[Standard]Survivor: TRTWIUAA {Final Tribal Council}

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
ScootsBaboo
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #725 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:35 am

Post by ScootsBaboo »

In post 715, DeasVail wrote:Apologies for the late entrance, but I just wanted to say congratulations to all three of you on making it to the end! You all played great and contributed to what was overall an enjoyable game experience for me.

In a game of much angst, of a neverending journey to discover the true meaning of 'newbie', I want to know what each of you most enjoyed about the game! It could be a moment, it could be something you did, it could be a more general thing! I invite you to take a break from the nitty gritty game details and tell me a bit more about what makes playing these things truly worth it.
Hi DV!
For me there were 2 big reasons why playing this game has been such a fun & rewarding experience.
The first is simple, I've dreamt of being on Survivor since I was a kid, so getting to play even a facsimile of the show that's meant so much to me over the years has been really rad. Unless there's another slow-formatted one like this in the future, this is likely to be my last ORG due to my crammed + ever-changing schedule, so I really wanted to fill my cup and savor everything! Every challenge I won, vote survived, swap/merge made, and of course making it all the way to the FTC felt like a miniature version of a dream come true!

The big one for me though has been being able to talk with you all. This game started less than a week before I moved to Chicago, an entirely new city away from all of my family and friends. I have been living in Chicago for less time than I have been in this game with you all. December-January was a stressful (job search), lonely (thanksgiving alone), unhealthy (my stressed-out immune system let in 3 colds and tonsillitis in the first month and a half, ugh), and intimidating time of my life. Being able to meet and talk to all of you was such a gift. You were all a huge source of warmth for me when I really needed it, and I'm so thankful.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #726 (ISO) » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:00 pm

Post by PrivateI »

The time for questions is over. Jurors, that means no one-off comments, no additional questions or clarifications, your time is up until we reveal the votes.

Finalists, you can take the next day to answer any remaining questions or provide clarifications. By this time tomorrow, you'll also be tasked with posting a closing statement in your confessional. Tomorrow, we'll post the closing statements, and jury, it'll be time to lock in your votes.

It's been a long road to get here. I wish you the best of luck.
ScootsBaboo
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #727 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:20 am

Post by ScootsBaboo »

In post 706, Haschel Cedricson wrote:Excellent answers, all of you.

I'm going into this FTC with an open mind, and while certain directions are starting to look more attractive than others my vote is not locked in. Every juror gets to choose what kind of game is the best to reward, and I personally want to give it to the best
overall
game.

So what does this mean for all of you? Social. Strategic. Structural. You need to convince me you were the best in at least two of these, and I don't care which two. Do that, and you have my vote.

Please rank the three of you in each of those categories, and be specific when it comes to explaining why your #1 in each category is placed there.
Haschel! Wow! What a killer of a question. All three of us have been pulling our hair out over it in the discord, well done.

SOCIAL
: Me, Zor, Bella
I think I'm number 1 here easily, both Zor and Bella have talked up my likability, but that's not the entirety of a good social game and that's not the entirety of mine. In her rankings, Bella said that it's impossible to be everyone's BFF, and I agree. (In an earlier post I quoted a confessional of mine that said that my strategy was to be everyone's 'secret BFF', which I actually mentioned to Bella was hyperbole. If I had been more literal, I would have written secret alliance member or even just secret buddy or something like that.)

Of course part of a good social game is forming real relationships, but I think that definition is incomplete. I tend to agree more with Zor's: A good social game is not
just
being likable, which I was, but it's using your social skills and your charisma to manage people's perception of you to serve your strategy, and I don't think anyone did that better than I did. I made people perceive me as a helpless newbie, or as an isolated loner they could scoop up, an ear to bounce strategic ideas off of, or whatever I thought they needed me to be in the moment so they would trust and work with me. Unfortunately it's impossible to type up a more intricate description of my methodology here because it's made up of a million tiny choices and interactions that all pushed me in one direction, and the results show I executed it flawlessly: everyone thought I was with them until it was too late to do anything about it.

To add to that, I don't necessarily believe Bella's relationships went that much deeper than mine, even given her head start of already knowing many of you. I've said a few times these last couple days that it literally didn't matter
to my game
who stayed and who went, but that doesn't mean it didn't matter to me, or that I didn't have genuine relationships with y'all. To go off her stated examples: I also talked with Entreri about Fire Emblem and how much we hate permadeath, as well as other video games. I have a collection of heart emojis on my mantle from Vash, so it sucked for me when he went too (<3). I cannot wait to talk more about Wie is De Mol with both Het and Radja when this game is all over. In our too-short time together, Hasch, I got to listen to your Bluegrass music, and we bonded over male-pattern baldness (sorry if that last bit was a secret). I could go on, but my point is: Bella and Zor both gave their definition of a good social game that they felt they had, but I had both.

I put Zor second and Bella third because I value his definition of social game more.

STRATEGIC
: Me, Zor, Bella -OR- Zor, Bella, Me

This one has felt like it's been the hardest part of my game to explain to you all, and I think it all boils down to whether or not you accept me intentionally leaving my foot off the gas pedal as an valid strategy. I've gone into great detail in many of my other posts, so I don't really feel the need to rehash the finer details, but if my gameplan to you is something you consider a valid strategy, then I'm number one. I've shown that I formulated a plan to propel me through the game, I executed it perfectly, and it was successful. But if you don't, as I see a few jurors do not, then that would put me in last. C'est la vie!

STRUCTURAL
: Me, Bella/Zor

The structure of the game lent itself to my natural skillset, thankfully, but I also was able to adapt in places where it did not. Yes, the majority of the challenges were timed puzzles and my hobby is doing speed-crosswords. Yes, the multitude of swaps made it crucial to be able to make good first impressions, and I have a lot of experience with that through my work and hobbies as well. I'd like to highlight, though, where the structure of the game provided an obstacle for me and how I worked around/through that.

NON-ANON
Quick aside, I remember having to ask a buddy in the first round or so why this game is non-anonymous when people still were using usernames and not telling people their names, I was like...isn't that still anonymous lol. Like I was introducing myself by name to everyone on my tribe cuz I thought that's what non-anonymous meant :lol:. Anyway!

Once I realized what non-anonymous
actually
meant for the game, I knew I had some work ahead of me. I was in the dark as to the degree of the strength of the bonds of the players in this community. Going in, I thought that my ability to make relationships with people would be my advantage, but once I learned there had been
live meetups
, I saw I was starting the race a few lengths behind. One of the big red flags was LadyLambdaDelta actually. PanzerJager had jokingly thrown out her name in the main thread, and she was simply inconsolable with grief over how game-ruining this was for her. The vibes were 100% wrong though, and when I discovered that they knew each other IRL, I realized how deep underwater I was, with the possibility of cross-tribal partnerships that I had no way of knowing about. An unspoken alliance could have been wink-formed before the game even started, and bob's your uncle. There were a lot of unknowns.

The way I used the non-anonymity of the game to my advantage was all in my social game. I flipped the disadvantage into an advantage by managing my perception by leaning into it, purposefully making many of my relationships into teacher-students, asking many players MS related questions I already knew the answers to from other players. More than few people showed me that Youtube video of the survivor meet, for example, but each time I pretended like it was new information. Every time someone 'warned' me, for example, about the history/power of another player, I was
so thankful omg what would I do without you.
Same for when people 'filled me in' on where a vote was going, I pretended I was among the last to hear about it even though most of the time I was there when the vote was decided.
This helped me because one, the obvious, is that information power, so the more information coming to me the better. Two, the psychological, is that people love talking about something they're passionate about, so me giving people the opportunity to "teach" me not only made them feel good, but it made it seem like I needed them, and therefore could never turn on them. Three, the strategic, is that it lowered my threat level. The Devil You Don't Know is a real thing, as evidenced by the hysteria surrounding DK's elimination. It was his first MS game too, but his star was shining so brightly due to everyone's worrying about how strong a player he secretly was. I purposefully steered the other direction, making myself seem harmless.

Zor is next because, by Bella's own admission, this was her weakest category. Structural obstacles to her were obstacles, not opportunities.

~~~~~~~~

Well, Hasch, I hope that answered your absolute doozy of a question! The hardest one I had to answer for sure.
ScootsBaboo
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #728 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:33 am

Post by ScootsBaboo »

I have to be going into work soon, up until time's up, so I'll submit my closer now. I'll make it quick.

First, this has been an absolute joy. I'm so thankful to all of you, jurors, prejurors, bella, zor, mods, everyone, for being a part of an amazing, if at times seemingly infinite, journey!

I know that my strategy was not one that many of you were looking for when you came into this FTC. I know that a few of you had your minds made up that I was a goat before this questioning all started. I hope that my answers have shown that I was not, that I knew what I was doing, and that my strategy was calculated, meticulous, persistent, and effective.

Whatever happens, I hope to remain a part of this community in the future, even if only as a spectator. Bella, Zor, fantastic job both of you, and good luck!
Thanks again for a great time, everyone!
-Aaron
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #729 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Post by PrivateI »

ScootsBaboo has already posted his closing statement. By request, I will be posting the remaining closing statements earlier than anticipated. Zoraster's will be first, then Bellaphant's.

Jurors, you will have until (expired on 2020-02-07 17:00:00) to submit your final votes in your confessionals.

We will have the live reveal tomorrow evening, around 8 PM EST.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #730 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Zoraster's Closing Statement

I believe I've made my case for your vote forcefully in my Opening Statement and answers: I had a plan to form strong individual relationships and manage threat levels. I did both of these exceptionally well, which led me to sit in front of you with what is an incredibly strong resume. This was a terrific FTC, and I shared it with two people whose games I truly and honestly respect. But although I am prone to overlong messages, I'll trust the jury and let my prior posts speak for themselves.

This is the last long-form Survivor game for me. I loved almost every minute of the 83 days, but it took
everything
out of me. I plan to mod, play short-form games, and Skelda has commanded my presence at Survivormeet. But I don't think I can do better than the game I played here. I don't mean I played perfectly, but I played as well as I personally -- with all the strengths and weaknesses I possess -- am capable of. And win or lose, it's a game I am proud of and confident I will never surpass.

The only thing that shakes my resolve
isn't
the desire to win (or win again if you think I'm worthy of your vote), but rather the desire to play again with the people I got to know this game. However, the truth is that this game was the medium for breaking down the barriers I put up in my position on the site, and that work has already been accomplished because I have an immense amount of fondness for all the people I shared the last three months with.

Thank you for the opportunity to live it with you. It was an honor.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #731 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:01 pm

Post by PrivateI »

So, that’s been an interesting few days. I feel like I’ve still achieved my goal: tell the truth and be nice to people. And I’ve managed that more than anyone in this FTC. Haschel’s strategy question was designed to set us apart, but I think other people proved everything I’ve been trying to say about my game: Personally, I was honest, I was upfront, I owned my mistakes and I showed you all what I was proud of. More than that, I think I’ve proved I can read a room.

Presenting myself honestly has been important to me this game: whether it’s getting frustrated at challenges, being genuine in my relationships or giving credit where it’s due to others. I’m not telling people what they want to hear or trying to manipulate anything: you are all worthy competitors with your own takes on what a winner looks like. It’s pretty clear from Zor’s responses about what FTC looks like if the game goes differently that no matter how hard he wants to undersell my game, I am a worthwhile opponent. I find it difficult to ring my own bell, but I hope the right choice is clear here.

I do feel like my method of small, smart moves have led to me having a superior strategic and structural game. For example, things like the votes on PJ that Scoots told us all he didn’t know why he placed being one of those ‘little moves’ that helped my game - I was worried about an idol and used my relationship with Brom to get him and Scoots to place non-majority votes to keep me safe. These strategic moves do come out of relationships, though, and this is where I feel I have the edge over my two opponents: you can’t forget, especially in a non anon game, that you are talking to real life people. I leave the below for you to draw your own conclusions from.

Spoiler:
Bella:God, I cried last time I voted him out too ;)
Zor: Vash?
Bella: Yeah
Zor: Aw. When was that? i'm choosing to blame the mods here. out of curiosity, what was your plan with vash going forward?

I’ve said it before, but thank you, all of you. I hope those who were new to us stick around. I’ve enjoyed speaking to you all over the last three months - whether it’s making new friends or reconnecting or deepening existing relationships.

PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #732 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:23 am

Post by PrivateI »

Results may be slightly delayed tonight as much as an hour. See you then!
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #733 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:33 pm

Post by PrivateI »

For timing consistency, we'll be starting at 9PM EST, in just 27 minutes.
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chesto berry

Post Post #734 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:38 pm

Post by Chemist1422 »

obligatory hype and congrats!
GTKAS

“you're an empty-glass-but-there-might-be-INVISIBLE-Water kinda guy” -Iprobablysuck
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #735 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:41 pm

Post by McMenno »

spoopy
mafiascum is on life support
Iprobablysuck
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Iprobablysuck
Goon
Goon

Post Post #736 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:42 pm

Post by Iprobablysuck »

Posting here like a rebel
Show
Do I REALLY suck? That's up to you to decide.

Retiring from LSG's and Mish Mash, for the most part. If you want to contact me, I suggest going outside and enjoying what the world has to offer, instead.

Definitely DID suck, in the end...Probably.
ScootsBaboo
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
ScootsBaboo
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #737 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:43 pm

Post by ScootsBaboo »

Whatever happens, be sure to follow me on Twitter @ScootsBaboo :good:
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #738 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:47 pm

Post by zoraster »

Thanks to everyone who played, modded and spectated. I have NO idea how this is going to turn out (I've made what will probably be laughable guesses in my confessional), but I had a great time! FTC was a lot of fun, hanging out with Bella and Scoots.
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All

Post Post #739 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Post by McMenno »

RABBLE
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #740 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:00 pm

Post by PrivateI »

We started with 32 people, for the first time ever. It was a nonanonymous game, for the first time in a long time. And after so many blindsides, so many memories, and a shocking number of logic puzzles, it all comes down to this.

Three people. Three different approaches to the game. And now...one winner.

I'll read the votes.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #741 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Spoiler: Entreri
At the end of the day I feel like I need to vote for the player who made more #bigplays. I feel bad about it bc I think Bella literally couldn't due to her reputation, and made as many as she could. I still gotta go with Zor though.

Zoraster
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #742 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:01 pm

Post by zoraster »

Thank you, ent!
Jamelia
Jamelia
Goon
Jamelia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #743 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:02 pm

Post by Jamelia »

DONT READ MY VOTE I NEED TK SEND AN EXPLANATION WHY
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #744 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Post by PrivateI »

Spoiler: Jamelia
Can I just send it to you
Privately
I’m at work
I’m voting for zoraster

Zoraster

That's two votes Zoraster
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All

Post Post #745 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Post by McMenno »

tf u sayin
Jamelia
Jamelia
Goon
Jamelia
Goon
Goon

Post Post #746 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Post by Jamelia »

THATS NOT MY EXPLANATION LOL :(
Chemist1422
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chemist1422
Chesto berry
Chesto berry

Post Post #747 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Post by Chemist1422 »

did a post just appear somewhere
GTKAS

“you're an empty-glass-but-there-might-be-INVISIBLE-Water kinda guy” -Iprobablysuck
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #748 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:04 pm

Post by BROseidon »

Is it the one u sent me over Skype?
McMenno
McMenno
they/them