Maybe 4 is the upper cap.
Are we not familiar with the shit-show that was Bahamas? They were in a set of tribes for eight whole TCs. (There was then a palongo.)

(profile pic by datisi)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 164, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:It doesn't help that most pre-merge challenges tend to be designed in a way that a couple people can carry the entire challenge. Usually what gets people voted out on the show is fucking up a challenge single-handedly, but in so many of the ones in MS games, you can abstain from contributing whatsoever and no one will know whether you suck or not
This is a legitimate issue.

It's too hard by MS challenge design to single-handedly lose a challenge. A lot of the challenges are either bouts, or things that individuals can just SUPER hard-carry.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

We tried to do a few things to find a happy medium but as you mentioned it's incredibly hard to do. I kind of liked Neuschwanstein being bouts but allowing tribes to discuss strategies and whatnot. I'm not sure how much that added, though.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 166, BROseidon wrote:
In post 164, CuddlyCaucasian wrote:It doesn't help that most pre-merge challenges tend to be designed in a way that a couple people can carry the entire challenge. Usually what gets people voted out on the show is fucking up a challenge single-handedly, but in so many of the ones in MS games, you can abstain from contributing whatsoever and no one will know whether you suck or not
This is a legitimate issue.

It's too hard by MS challenge design to single-handedly lose a challenge. A lot of the challenges are either bouts, or things that individuals can just SUPER hard-carry.
This was a discussion I've been having with various people since I got here, with Mario Bros and then the design stuff that went into Bahamas. Finding ways to involve everybody in challenges is really important. I remember paying this a ton of mind in the Bahamas pre-merge but then since the climate changed, I didn't care at all about it when designing Bands.

(profile pic by datisi)
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:34 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Yeah the real thing is you kind of need to make challenges that require people to work together, but then people have to be online at the same time and that can be hard.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Well there's always a way to make stuff individual but still give everybody a part in it. There was the Solipskier challenge, both duel challenges (dots and boxes, and the bells), the challenge with the six different types of puzzles, etc.

EDIT: Plus, you could always have challenges done in small groups within a tribe. My games have tried this with Password in Bands and the Chain Reaction bonus round in Bahamas. Allowing a tribe to split up makes things a little bit easier on them.

(profile pic by datisi)
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:14 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Woah! This ended and I missed it!!!

Sorry I disappeared :(
I prolly had a chance otherwise!
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

I don't think you were nearly talkative enough to get much further than you did, to be honest. Nobody really felt much of a connection to you on Asia and that's why we got rid of you quickly.

(profile pic by datisi)
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 172, D3f3nd3r wrote:I don't think you were nearly talkative enough to get much further than you did, to be honest. Nobody really felt much of a connection to you on Asia and that's why we got rid of you quickly.
Really??

I thought I was doing a great job on that front!

Live and learn I guess! Ari will be more talkative than ever the next time he plays!!!

I was doing far better in the Terra until I stopped being able to. I honestly thought I had masterminded everything so I could get back into the game, setting up allies and lying to get my way. Worked out for the most part.
Perhaps I talked game instead of personal too much?
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

Oh, and congrats Bro!! :)
Well payed!
- Jingle

Return to “Social Game Archive”