How do you play the early game?

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:14 pm

Post by Skelda »

It also definitely is the case that in games with more frequent swaps, the rewards for being on top are less and less, so something to keep in mind. But I think having control and getting the most beneficial eliminations for yourself can be its own reward.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:39 pm

Post by DeathNote »

I figured it wasn't popular advice but it's how I reach end game as often as I do. I also personally target the people who are likable, even if I like them myself, because the goal of the game is to win. There will always be an "X" factor of human attachment but if you at least go into that first round knowing the most likable person is a threat, then you won't be so shocked when they ditch you for the safer option.

I'm also by no means saying make enemies with the person everyone likes. I just mean you should keep in mind they have lots of options and you might not have as many so don't latch onto them as if they are your savoir. Skelda, we are on the same page in that you want to pretend to be friends with them and if it works out great, I'm just saying don't rely on it.

As for being on top, nah... I disagree with you. Attention in the long run, is generally bad. Sometimes you will go on an immunity streak and not have to worry about it (urbosa) but most of the time, you are just digging yourself a grave. If we are talking practically in surviving the first few rounds? Fine yeah being likable and on top probably means you survive but it isn't a good strat for winning the game. I hate it when people on my 3rd tribe that I haven't met yet have heard stories about how great I was in the first round. You should make your own impression, not leave it to others to make it for you. Those people could now be thinking you are a threat and someone they need to make a move on. I would rather take charge of a tribe mid game going into merge because it's one of the more dangerous times and easiest moment to make a move.

It's all preference tho. Every playstyle is capable of winning and some game setups require different playstyles. I just stand by that playing MOR is the best way to survive early game.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:11 pm

Post by Skelda »

I think we're just going to agree to disagree here. We're both very different players, and we both have had success with our different strategies. I'm not saying that your approach to the early game/the game in general is wrong (and I think more players on site play like you than play like me for what it's worth), but I do think you can't make sweeping statements like "playing MOR is the best way to survive early game". I just can't accept that. Yes, there are drawbacks to being seen as a threat in the game, but there are also drawbacks to being someone who is expendable to large numbers of people or who doesn't have the super tight relationships needed to make moves and have agency in how things proceed. Different strokes for different folks etc. etc. If we all played to be as MOR as possible, to me that wouldn't be a very exciting or interesting game anyway.

One thing I do firmly believe (and this is advice for both the early game and for the game in general) is that you should know yourself and play in a way that utilizes your strengths as a player. So if you are good at playing a sneaky UTR style game, great. If you have a fantastic social game, great. If you're a challenge beast, great. It isn't really about those individual ingredients, it's about knowing who you are as a player and knowing how to use who you are to get yourself into the best possible position. It isn't that a MOR game is better or worse than an aggro social game, but that some players are better at playing that kind of game. If the social game is what you're best at, but you're scared about being seen as a threat and so aren't as social as you could be, then because of that fear, you're letting what could have been one of your strongest assets lie fallow. If you're someone like Meme who is able to make crazy big-brain strategic plays, then you should lean into that and learn how to play that way and make it far. Variety is the spice of life.

And one final thing to note: I know that anyone can read this thread, but I was thinking about it with newer players in mind, and while less experienced players certainly do have a range in terms of personality/approach to the game, I think we see them playing not aggressively enough more often than we see them playing too aggressively. So for me, I think the early boots are more often people who aren't playing hard enough than people who are playing too hard, though there definitely are exceptions. For this reason, I think telling new players that one of their main concerns in the very beginning of the game should be their threat level is generally speaking not good general advice. Do some players need to hear it? Probably. But if you're a new player and you have a chance to really seize control and run your original tribe, I say go for it and worry about consequences which may or may not come later. That's what I would do anyway, but again, it might just not be your nature to take that kind of role and that's okay too.

I'm glad you have found a strategy that works for you. That's not my style, not my truth, and it isn't a lot of other people's either.
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm

Post by DeathNote »

Well... I'm making that statement haha. The point of this thread is to state how you play the early game and that's how I play it and how I think it's best played. Agreeing to disagree is pretty standard on MS, I don't mind. :) I totally agree that MOR players are boring but early game, it's the best strat.

Totally agree that people play differently so play what fits your style.

Hey new people! Don't get used early by the strong players. Play nice with them so they don't target you but don't latch onto them. Basically don't stand out if you can avoid it but don't be invisible either so... Middle of the road.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:51 pm

Post by Skelda »

And I say to new players, play hard! Don't be afraid to be a threat. Be bold. Be social. Make moves. Experiment. Learn who you are as a player and what particular challenges you face so that in the likely event you fail to win, you can refine and perfect your strategy in subsequent games.

We're like good cop/bad cop. Or ying and yang. Two sides of the same coin. Idk I don't have a good metaphor hahaha
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 am

Post by Malkon05 »

Best strat is to find 20 idols and pick people off one at a time tbh.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:50 pm

Post by Klick »

Yeah, occasionally when I lose a tough game of Rocket League, I get tilted and it messes with my mentality. I should have a better mindset tbh. Thanks AmandaKY!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:36 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 81, AmandaKY wrote:I've been playing Rocket League for 4 years now. I also want to give advice to new players, play more often and do not think about defeats. You learn, all the skill comes with the experience
baleeted!
green shirt thursdays
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 am

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Nah I prefer Malkon’s 20 idol approach sorry
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
tom98
tom98
Ninja
tom98
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:12 pm

Post by tom98 »

I guess so too
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:28 am

Post by Klick »

The spambots really love this thread
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:36 am

Post by xofelf »

Well, this one might not be a spambot. I'm waiting to see what else they post since they have in a couple threads so far.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:49 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

Well that was fast.

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”