Hydra Discussion Thread

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:11 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 72, Skelda wrote:I'll tell you one thing, this thread is really making me never want to play as a hydra because I feel like even if you win as a hydra, people are gonna be like "oh no, you were a hydra, such a huuuuuuge advantage" and it's almost like your win doesn't fully count. That sounds pretty depressing to me.
good
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:12 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

I'm not saying this about the most recent win at all. Hydra or not, they would've won at that Final 3 regardless. They deserve the win, but there will always be an asterisk on any hydra wins IMO
green shirt thursdays
DeathNote
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
DeathNote
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:18 am

Post by DeathNote »

In post 72, Skelda wrote:I'll tell you one thing, this thread is really making me never want to play as a hydra because I feel like even if you win as a hydra, people are gonna be like "oh no, you were a hydra, such a huuuuuuge advantage" and it's almost like your win doesn't fully count. That sounds pretty depressing to me.
Sounds like redemption. Never understood why that mechanic is used when half the players have no interest in it.
Looking for love in Alderaan places.
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:31 am

Post by Skelda »

In post 77, DeathNote wrote:
Sounds like redemption. Never understood why that mechanic is used when half the players have no interest in it.
It hasn't really been used that much, and I haven't heard anyone criticize hydras until this very moment.
Haschel Cedricson
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Haschel Cedricson
Mr. Know It All
Mr. Know It All

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 am

Post by Haschel Cedricson »

In post 77, DeathNote wrote:
Once the hydra discussion is done I'd be interested in a series looking at specific mechanics from previous games, analyzing what worked and what didn't, and discussing the benefits and disadvantages of the mechanic in general and I was thinking of starting off with Redemption twists.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:16 am

Post by Awoo »

Oh, that sounds awesome. The redemption twists this game were particularly cool and I would love to look at things more indepth.
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 am

Post by Silverclaw »

+1 for the Twist Discussion Thread! I'd love to talk more about Redemption and why I did what I did with it here.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:53 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 0, Silverclaw wrote:Good to have, by no means mandatory.
Only sometimes, so people who don't like them have their preference met sometimes as well
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:56 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 3, Skelda wrote:I'm curious to know if we think hydraing is an advantage or a disadvantage for the players in the game
Imo, it is an advantage strategically as you get someone to bounce ideas off of. It doesn't matter for challenges, given the barely survivor rules where you are forced to trade off. Socially I think it is a disadvantage somewhat, as it is really hard to manage.
GTKAMURDERCAT

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:07 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 63, Silverclaw wrote:I got to play with June during the marathon survivor if it helps, and she's actually really good on her own too. This was a situation where literally no one in the game but me would have possibly known who she was, and June was a total standout player. I'm confident in her ability.
:rocks:
GTKAMURDERCAT

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:10 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 66, DeathNote wrote:An all hydra game
I think this is the solution. Occasionally run all hydra games, there seemed to be a lot of interest. For what it's worth, I was very happy that June and I got to play together as she wouldn't have signed up otherwise and now that she got a taste she is interested in playing more. But we probably won't seek out being in a hydra again short of an all hydra game as we are now both invested and interested in how well we do individually.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:50 pm

Post by Skelda »

I don't see all-hydra games becoming common, but it would be nice to have one.
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

I really doubt you could wrangle two dozen players willing to be in hydras for a 12-slot game with any sort of regularity. I think it'd be fun to do once but also the appeal seems like it'll dry out very fast since there's really not a ton of design space with a 12-slot game. Like we've only been talking about doing it as BB, because Survivor isn't going to be feasible.
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
D3f3nd3r
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
D3f3nd3r
he/him
Best Social Game
Best Social Game

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:01 pm

Post by D3f3nd3r »

Monty how many cuts (if any) did you have to make for Magic Kingdom?
“The assumption of good faith is dead”

(profile pic by datisi)
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:09 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

I guess my definition of occasionally is like every other year? I don't think people who want to be in hydras should be prioritized over people who don't like them and I was prepared to play alone. An option could be to ask on the sign up form and only allow them if everyone is ok with them.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:56 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

I could see it being an every so often thing, but putting it on a schedule is probably a bad idea given the number of games that run a year normally.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Post by Awoo »

In post 87, D3f3nd3r wrote:I really doubt you could wrangle two dozen players willing to be in hydras for a 12-slot game with any sort of regularity. I think it'd be fun to do once but also the appeal seems like it'll dry out very fast since there's really not a ton of design space with a 12-slot game. Like we've only been talking about doing it as BB, because Survivor isn't going to be feasible.
all hydra game but the twist is SOMEONE secretly isn't a hydra ;)
Skelda
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Skelda
he/him
Zee Retiree
Zee Retiree

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Post by Skelda »

In post 87, D3f3nd3r wrote:I really doubt you could wrangle two dozen players willing to be in hydras for a 12-slot game with any sort of regularity. I think it'd be fun to do once but also the appeal seems like it'll dry out very fast since there's really not a ton of design space with a 12-slot game. Like we've only been talking about doing it as BB, because Survivor isn't going to be feasible.
The horrible part is that with a 12 person hydra BB game...you're essentially PMing/getting to know 22 people on round one! It would be insane trying to keep track of everyone.
PrivateI
PrivateI
The Real Friend
PrivateI
The Real Friend
The Real Friend

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:36 pm

Post by PrivateI »

In post 88, D3f3nd3r wrote:Monty how many cuts (if any) did you have to make for Magic Kingdom?
2-3 pairs sounds right, but this is also a very long time ago. Half that cast (and my comod) are out of commission at this point.
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:35 pm

Post by Fluminator »

Playing a hydra in a survivor game was extremely fun and I will forever treasure that game, but there is no way they should be allowed normally.
The advantage to it if both players are actually trying to win is too big.

It might be acceptable if it's public knowledge but only then. imo

Blood vs. Water setup is probably better than an all hydra game
Malkon05
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Malkon05
He/Him/His
Mashtermind
Mashtermind
Pronoun: He/Him/His

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:34 pm

Post by Malkon05 »

In post 94, Fluminator wrote:Playing a hydra in a survivor game was extremely fun and I will forever treasure that game

omegah it flammykins muah ;)
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:30 pm

Post by Fluminator »

flimmy <3 stll tinkin bout de idolll krillin muahs :;(
Aronis
Aronis
Just here for the Pagetop!
Aronis

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:09 pm

Post by Aronis »

Like I'm mostly against hydras and returnees on a game design level, but for me- the job of survivor is to play the best you can and adapt to the twists in the game, so like I don't really think it'd be fair to immediately discount a returnee or hydra just because they made it that far in a game that allowed it. Because at the point that they lose an ftc instantly off of that seems fucked up. And so if you can prove you best adapted and played to the mechanics allowed, then you absolutely deserve my vote. But I may be in the minority regarding this view.
Awoo
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Awoo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:58 am

Post by Awoo »

Yeah... it was kind of secondhand embarrassing reading reck's FTC posts at the end of barely survivor. It was more feeling bad for him than ourselves though since I know there's at least one person like that in each game for the most part. Having people who don't want the winner to win is nothing new.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 98, Awoo wrote:Yeah... it was kind of secondhand embarrassing reading reck's FTC posts at the end of barely survivor. It was more feeling bad for him than ourselves though since I know there's at least one person like that in each game for the most part. Having people who don't want the winner to win is nothing new.
What is this in response to?
green shirt thursdays

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”