Hydra Discussion Thread

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:02 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 22, Haschel Cedricson wrote:All of these games were either Advanced or Complex on the rating scale. In terms of which games should have them I would say that they should probably never be in a Vanilla game and used extremely sparingly in a Standard. If it IS a standard game then they should be limited in number and also expressly flagged out as such to the players.
Quick note to this - personal opinion here, but unless the hydras are a part of the mechanics of the game, it should be made aware
regardless of the game type.
I'd even take this a step further, and
force hydras to sign or otherwise make it VERY AWARE WHICH HEAD IS CURRENTLY ACTIVE.
I didn't force this in Barely Survivor, each hydra came to that decision on their own and I think it's very important for clarity reasons.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

To take this a little bit further, I've always said that game design should start with a thesis statement and every twist or design choice should advance that thesis in some manner. I don't think mods should throw in hydrae for no reason.

Equestria's thesis was "Friendship Is Magic", so it made sense to allow a single hydra.
Barely Survivor's thesis was, as best I can tell, "cheap and terrible in a way that isn't ACTUALLY cheap and terrible". Hydrae weren't part of the original design but I don't think as implemented they took anything away from it.
KSS specifically wanted to "introduce despair" as their thesis, and surprise latecomers with secrets is on-brand.
Arkham City was basically the game with lots of good ideas thrown in with little consideration to how they all worked together. Thematically Two-Face made sense but ultimately I think Two-Face being a hydra doesn't even crack the Top Ten of wacky things about Arkham.

If a game doesn't have a thesis where hydrae make sense, then they shouldn't be in the game for the sake of having them in the game.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:05 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 25, Silverclaw wrote:
In post 22, Haschel Cedricson wrote:All of these games were either Advanced or Complex on the rating scale. In terms of which games should have them I would say that they should probably never be in a Vanilla game and used extremely sparingly in a Standard. If it IS a standard game then they should be limited in number and also expressly flagged out as such to the players.
Quick note to this - personal opinion here, but unless the hydras are a part of the mechanics of the game, it should be made aware
force hydras to sign or otherwise make it VERY AWARE WHICH HEAD IS CURRENTLY ACTIVE.
I didn't force this in Barely Survivor, each hydra came to that decision on their own and I think it's very important for clarity reasons.
I mean I do also feel like there should've been different accounts for each of the two heads of the hydras.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:09 pm

Post by Skelda »

I would be down with saying that hydrae either add points to a game's complexity or can only be included in games of a certain complexity. I know practically, a lot of times hydrae join games bc specific players request them, like Malkon and Flum in Equestria. But if I joined a Standard or Vanilla game wanting a pure Survivor experience with few twists and a hydra was present, to me that is a significant twist.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Okay there are a couple subjects at play.

Subject 1: Do Hydras Inherently Advantage the players?

I'm not sure that the theory on this is as clear cut as people think. Sure having a partner you can bounce ideas off of is a major bonus. However, if you have 2 people who very much are not on the same page you can have anti synergy that makes the hydra work a lot worse that the sum of its parts, especially if they disagree on literally anything. And while maybe if one head messes up people will still be fine with the other, it can equally be the case that one of the heads (*cough* Malkon *cough*) turns people off more than the other could. Also with challenges being split between heads, you can't just end up with a social and challenge superplayers.

Subject 2: What purpose should Hydras serve?

I really think that Hydras are a really good way to let newer players be able to engage in more Advanced games. I don't think anyone likes the idea of someone new coming in, not knowing what to do, and immediately getting booted learning very little. It isn't fun for the person that got booted and it doesn't help grow the community. I also like them helping out players who are busy but still have a mind for the game as we saw with T&H. Like are people seriously going to argue game without Radja is better for everyone than game with Radja? Lastly, while those other two are pragmatic, hydras kind of sound like a fun time for two people who get along, but that would probably be best saved for a Big Brother all hydra game, since honestly that idea sounds amazing to me.

Subject 3: Are there better ways of handling the problems set up in 2?

On activity, there really isn't, the only question is whether you just prefer that someone who wants to play but is busy not sign up at all. On helping newbies, well Hydras are a lot more flexible than teams/partner twists. Teams and partner twists require you to build an entire game around a mechanic and frankly, that's just not going to happen very often. We can get those occasionally, but yeah no. Meanwhile Hydras can be implemented in most Advanced/Complex games, and since we only get a handful of new players/people with V/LA issues every game it can just cater to that group without having to overhaul an entire game. Not to mention that even with like partners/coaches twists, typically the partner can't see your PMs, and learning how to PM is both a very major aspect of the game and one that is hard to teach without some PMs right in front of you.

Overall I think Hydras are a smart tool to be used in specific situations. Also someone make an all hydra Big Brother game.
George Bailey
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

In post 27, D3f3nd3r wrote:
I mean I do also feel like there should've been different accounts for each of the two heads of the hydras.
Then you just create a groupchat with both of them and congratulations it's basically the same thing? Feels pointless and clogging.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:23 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 30, Silverclaw wrote:
Then you just create a groupchat with both of them and congratulations it's basically the same thing? Feels pointless and clogging.
And what happens when you have different non-strategy-related conversations with both heads? Feels confusing and clogging.

(profile pic by datisi)
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Post by xofelf »

In post 31, D3f3nd3r wrote:
And what happens when you have different non-strategy-related conversations with both heads? Feels confusing and clogging.
If they're signing their posts, it's exactly like being in a group chat. It's not that bad at all. It's really no different either way.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:32 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

That's on the hydras for making conversations difficult, which will just get them voted out faster if they can't stay on one topic.

This however could seriously have repercussions when a player decides to only talk to one hydra and not the other, or does a total stupid and forgets that the two accounts are one hydra [With how often you see people failing basic tasks like PM'ing the right player, this will happen a lot].
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:34 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

FTR, the real problem point for hydras isn't the PM'ing thing, its the burnout thing, because hydras allow one player to take a break from the game for a day to recharge, which is a potential problem moreso than people not liking what is basically groupchats.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:40 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

In post 32, xofelf wrote:
If they're signing their posts, it's exactly like being in a group chat. It's not that bad at all. It's really no different either way.
I think the reason I'm weirded out here is like, if this was a non-anon game and you were on a tribe with a hydra, you would never attempt to reach out to either head individually?

(profile pic by datisi)
Snakes
Snakes
I Will Survive
Snakes
I Will Survive
I Will Survive

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:16 pm

Post by Snakes »

In post 22, Haschel Cedricson wrote:Right, let's explore this mechanic. Here are the games that have featured hydrae:

Arkham City:
Two-Face
Killing School Semester:
Korekiyo and Toko
Equestria:
Flim and Flam
Barely Survivor:
Tortoise/Hare, Droids, Lindsay Lohan

All four games handled this in very different ways.

Arkham City had it as a surprise hydra; the players were unaware that hydras were a possibility. It was done almost 100% for flavor reasons (mods can correct me if I'm wrong here. Killing School Semester still had them as surprise hydra but treated them like different players; the hydrae were introduced after the game had already started and entered the game late as "transfer students". This gave players an indication that *something* was potentially up with them, and the character choices were hints that more than one player might be behind the wheel. This was always an intended mechanic; it was planned that there would be hydras in the game before KSS went into signups.

Equestria was different; there was no mechanical reason for Flim and Flam to be a hydra. What happened was Malkon and Flum both came to me and said that neither one really wanted to play a full game by themselves but asked if they would be able to hydra. The idea amused me so I agreed on the condition that I got to pick their character, and I gave them Flim and Flam as a clue to the players.

Finally, Barely Survivor allowed hydrae as an afterthought but before signups completed. It was publicly known that hydrae would be in the game and furthermore they were intentionally flagged as such by virtue of having "X and Y" names. This allowed players to know exactly what they were dealing with.

All of these games were either Advanced or Complex on the rating scale. In terms of which games should have them I would say that they should probably never be in a Vanilla game and used extremely sparingly in a Standard. If it IS a standard game then they should be limited in number and also expressly flagged out as such to the players.
Zack & Cody from Disney were a hydra too, right?

Overall, I would say that being in a hydra gives you an advantage. Sure, it can go wrong if the two heads aren't on the same page, but in a game like Survivor, it is so beneficial to have someone you can bounce ideas off of and get advice from who you know is never going to betray you.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:17 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 29, VashtaNeurotic wrote:I'm not sure that the theory on this is as clear cut as people think. Sure having a partner you can bounce ideas off of is a major bonus. However, if you have 2 people who very much are not on the same page you can have anti synergy that makes the hydra work a lot worse that the sum of its parts, especially if they disagree on literally anything. And while maybe if one head messes up people will still be fine with the other, it can equally be the case that one of the heads (*cough* Malkon *cough*) turns people off more than the other could. Also with challenges being split between heads, you can't just end up with a social and challenge superplayers.
I really don't think you should evaluate this in this way. "Well yeah SURE it can be a huge advantage but sometimes if the partners don't get along it's not a huge advantage!" That's not, mechanically, something you can balance for. Similarly, you can't balance a game around "well sure, someone COULD use this item as it's intended to be used... or, the person who gets the item could wind up being a big dumbass and not use it at all!" You cannot balance for the scenarios where things won't be used to their fullest advantage. You have to work under the assumption that they will be utilized.

This is kind of the whole problem.

The sheer advantage of having someone who you know has your best interests/goals in mind and won't lie to you or mislead you... that's
fucking enormous
. It's huge. It gives hydra that one singular advantage over every other player in the game and therefore throws off the balance entirely. There are plenty of other advantages I think hydras get, such as limiting burnout or allowing people to tag out when they need a break whereas solo players can't do it, but they're irrelevant. This one advantage (which isn't even debatable, it's objective fact that it's an advantage) unfairly advantages the game towards hydras vs. solo players.

I am kinda like flabbergasted we're even having this discussion. It's why hydras should've been banned in mafia a long time ago too but nobody took it seriously.
Literally the winner of the game is called the SOLE Survivor? Not really "sole" survivor if multiple people are winning together, is it?
green shirt thursdays
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:36 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

(Also mods are always going to attempt to group players together such that they are much more likely than not to get along.)

(profile pic by datisi)
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:57 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 34, Silverclaw wrote:FTR, the real problem point for hydras isn't the PM'ing thing, its the burnout thing, because hydras allow one player to take a break from the game for a day to recharge, which is a potential problem moreso than people not liking what is basically groupchats.
Correct. Having Radja take over the end of FTC when I was burned out would have been what won us the game if the vote tied 4-4 and it went to avocado's tiebreaker.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:02 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 12, Noraa wrote:I think in a way hydras are advantageous for two reasons
1) you have one true ally that will never betray you
and
2) you have two chances.

What I mean by number 2 is that if one head fucks up, people will still give the other head a chance.
Point 2 is incorrect.

Nobody said "Damn, hare screwed up for voting maggie, but tortoise is chill so who cares" or "Damn, whatever droid suggested the bees blindside screwed up, but the other one is fine". One person screws up, it tanks both their games. Because they are a single slot. That's how it works.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:07 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

In post 37, xRECKONERx wrote:
In post 29, VashtaNeurotic wrote:I'm not sure that the theory on this is as clear cut as people think. Sure having a partner you can bounce ideas off of is a major bonus. However, if you have 2 people who very much are not on the same page you can have anti synergy that makes the hydra work a lot worse that the sum of its parts, especially if they disagree on literally anything. And while maybe if one head messes up people will still be fine with the other, it can equally be the case that one of the heads (*cough* Malkon *cough*) turns people off more than the other could. Also with challenges being split between heads, you can't just end up with a social and challenge superplayers.
I really don't think you should evaluate this in this way. "Well yeah SURE it can be a huge advantage but sometimes if the partners don't get along it's not a huge advantage!" That's not, mechanically, something you can balance for. Similarly, you can't balance a game around "well sure, someone COULD use this item as it's intended to be used... or, the person who gets the item could wind up being a big dumbass and not use it at all!" You cannot balance for the scenarios where things won't be used to their fullest advantage. You have to work under the assumption that they will be utilized.

This is kind of the whole problem.

The sheer advantage of having someone who you know has your best interests/goals in mind and won't lie to you or mislead you... that's
fucking enormous
. It's huge. It gives hydra that one singular advantage over every other player in the game and therefore throws off the balance entirely. There are plenty of other advantages I think hydras get, such as limiting burnout or allowing people to tag out when they need a break whereas solo players can't do it, but they're irrelevant. This one advantage (which isn't even debatable, it's objective fact that it's an advantage) unfairly advantages the game towards hydras vs. solo players.

I am kinda like flabbergasted we're even having this discussion. It's why hydras should've been banned in mafia a long time ago too but nobody took it seriously.
Literally the winner of the game is called the SOLE Survivor? Not really "sole" survivor if multiple people are winning together, is it?
I guess it's fair to say that we need to evaluate the best scenario in terms of hydras, and when they work, they can end up being stronger than either player is capable individually. Even in that case, I'm still fine with it. Firstly, I don't think it advantages them so much that it just makes the game unfair. Like Flim Flam was made up of two winners and yet it didn't break the game, T&H might have won but they literally almost went out mid merge. Also, lots of inherent advantages exist in survivor, experience, activity, challenge ability that advantage certain players, but none of them end up breaking the game. In fact, I think it's best for these to be used in cases where people have significant disadvantages in those areas (well maybe not challenge ability, but the point is still there). After all, Survivor isn't a sport, so I'm more than fine with giving some people a better chance at success if, on balance, it makes the game higher quality and allows more people to play.

I really don't think the sole survivor point really weighs much. Survivor also takes place on an island live over 39 days where people don't have any other concerns. Forum survivor is inherently different from "normal" survivor and allows us to do very different things. Not to mention the game evolves over time, like final 3s, idols and redemption are all changes that have occurred that went against the original "thesis" of the game and yet, are mainstays.
George Bailey
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami
Pronoun: ze/zir

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:10 pm

Post by Noraa »

In post 40, Awoo wrote:
In post 12, Noraa wrote:I think in a way hydras are advantageous for two reasons
1) you have one true ally that will never betray you
and
2) you have two chances.

What I mean by number 2 is that if one head fucks up, people will still give the other head a chance.
Point 2 is incorrect.

Nobody said "Damn, hare screwed up for voting maggie, but tortoise is chill so who cares" or "Damn, whatever droid suggested the bees blindside screwed up, but the other one is fine". One person screws up, it tanks both their games. Because they are a single slot. That's how it works.
yeah maybe not if you mess up badly but if its a small mistake, it is possible

As well as if one member is less liked, they can send the other member for certain things like talking about votes towards the end or ftc.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Come play Guess that Scummer OR ELSE
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:36 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 41, VashtaNeurotic wrote:Even in that case, I'm still fine with it.
That's buck wild to me that you can openly say "It is inherently unfair and advantages one slot over another but I don't care".

I dunno why striving for equality across slots isn't high on the priority list.
green shirt thursdays
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 43, xRECKONERx wrote:
That's buck wild to me that you can openly say "It is inherently unfair and advantages one slot over another but I don't care".

lol~ a first timer has very low chances of winning. Pairing them up with someone as opposed to having them play alone increases equality across player slots.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:47 pm

Post by Skelda »

I think the debate isn't about whether there is an advantage to playing as a hydra, but about how big the advantage is/if there are enough other benefits of hydras to outweigh that significant disadvantage.

I don't even disagree with you, like my gut is against hydras and I think about all of my worst moments in games and how much better I would have handled them if I wasn't in it alone. Especially Hare passing off his final speech to Tortoise when he was burnt out was a moment where I was like, "Man I would love that to have that option," especially when contrasted with Rey who was clearly also burnt out but had to write a speech herself which ultimately cost her Avo's vote (and maybe other votes as well).

A lot of Survivor twists are about deciding what degree of "unfairness" we are willing to accept in order for the betterment of the overall game though, and I don't really view hydras any differently.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:16 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 44, Awoo wrote:

lol~ a first timer has very low chances of winning. Pairing them up with someone as opposed to having them play alone increases equality across player slots.
Yes, a first-timer has a low chance of winning. That's because learning how to play these types of games takes time and experience to learn, so when you do get better and play well and get far. A first-timer should almost always lose to experienced players in every game that isn't Mario Party. LSGs aren't Mario Party.
In post 45, Skelda wrote:

I think the debate isn't about whether there is an advantage to playing as a hydra, but about how big the advantage is/if there are enough other benefits of hydras to outweigh that significant disadvantage.

I don't even disagree with you, like my gut is against hydras and I think about all of my worst moments in games and how much better I would have handled them if I wasn't in it alone. Especially Hare passing off his final speech to Tortoise when he was burnt out was a moment where I was like, "Man I would love that to have that option," especially when contrasted with Rey who was clearly also burnt out but had to write a speech herself which ultimately cost her Avo's vote (and maybe other votes as well).

A lot of Survivor twists are about deciding what degree of "unfairness" we are willing to accept in order for the betterment of the overall game though, and I don't really view hydras any differently.
I think hydras fundamentally upset the nature of the game. Like to the point where if hydras become commonplace there's a 0% chance I would play LSGs ever again even if I had time. Yes there are twists in the game, the thing is all players are reacting to twists equally on the same footing. Hydras being in the game is inherently just one side has an advantage period the end and it has nothing to do with how the game unfolds, it's just straight up a starting point of unfairness.
green shirt thursdays
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:22 pm

Post by Awoo »

Counterpoint: Immunity idols and items are secret. Hydras, except in a few games where they were the tricky twist, are public knowledge.

You can intentionally vote out hydras so they don't get to FTC. It's literally that easy. Treat them like any other jury threat and don't give them the option to trade off writing speeches. Choosing who you want at the end is a known mechanic in survivor.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:24 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 47, Awoo wrote:Counterpoint: Immunity idols and items are secret. Hydras, except in a few games where they were the tricky twist, are public knowledge.

You can intentionally vote out hydras so they don't get to FTC. It's literally that easy. Treat them like any other jury threat and don't give them the option to trade off writing speeches. Choosing who you want at the end is a known mechanic in survivor.
You are incapable of seeing why idols (something available to all players) and twists (something that equally affects all players) are different from starting from a place of inequality, yes?

I believe I'm done here then.
green shirt thursdays
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:27 pm

Post by Awoo »

Did you just say twists equally affect all players

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”