Best way to do relationship charts?

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:05 am

Post by Awoo »

No, haha, who does that? We're talking about the spectators who are trying to make sense of all your vibing.

Here's an new option, it's a thing called NodeTrix. Here's the paper. If it's tl;dr, scroll all the way down to the bottom page and then zoom in. They give a lovely image as an example. Basically this system combines the two major ideas posted so far in this thread, which is node-edge diagrams and spreadsheets. It finds the communities in a network, and then represents those communities as matricies. I can't seem to get it to work, perhaps it is because their documentation looks like some sort of postmodern meme format.

Spoiler: when you {2}

Here's an example of what someone did with it:
Spoiler: test2

Thinking of a merge situation for example, I can see something that combines a graph with a special tool for detailed community visualization being effective at understanding the big picture of a game [Side A vs. Side B with a couple swing votes] and then getting a more detailed picture of each faction and the interactions between them and amongst themselves using the community visualization tool. [Swing votes are closest with these people, who is the leader of side A/B, etc.]

The downside, as with most node-edge based tools, is that it doesn't seem to handle different types of relationships [friend, enemy, nonmutual, etc] very well.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:55 am

Post by Awoo »

This is probably the best chart I've seen, coming from meme playing as Rainbow Dash in Equestria.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=619

There's so much that is good about this chart.
1. It focuses on an individual player, which scales the information density from n^2 to n.
2. Not only does it show all of RD's relationships, it shows every group she is involved with, as well as all their members.
3. Displaying enemies is so easy, just don't include them in any circle.
4. Non-mutual / shaky relationships are accounted for as well, look at the dotted line circle with Soarin in it.

Downsides: It does not look easy to make one for every single person in the game!!!
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:41 am

Post by Klick »

I thought about posting Rainbow Dash's alliance graph but it didn't seem to be exactly what you were after
I'm sure there's a nice answer for this and I've been thinking about it for the last few days, but I haven't figured it out yet
CaptainMeme
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
CaptainMeme
He/Him
Banana Split
Banana Split
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:50 am

Post by CaptainMeme »

I like my graph too but I feel like it only really works if you're like me and keep your alliances very compartmentalised :D If you're better at social game and are more flexible with your alliances, I think trying to make a graph using circles becomes very difficult and convoluted.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:01 am

Post by Klick »

That's the problem - different players view their connections using different metrics and what you're looking for in part is a method of standardising those connections. An optimal solution would probably have some sort of spectrum for how close players/alliances are to each other.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:10 am

Post by DeathNote »

^This. So many games I would look back at past relationships fondly but it turns out that they didn't.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Cephrir
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Cephrir
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:13 am

Post by Cephrir »

yeah that's always my least favorite thing to see in a postgame

when i would consider dying for someone and they're like "who? oh that annoying guy who always wants me to talk about my feelings?"
"I would prefer not to." --Herman Melville,
Bartleby the Scrivener
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:23 am

Post by Awoo »

In post 29, Klick wrote:That's the problem - different players view their connections using different metrics and what you're looking for in part is a method of standardising those connections. An optimal solution would probably have some sort of spectrum for how close players/alliances are to each other.
I think there are three (easily quantifiable) dimensions to relationships in LSG's.

(a) Do I like this person? (Do they like me?)
1. Yes
0. Neutral
-1 No

(b) Do I think this person is threatening, or weak? (Do they think I am threatening or weak?)
1. This person is threatening
0. Neither
-1 This person is weak

(c) Based on the two previous questions (or not), do I plan on keeping this person in the game? (do they plan on keeping me in the game?)

1 I would fight against a vote on this person
0 I would not fight against a vote on this person
-1 I would be enthusiastic about a vote on this person

These dimensions go both ways, so they can all be either mutual or non-mutual.

(X) --- celi I love you ---> (Y)
(X) <--- regi u suck ----- (Y)

would be
(X) ==[1] => (Y)
(X) <=[-1]== (Y)

On (a), I don't even want to get into trying to chart how much someone "trusts" someone else. In my experience, that is incredibly subjective and changes on a dime. I feel like you have far better odds just recording how much people say they like each other, since players tend to say that they like people that they trust and vice versa. So in this sense, (a) is a bit of a fuzzy mix of {social compatibility, game compatibility, trust} and all the other hidden factors in the human heart that make someone worth liking or not. People also tend to post who they like and dislike in their confessionals, so you can get away without relying on spec questions for this one (unless the cast really sucks)

(b) is a game related question, and helps specs understand the "perception is reality" that's happening in the game. Players tend to answer this unprompted, and in a way that is consistent with the way that they end up acting.

(c) So here's the problem from a spec POV, it's easy to get the answer to question (a), because people post that all the time in their confessionals, and if they don't you could post targeted questions. It's easy to get the answer to (b) for the same reasons as (a). But it's not possible to get the answer to (c), because LSG's are complex and sometimes the players themselves don't really know what they want. Sometimes they will say they want to do something the whole game, and intend to do something the whole game, and then never actually do it (read: every single one of my confessionals). Plus, people's plans change based on complex forces that don't nicely fit into data points.

Ultimately, the information that we want to chart is (c), but it's not possible to get a perfect representation of that. So our options are we try to guess at the answer to (c), or we can just stick to charting what we know in (a) and/or (b). Personally I am inclined towards the latter, since some of the fun of being a spec is looking at the gamestate and guessing what will happen next. Or at the very least, having a decent understanding of the gamestate so you can formulate your own hot takes.

To get back to Klick, I believe that ideally you would have some sort of spectrum where you could read everybody's mind better than they can read it themselves and determine exactly how close they are to each individual person in the game on a continuous scale of -1 to 1 or what have you, but I don't think it's practically feasible. At the moment I think the most practical thing to do is get the answers to yes/maybe/no questions and keep track of them that way.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:56 am

Post by Klick »

Yeah (c) becomes really complicated because different players (and sometimes even the same players on different days) use different levels of (a), (b), and other factors to determine what they actually want to do about people.

On a personal level I'd enjoy putting together my own subjective inference-based chart of how a game is going using my own read on (c). I could even see a situation where a decent chunk of a spec forum worked together to craft their generally accepted version of what was happening in the gamestate and charted it. Both of these feel like they'd be similar to Edgic in terms of their subjectivity and how you'd go about collecting the data.

But if you're looking for something more practical, then yeah going the (a)/(b) route, asking direct questions to the players and making a chart based on responses seems like it would be your best bet. Snakes did something like that in Equestria, and I thought the results were really interesting and gave some strong insight into why the game unfolded the way it did from around F8 on.
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:19 pm

Post by xofelf »

I think there's a little bit of a problem with that scale there, Awoo. Some people are a lot more nuanced than that. Like sometimes you can trust somebody and work with them but absolutely hate them, and you can really like people that you need to throw under the nearest bus. How do you quantify those situations? How do those display differently than the traditional like=trust dynamics? Or do those show up the same?
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:40 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

In post 34, xofelf wrote:Like sometimes you can trust somebody and work with them but absolutely hate them, and you can really like people that you need to throw under the nearest bus.
Wait that happens?
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:48 pm

Post by Awoo »

It's not that complicated, really.

Here's a person that I hate, but I want to drag to the end because they're a goat:

(a) (HERO) --- dislikes ---> (VILLAIN)
(b) (HERO) --- sees as weak ---> (VILLAIN)

Here's a person that I like, but need to cut because they're a social threat

(a) (HERO) --- likes ---> (ALLY)
(b) (HERO) --- sees as threat ---> (ALLY)

Given this raw data and a little bit of confessional reading, we can come to the (subjective, potentially inaccurate) conclusion that:

(c) (HERO) --- would fight against a vote on ---> (VILLAIN)
(c) (HERO) --- would not fight against a vote on ---> (ALLY)

And this is where those personal nuances come into play. Depending on hero's complex nuances, he may or may not want to go to the end with villain.

In general, like/dislike (a) would have more impact on actual intentions (c) early on, and perceived threat level (b) would have more impact in the late game. But since we're humans and not robots, we can't say that for certain. That's why I think the best thing to do is just chart (a) and (b), then leave the viewer to come to their own conclusion about (c).
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 pm

Post by McMenno »

In post 31, Cephrir wrote:yeah that's always my least favorite thing to see in a postgame

when i would consider dying for someone and they're like "who? oh that annoying guy who always wants me to talk about my feelings?"
:unamused:
mafiascum is on life support
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 35, VashtaNeurotic wrote:
In post 34, xofelf wrote:Like sometimes you can trust somebody and work with them but absolutely hate them, and you can really like people that you need to throw under the nearest bus.
Wait that happens?
People hating each other but going to the end together: Regi and Deoxys

People liking each other but needing to cut the other for being a threat to win: literally every game in history
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:02 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 34, xofelf wrote:I think there's a little bit of a problem with that scale there, Awoo. Some people are a lot more nuanced than that. Like sometimes you can trust somebody and work with them but absolutely hate them, and you can really like people that you need to throw under the nearest bus. How do you quantify those situations? How do those display differently than the traditional like=trust dynamics? Or do those show up the same?
However here's what she meant:

Hero, Villain, and some other people are being threatened by a big alliance, lead by Cult Leader and need to band together to stop them. Hero has no intentions of working with villain in the long run, and really they don't like each other all that much, but they need to stay together in the short term to survive. So seeing only the following data:

(HERO) -- dislikes --> (VILLAIN)
(HERO) -- isn't thinking about the threat level of --> (VILLAIN)

would not lead you to the conclusion that

(HERO) -- would oppose a vote on --> (VILLAIN)

Which means it is also necessary to somehow communicate players that are grouped together for nontrivial reasons, such as voting blocks, majority alliances on a tribe, outcast alliances, etc. From there you could view the dynamics inside the voting block and reasonably predict that hero is only working with villain for the short term.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:25 am

Post by Awoo »

This is a seemingly dead project, and it's not written in english, but the pictures look cute. Posting just for inspiration.

https://github.com/xinyzhang9/friend-circles
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Fri May 08, 2020 4:06 am

Post by Awoo »

Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 2:07 pm

Post by Awoo »

Interesting tech to keep an eye on

https://github.com/penrose/penrose
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 3:39 pm

Post by PrivateI »

McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Mon May 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Post by McMenno »

big moves maddie!!!
mafiascum is on life support
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 1:51 pm

Post by xofelf »

Found this chart today:

Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”