SURVIVOR Marathon

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:50 am

Post by Silverclaw »

Actually, I messed up the Hectic vote. That should have been a stable vote. So everyone but Skelda should get a 4 and Skelda should have a three - I'll post the updated table on the bottom of the post.

In regards to the GerogeBailey vote, however, is where you're entirely incorrect. In order to determine whether a vote is stable or not you need to pass the Landslide Test AND the Pagong Test:

and the votes are scored as such:

However, this is a general guide - Survivor is a game that this system never has and never fully will be able to perfectly give you how to call EVERY scenario. Nothing can, and here's where the problem arrives. The GeorgeBailey vote is classified as a dynamic vote - it passes both tests. Intent
doesn't matter
until you get to calling scores that don't quite fit. So I either have to give xof a 2 and penalize her for strategically voting against the group, despite having the information that would allow them to vote in the majority or I have to give them a 5 and pay homage to the fact that xof was fully aware of the vote and who was leaving.

I can't give them a 3, they received no votes. Likewise, I can't give them a 4. The only option remaining is to go against the core of the system and call the vote stable, at which point why am I bothering with the system at all?
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:51 am

Post by Silverclaw »

And the fixed table:

Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:58 am

Post by Skelda »

Wait I wasn't talking about whether a vote was dynamic or stable.

I think it's just a flaw in the system tbh. I agree with your choice, but I also think many many people historically have voted in the minority knowing it was the minority for various reasons and I don't think their scores have usually accounted for that, especially if they voted for the person they actually did want to go home after failing to make it happen.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:03 am

Post by Silverclaw »

I can guarantee that I talked to xof about the GeorgeBailey and Hectic votes and they were jury management votes, not "I'm looking to eliminate skelda" votes. And this logic has been used in the past for when people split the vote due to idol fears despite knowing the target, so I'm using the same logic and applying it here.

I'll fully admit to not being Crazy and not being able to make the same calls he'd make, but I'm going off past judgement calls so future ones make sense.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:08 am

Post by xofelf »

The reason we score a lot of these as the games are ongoing is so that we can ask the people who voted in the minority whether it was intentional or not, or use confessionals to weigh that out. It's not always perfect, but attempts get made to reflect that in scores as much as possible.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:11 am

Post by panthaleon »

Ultimately attempts to understand or rationalize a jury in any empirical way are doomed to failure. It's a toss up on whether the members of the jury thought of themselves as players of a game who were outplayed, or victims of a nefarious villain.

Like the ethics of pagonging is probably the most infuriating aspect of attempting to play survivor on MS. There is so much lip service paid to "pagong bad" until you are in the majority at a merge. At that point, people come to appreciate the value of the pagong.

It is annoying how irrational and fickle juries tend to be, but perhaps that is their charm. I am curious if it's better to view survivor in the tradition of magic or poker, where it is accepted that the wrong player will win and that's just part of the fun.
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:12 am

Post by panthaleon »

This is, of course, no disrespect to xof who has probably the strongest social game of anyone in MS history, and thus should win any jury that values that over strategic play
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”