Jury Voting Philosophies

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
PrivateI
Goon

Pronoun: He

Post Post #0  (ISO)  » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm

So, Survivor: Ghost Island aside, it seems like MS historically has more divisive Tribal Councils than the show does. For example, having a zero vote finalist is relatively rare on MS, while it's almost a standard on Survivor.

If you agree with the above, why do you think that is? My initial thought is that there's more pressure on jurors on the show to be "right", and that, conversely, on MS, there's almost no true "accountability" for jury votes. What do you think?

hiplop
Jury Darling

Post Post #1  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:22 am

i think there is less stakes to who ends up ultimately winning. you're not crowning a new millionaire, you're not spending 39 days starving and having this massive transformative experience. People who are on survivor 99% of the time its the biggest, craziest, most memorable moment of their life. There is gravitas there.

Online there are outside factors like "meta", complete apathy to who wins and way more votes that come from a lack of stakes. It doesn't matter who wins, and that makes some people not take their vote very seriously.
third best scummer of all time

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #2  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:10 am

I would say 2 things:

1) Lack of pressure to be right is pretty big. Closer votes were more common pre-Samoa. Votes have certainly felt less personal in the post-Samoa/HvV world.

2) Jury hiveminding is a lot more extreme in IRL Ponderosa than ours, for w/e reason. Combined with the urge to be "right," everyone has a sense of what games were played and can bias towards that very hard.

Aronis
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:56 am

Tbh I don't really make the jury so it's pretty hard for me to have a philosophy about it
"Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona."
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=76252

Skelda
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:41 pm

I agree with BRO. In actual Survivor, there's a hivemind effect on Ponderosa usually, though of course you can have split votes like we saw last season. I think on MS some people try to rebel against the dominant narrative more often whereas on the show they feed into it.

Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #5  (ISO)  » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:03 pm

The lack of prize is a big part of it; on the show ultimately the jurors are answering "Who do you think deserves a million dollars?" whereas here we're answering "Who deserves to win the game?" And we have an incredibly wide range of attitudes here about what The Game actually is. Some jurors here are all about social play while others are more willing to reward strategically sound moves that backstabbed them.
"I used to think that votes equaled pressure, too, back when I was alive. I've learned a lot since then. You know what does equal pressure? Pressure. Pressure equals pressure. Crazy, huh?"

xofelf
Miss Mash

Pronoun: She

Post Post #6  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:01 am

I think here on MS we have some people who will vote certain ways because they don't want a specific person to win, rather than just who they vote for to win. And I don't think that's nearly so common on the show? I don't really see show people using their jury votes to punish gameplay styles or people they don't like, like some people have on MS.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Xof has a new place for you to ask her questions. Do it upppp

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #7  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:17 am

Gabon would like a word!

BROseidon
Expert Marxman

Post Post #8  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:18 am

But yes MS is much more into spite-voting than the actual show is. The last purely spite-driven winner was, like... Sophie?

Iprobablysuck
Townie

Post Post #9  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 am

My idea of how to vote is to open the voting thread and type up a name of one of the finalists
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Shadoweh
Idol Hands

Pronoun: She

Post Post #10  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:40 pm

In post 6, xofelf wrote:I think here on MS we have some people who will vote certain ways because they don't want a specific person to win, rather than just who they vote for to win. And I don't think that's nearly so common on the show? I don't really see show people using their jury votes to punish gameplay styles or people they don't like, like some people have on MS.

WEll, yeah. There are returnee seasons but most people in Survivor don't expect to play again, while some of us have played 20 times? :P
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
Plan B: it serves you right if i (hug) you in the face though, right?
I love it when people talk about my brutal murder in front of me, it's actually my secret fetish - Sangmin

McMenno
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:41 pm

you have only played 12 times though
Show

randomidget
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #12  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:23 pm

as someone who hasnt seen the show and has never gotten to the jury stage of a game of survivor i have absolutely no idea
vonflare (21:40)
you suck randomidget

Drench
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #13  (ISO)  » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:54 pm

In post 8, BROseidon wrote:But yes MS is much more into spite-voting than the actual show is. The last purely spite-driven winner was, like... Sophie?

<33333 sophiesus legend
join your union

[ + ]

Return to Large Social Games