KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:54 pm

Post by KittyMo »

The Survivor (Mish Mash Game) wiki page is finally up to date, as are its subpages for completed Survivor games in 2019. It has some overlap with the information in the anonymous character database, but displays it in a different format. Wiki articles are a great place to find voting records for games.

I've tried to set up redirects for modern games, including acronyms (RtC, KSS, RPG, PSV, LoL, etc.). So if you stick any of those into the wiki search bar, or the game name sans "Survivor" you should still be able to get the right article. But the particular page linked above links to every survivor game wiki record we have.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:48 am

Post by Iprobablysuck »

You are a legend
Show
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Retiring from LSG's and Mish Mash, for the most part. If you want to contact me, I suggest going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer, instead.

Definitely DID suck, in the end...Probably.
Ariel
Ariel
none please
edited 449 times in total
Ariel
none please
Pronoun: none please

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:54 pm

Post by Ariel »

now has a game record for non-Survivor LSGs. It has the same info as is on Survivor (Mish Mash Game) for Survivor games: Game Name with URL to game thread or wiki record, Mod Name(s), Anonymous or Non-Anonymous, # of Players, Game start/end date, Game length in days, Winner(s) and Runner-up(s).
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Post by xofelf »

Ariel, you're amazing <3
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:54 am

Post by xofelf »

There's been a couple new resources created lately, so updated the OP to include them. Is there a resource thread or wiki page for LSGs that we're missing? Give us a holler and we'll fix it.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pm

Post by T3 »

idk where to post this but what would some examples of challenges be?
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:28 pm

Post by xofelf »

A lot of the challenges are usually directly taken from some of the various Mish Mash games that are running at any given time. You could get a taste of some from various games if you check out the spreadsheet that is linked in the OP of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=120&t=79186
T3
T3
He/him
Survivor
T3
He/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:11 am

Post by T3 »

ty
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:48 am

Post by xofelf »

I'll be adding this to the OP in a second but, I was recently gifted this handy database of a TON of different challenge ideas, so if you're running out of ideas, look no further than here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:46 am

Post by Awoo »

Ah, this was for epicmafia survivor, the site that shut down, right? They played it in a chatroom, so a lot of these challenges would be really good for discord games, particularly the speed ones.
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:33 am

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 11, Awoo wrote:Ah, this was for epicmafia survivor, the site that shut down, right? They played it in a chatroom, so a lot of these challenges would be really good for discord games, particularly the speed ones.
I'm surprised anyone else actually remembers this.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:59 pm

Post by xofelf »

Yeah it was. I think some of these could be adapted for other games. It's still worth having the resource as a starting point for anybody who is looking for some ideas.
Cheery Dog
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Cheery Dog
Kayak
Kayak

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:04 am

Post by Cheery Dog »

I thought someone was attempting to put together a database of all past challenges at some point.

Actually I think that failed because they asked for community input/help and none of us stepped up.
Holder of the Longest Continuous Weekly Mafiascum Post Record. 1 July 2012 - 16 Feb 2023
*It may be held by someone else if you discount the major downtime in 2012 and 2014, I'm not doing the research.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:12 am

Post by xofelf »

There is one sorta, but largely that. I put in some stuff as I was building a game since I go through past games for challenge ideas. The thread still exists and so does the spreadsheet, it can still be contributed to.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:27 am

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

George Bailey
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:57 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

I was working on one complete with histories and variations but it's been deleted for a while now.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm

I have been informed that "The MS-hosted SMFs are going to be going away [...] We still have a few not-clean ones, but once those are used up that's gonna be it". Naturally, I have a few questions.

1) Hosting games on-site has been something that has been a goal ever since the LSG subforum was created. Why is this no longer something that the staff wishes to do?
2) Why are there only a few forums left, and why was the listmod team not proactive in getting these ready?
3) What happens when the next forum alternative chooses to go the same way as Zetaboards? Is there any effort being made to make sure that games can be permanently archived?
4) If Proboards is going to be the de facto forum software of choice going forward, what are the listmods doing to help game mods set up their games? It has been
almost four years
since the forum creation guide linked in this very thread became outdated; why has there not been a new one made yet? Don't give me crap about being busy; there is absolutely no reason you three couldn't have been working on this off and on. If this is something that you three don't feel is important then just admit that you don't care.

Cephrir said "Essentially this requires work and will require lots more work at some point in the future, and after a conversation with Kison and such it was determined that the benefit was not enough to continue to do that work." However, making sure that people are able to run games is part of your job, and I am baffled that given the options of "lower the difficulty barrier of making forums so more people can mod" and "Not do work" you would collectively choose the latter.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:14 pm

Post by Cephrir »

To be clear, the "work" I referred to was on the administrative/coding side, not ours.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:16 pm

And the work on helping people with Proboards?
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:31 pm

Post by Cephrir »

The time of the people who voluntarily do coding work is, as you know, very limited and we can't make unlimited demands upon it. Hosting games here is desirable, but not sustainable. My (likely incomplete as I'm not a tech person) understanding is that the current system will not be usable in the future due to incompatibility with the forum upgrade.

There are a few left *because* we were proactive about securing some in advance. I believe we have more ready at once right now than we ever have in the past.

We don't have control over what actions Proboards may decide to take in the future. A solution that ensures guaranteed game preservation is desirable. I don't currently have one, but it's something we will discuss.

A new complete forum creation guide would be nice to have. Now that we know Proboards will likely be the solution going forward, that should be the focus of any such effort, but this is a recent development. The idea that we don't care because this one task hasn't been completed is rather uncharitable; if we didn't care we would not volunteer our time in support of this community at all.
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:35 pm

In post 21, Cephrir wrote:A new complete forum creation guide would be nice to have. Now that we know Proboards will likely be the solution going forward, that should be the focus of any such effort, but this is a recent development. The idea that we don't care because this one task hasn't been completed is rather uncharitable; if we didn't care we would not volunteer our time in support of this community at all.
Again, Zetaboards has been gone for almost four years now. The website needing a new forum creation guide is not a recent development. I don't think it's uncharitable to think that a task that has been neglected for almost four years is a task that you (collective you) do not care about.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:14 am

Post by xofelf »

Yes the zetaboards guide is no longer valid because zetaboards does not exist, but we didn't have a guide for a long time before that one was made. As you well know, we had a guide because someone who was confident in how to design from start to finish as well explain it to other people made one. As I've been one the listmod on board the entire time since we've lost zetaboards, I can tell you it's not due to lack of care that a new one has not been made for proboards or even the Simple Machines boards. I personally don't feel confident in my abilities to use either of those forum software completely my own if I'm running a game, let alone enough to tell other people how to do things. Any time a problem has come up with how boards work, I know the people who *do* know how to answer those questions, and I've always referred people to those people instead. I could use a guide on boards just as much as anybody else could. I can't make a guide for something I need a guide to use. When I ran my game that was hosted on Proboards, Malkon05 was the one who set it up, and then CreativeMod1 was who made a spreadsheet that automated the process to just went to the direct pages on where to change things. I haven't needed a board since, so I haven't looked into further myself because I know there are people who are more competent than I am when it comes to the boards. We have never had any problems with anybody who did know how these things work as well as have the skill to explain in an approachable way to make a guide to help others. That has always been the case.

The boards that are connected to this forum discontinuing given there's another decent alternative, is not just our decision. It's on the admin and coding front. We don't run enough games frequently enough to prioritize hosting them. Hosting games on the site has not been one of the active goals of the LSG subforum, it was an idea if feasible on the coding and admin side of things and if they wanted to do it, but not something that was actively being worked towards. If that was a miscommunication somewhere, I'm sorry. It was a conversation we had with Kison recently when we were talking about the upgrade he and the coding team have been working on, and that was the decision that he made.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:06 pm

In post 23, xofelf wrote:As I've been one the listmod on board the entire time since we've lost zetaboards, I can tell you it's not due to lack of care that a new one has not been made for proboards or even the Simple Machines boards.
Not buying this for several reasons.

1) It's not about you individually, it's about the listmods as a team. Do you honestly believe CC didn't know how to set up a forum? Or Reck didn't? Working together the three of you could have chosen to make a guide, and you all chose not too. Now with Monty and Ceph the three of you could choose to make a guide, but once again you've chosen not to.

2) Saying you weren't involved in any games except the one Malkon had already made isn't an excuse. You all can choose to start working on games at any time.

3) Over a year ago I reached out and offered to help the listmods with a Simple Machines guide. Cephrir asked just enough questions to learn how permissions worked and then never addressed it again. Once again, this was
a year ago
. Never mind that you aren't using Simple Machines going forward; that was a recent decision and the fact that this was abandoned in January 2021 screams that it was never a priority in the first place.

The truth is, you once told me that you didn't believe that it was the listmods' job to make sure that games were ready to run. Helping mods get their games set up isn't one of the listmods' priorities. Honestly, I don't know what the listmods' priorities are. I know it's not facilitating LSGs.

It doesn't appear to be cultivating community either, as evidenced by the shitshow that is Clash of the Mash planning (or lack thereof). I honestly assumed that Clash was cancelled in 2020 because of the quarantine and that made sense, and then odd-numbered years were for Team Mafia. But then I find out that there was no planning in the first place? That is one of your jobs and all three of you dropped the ball. More than that, you refused to pick up the ball. Don't tell me that Clash isn't a listmod job, you and I had a long conversation about why it was something the listmods were responsible for. So to see Monty handwave away the collective dereliction of duty with the laughable idea that the three of you haven't had your schedules sync up in over two years and a promise that "we can help other people do similar things" is terrible. It's outsourcing your job.

And ultimately that's what you all want. You three don't want to listmoderate the LSG and Mishmash forums. You want to Be A Listmod. You want to have a blue name, but have other people do the heavy lifting. Xof, you were a fantastic listmod at the beginning of the LSG forum. You are not anymore. You've been coasting on name recognition for a long time to cover for inaction and lack of ambition for the forum and we both know it.

There are so many things that you all could be doing to make the LSG forum better. You haven't, because you don't care. At least have the decency to not lie about it.

Return to “Social Game Archive”