The List - Winner revealed!

For large social games such as Survivor where the primary mechanic is social interaction.
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #250 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:33 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 245, Noraa wrote:If I had a block of immunity cheese and it was F3 with Xalxe, Murder, and I, who would you(both of you can answer) tell me to use it on?
Yourself. Cheese is delicious, and DeathKitty and I would both lose to you in an F3 because Everybody Loves Noraa.
"I, too, would prefer to know the Xalxe of my demise." - Felissan, 2022
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #251 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:35 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 246, xofelf wrote:Hello friends. I have several questions for you.

The first being the obligatory gif the jurors question.

The second, what were your strategies for your lists? Did you have any? Did you every do any shady trading deals or purposefully try to screw somebody by placing them at the bottom?

The third, how happy to not have to write a speech are you?

I'll be back <3
1) this question gives me anxiety I'm coming back to it later

2) My strategy at the start was to save people who were bad at challenges (so I could beat them). I think JAPAN was at the top of my first list because lolwhomst? Later it was to save the people who saved me (anybody who saved me got the top spot the next round), as well as the people who talked to me. I didn't do anything shady until noraa ended up near (but not at) the bottom of my list at F8, and Ceph was at the bottom for F4; I like them both a lot and they were the two who talked to me the whole way through the most, but I knew I couldn't beat either of them.

3) I does what I wants
- On this day in history: mundanity, and terror, and food, and love, and trees -
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami
Pronoun: ze/zir

Post Post #252 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Post by Noraa »

In post 249, Xalxe wrote:MURDERCAT is a good
Is Xalxe a good?
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.
Come play Guess that Scummer OR ELSE
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #253 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:37 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 247, Cephrir wrote:hello i'm going to make you write speeches:

what did you do this game? i don't actually know what happened
I talked to people and made friends!

literally that's it

When you came to me and wanted noraa out I put her low (not that it ended up mattering) and at F4 MURDERCAT was like "yo we should put Ceph low" but I was always gonna do that because you'd beat me 6-1

Otherwise yeah I was just having a good time chatting and doin' challenges. Challenges are fun! Except slide puzzles!
racefan12
racefan12
Townie
racefan12
Townie
Townie

Post Post #254 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Post by racefan12 »

What should the jury value more: challenge performance or social performance, and why?
PrivateI:
I wish I could bang on the home keys on my keyboard to create an appeal to emotion. It sounds so...soothing.

CuddlyCaucasian:
Mafiascum: a land where pansexuality is widely accepted and understood while two people who share the same first name cause mass confusion

You have questions about me? I try to give you answers!
Xalxe
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
Xalxe
He/him
It's pronounced "Xalxe"
It's pronounced "Xalxe"

Post Post #255 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:40 pm

Post by Xalxe »

In post 252, Noraa wrote:
In post 249, Xalxe wrote:MURDERCAT is a good
Is Xalxe a good?
Dancer? no.
Person? I try.
The List player?
(alt text: Olmec, the stone face from Legends of the Hidden Temple, with text overlaid saying "The choices are yours and yours alone")
xofelf
xofelf
they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash
Pronoun: they/them(also ze/zem or xe/xem)

Post Post #256 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:45 pm

Post by xofelf »

Thank you for the sad realization there is at least one person in this jury who probably didn't know who that was until you captioned it.
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Get to reknow a xofelf here
Discord is faster than PMs or sitechat: xofelf#1697
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #257 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Post by Noraa »

me!
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #258 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:52 pm

Post by xofelf »

Yes, it was you <3
Xalxe: this is xofelf sometimes we call each other names and other times we share emotions
MattyP: Ur an enigma tho when it comes to circadian rhythm and the traditions we hold dear when it comes to the sun and the moon
Noraa
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
Noraa
ze/zir
fluffy tsunami
fluffy tsunami

Post Post #259 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 2:53 pm

Post by Noraa »

My vote has been unlocked. Murder why should I vote for you?
Silverclaw
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Silverclaw
He/They
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/They

Post Post #260 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 3:01 pm

Post by Silverclaw »

Alright jury, I don't care about ither of you as much as I care about
me
. The person who gives me the better reasons for how I'm so great will win my jury vote! :P

Yes, someone had to be "the salty juror". Yes, even in this XD.
Formerly animorpherv1.
rgqxi is your answer

xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #261 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 3:02 pm

Post by xofelf »

Followup, what's your favourite kind of salt?
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
NotAJumbleOfNumbers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #262 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 3:05 pm

Post by NotAJumbleOfNumbers »

Challenge time!

I don't really feel like giving a question related to LSGs at all, so here's a Scattergories list!
Spoiler: the list

Please fill this out in 120 seconds, and if your list is better than the other person's list, you'll get my vote!
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary
Protection unnecessary
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #263 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 3:07 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

how did i specifically affect your game if at all
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #264 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 3:12 pm

Post by xofelf »

In post 262, NotAJumbleOfNumbers wrote:Challenge time!

I don't really feel like giving a question related to LSGs at all, so here's a Scattergories list!
Spoiler: the list

Please fill this out in 120 seconds, and if your list is better than the other person's list, you'll get my vote!
I unironically love this question.
Raya36
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Raya36
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #265 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 3:55 pm

Post by Raya36 »

Who knew coming up with questions would be so hard :lol:

This is basically my first lsg, so could each of you give me a piece of constructive criticism based on your interactions with me?

What's your favourite animal? (saying wolf =/= brownie points)
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #266 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:27 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

First of all, thanks everyone for making this a super fun game! I really enjoyed getting to talk to both the friends I’ve known for a while and the people who I didn’t get to interact with much previously. Genuinely this has been one of the most fun things I’ve gotten to be a part of on this site.

First I’m going to talk about challenges and we can talk about the social stuff after.

ChallengeMURDERCATXalxe
113th
1st
7th
10th
37th
2nd
1st
7th
2nd
4th
1st
3rd

As you can see, I had a terribly slow start. I underestimated how quickly I would have to go to be competitive in the early challenges and I overcompensated by not checking my work in the pokémon challenge. These rounds will come up when I talk about social game, so I want to focus on what I did differently the last 3 rounds to perform better.

Round 4 was a much-needed confidence booster for me. While I don’t know much about basketball, I at least have played fantasy sports before and I knew that I was capable of performing well in any nontimed challenge. To get this win, I read a lot about daily fantasy sports and studied different sources about all the players that I was considering. I was able to get 88% of the score of the optimal lineup, which I was extremely happy with. This was also the round that Ceph’s threat level became extremely obvious to me, so going into round 5 I knew I needed to try to get first somehow. I practiced both types of puzzles for a few hours and, while Ceph was still out in front, I came ahead in a close battle in a challenge type that I would normally consider myself an underdog in. This gave me some momentum going into the last challenge. I knew that to have a realistic chance to win I needed to get first and finally knock out Ceph. I don’t think I’ve ever even done a slide puzzle, so I panicked a bit when I first saw it. But something about it just clicked and I knew I at least had a decent time. I honestly still expected Ceph to somehow have done it in 7 minutes, but luckily everything came out in my favor. Halfway through the game I thought I had no chance to get to the end (let alone win) so to do well it the final 3 challenges was a big deal for my game.

So how did I actually survive to the 4th round despite my poor performances early? That's where the social game came in. In the early game I knew that coming off as a gamebot would be bad, so I just reached out to everyone (expect the player who was MIA) and let people I already knew that they would be high on my list. Xof and I in particular wanted to work with each other right away and so that partnership was very important to me, because I knew xof knew everyone I didn't know. Still, 1 partner is not enough to reach the end, so in the early game I had deals with Noraa and Jumble as well. I also talked a fair bit to Silver and Raya to move up their lists after losing Jumble early. I also used my poor early challenges as a way to make myself look like someone who should be kept around. I made sure to mention how badly I had done knowing that, if any challenges ever came that were in my wheelhouse I would be able to take advantage. Towards the endgame, I made deals with everyone in the F5 besides Ceph, while also pushing for everyone to keep Ceph low on their lists (while I'm sure everyone would have done this anyway, it was a good way to be sure I was seen as less of a threat by comparison while making game moves). While I was able to make a lot of deals to ensure I was high on lists, I'm happy that I never had to lie to anyone to make that happen. I think keeping a social presence up with most of the players throughout the game made it easy to ask for deals when other allies left.

So to wrap this up, I think that my game had a great mix of social and challenge performance. I was able to coordinate deals that kept me alive when I performed poorly and in the endgame I took it upon myself to perform well and finally knock out the biggest threat to win. I leave you with all of the lists that I submitted, in case you want to ask any specific questions.

Spoiler: lists
Round 1
  1. xofelf
  2. Silverclaw
  3. Noraa
  4. NotAJumbleOfNumbers
  5. Cephrir
  6. Mist7676
  7. Save the Dragons
  8. Aronis
  9. Raya36
  10. Cheery Dog
  11. Xalxe
  12. Racefan12
  13. ButItsLegalInJapan
Round 2
  1. NotAJumbleOfNumbers
  2. xofelf
  3. Noraa
  4. Silverclaw
  5. Raya36
  6. Save the Dragons
  7. Racefan12
  8. Cephrir
  9. Cheery Dog
  10. Aronis
  11. Xalxe
Round 3
  1. xofelf
  2. Noraa
  3. Raya36
  4. Silverclaw
  5. Xalxe
  6. Save the Dragons
  7. Cephrir
  8. Racefan12
  9. Aronis
Round 4
  1. xofelf
  2. Noraa
  3. Raya36
  4. Xalxe
  5. Racefan12
  6. Save the Dragons
  7. Cephrir
Round 5
  1. xofelf
  2. Xalxe
  3. Save the Dragons
  4. Racefan12
  5. Cephrir
Round 6
  1. Save the Dragons
  2. Xalxe
  3. Cephrir
GTKAMURDERCAT

Retired from playing, find me on discord
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #267 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:29 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 245, Noraa wrote:If I had a block of immunity cheese and it was F3 with Xalxe, Murder, and I, who would you(both of you can answer) tell me to use it on?
As you know I am vegan, so it couldn't be me! I would of course use it on you as I have a feeling you would appreciate it the most.
GTKAMURDERCAT

xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #268 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:31 pm

Post by xofelf »

*gasp* I wasn't first on your list once? Friendship ended with MURDERCAT, Xalxe is my new best friend now.
xofelf
xofelf
Miss Mash
xofelf
Miss Mash
Miss Mash

Post Post #269 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:32 pm

Post by xofelf »

(you know, while we ignore that he's been in my sig for years, and a picture from SM1 of the two of us was my FB profile pic for a while. Clearly we've never been friends ever)
MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #270 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:35 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 246, xofelf wrote:Hello friends. I have several questions for you.
:D
In post 246, xofelf wrote: The first being the obligatory gif the jurors question.
I assume this means I need to provide a gif that somehow relates to or describes each juror? It's my first time :oops:
(I will do this tomorrow when I can put some thought into it!)
In post 246, xofelf wrote: The second, what were your strategies for your lists? Did you have any? Did you every do any shady trading deals or purposefully try to screw somebody by placing them at the bottom?
Early on, my strategy was basically to rank order people in terms of how likely people were to work with me in the future, as those were the people I wanted around. Even if I thought they would be good at challenges, for the first 3 rounds I didn't worry about that as much (however, people that were good at challenges who I didn't think I was likely to work with went right to the bottom). I didn't do anything shady, except perhaps being a bit generous when describing someone would be "high" on my list where high could have been e.g. 4th. But all of my trades for spots were straightup. Around F6 I started to encourage people to place Ceph at the bottom, but otherwise I didn't concern myself much with where anyone else ended up on other's lists.
In post 246, xofelf wrote: The third, how happy to not have to write a speech are you?
oops
GTKAMURDERCAT

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #271 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:36 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 247, Cephrir wrote:hello i'm going to make you write speeches:

what did you do this game? i don't actually know what happened
Hopefully answered! Mostly I made it my mission to get you out
GTKAMURDERCAT

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #272 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 252, Noraa wrote:Is Xalxe a good?
Xalxe was a pleasure to meet and play with :D
GTKAMURDERCAT

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #273 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:41 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 254, racefan12 wrote:What should the jury value more: challenge performance or social performance, and why?
I think, given the way they interact, you have to look at them together. I don't think I would be particularly compelled by a player who won out like Ceph almost did if they didn't have the social game to back it up, and I don't think I would vote for a player who got saved every single round. I think I would look at it as, how safe were you each round? If you had lost that challenge, how high were you on players lists? Did 1 ally keep saving you or did you have multiple backup plans? How did you do in the must win challenges?
GTKAMURDERCAT

MURDERCAT
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
MURDERCAT
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #274 (ISO) » Sun May 09, 2021 4:43 pm

Post by MURDERCAT »

In post 259, Noraa wrote:My vote has been unlocked. Murder why should I vote for you?
In short, better challenge performances overall, strong social game that utilized relationships with many different players, and taking out the biggest threat to win to get myself to the F2.
GTKAMURDERCAT

Return to “ORGs and Large Social Games”